Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I was wondering how I derive a monomer from it's corresponding polymer, given the process (addition), this is one of them I'm struggling with.

This is the repeat unit of the addition polymer, I seem to think the monomer is (CH3)2-C=CH2

But it apparently it is H2C=CHCH3

Thanks,
    Sek.

ReputationRep:
    Its H2C=C(CH3)2
    Isn't it? It should be

ReputationRep:
    Id agree with you personally. Im not quite sure what theyve done there.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sekonda)
    I was wondering how I derive a monomer from it's corresponding polymer, given the process (addition), this is one of them I'm struggling with.

This is the repeat unit of the addition polymer, I seem to think the monomer is (CH3)2-C=CH2

Thanks,
    Sek.
    It doesnt seem right, if there was just one methyl group on the monomer H2C=CHCH3, then there wold be just one methyl group in a repeat unit. So it looks like you are right? :confused:
    • Community Assistant
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Study Helper
    (Original post by Sekonda)

Thanks,
    Sek.
    As you have correctly identified, the formula of the monomer has to be the same as that of the polymer unit plus 1 double bond to make up the valency of carbon.

The mark scheme is wrong.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks guys, I usually just assume the chemists who write the OCR chemistry books are right, but they were bound to make a silly error like with most mark schemes here and there.

Thanks for the clarification!
    Sek.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.