Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Religion is nothing more than a Demographic need? Watch

ReputationRep:
    i have been thinking a lot recently about Religion and this just a theory i have come up with. That its only a necessary for the first three stages of the transition model.

I Think this is why large parts of the middle east/africa cannot develop, as the stranglehold of religion is too tight. (obviously there are other factors)

personally i really feel there is a god and his the abrahamic one. (Christian, Jewish and Muslim) but sometimes the more i feel this theory is more correct.

what does everyone else think ?

ReputationRep:
    A demographic need?

I deplore the idea that religion is 'needed' by anyone - it isn't.

Secondly, I think too that religion is responsible for the vast majority of the barricades to intellectual, economical, technological, moral, and general societal progress, not just in undeveloped countries, but even here, in MEDCs.

ReputationRep:
    It's not neccessary, the model just models what actually happens - for a country to reach stage four the birth rate has to go down which only happens when people forget this silly notion that contraception is bad, mostly pushed by religion and not common sense.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by stewart91)
    i have been thinking a lot recently about Religion and this just a theory i have come up with. That its only a necessary for the first three stages of the transition model.

I Think this is why large parts of the middle east/africa cannot develop, as the stranglehold of religion is too tight. (obviously there are other factors)

personally i really feel there is a god and his the abrahamic one. (Christian, Jewish and Muslim) but sometimes the more i feel this theory is more correct.

Religion was never against development
    http://www.muslimheritage.org/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Phugoid)
    A demographic need?

I deplore the idea that religion is 'needed' by anyone - it isn't.

Secondly, I think too that religion is responsible for the vast majority of the barricades to intellectual, economical, technological, moral, and general societal progress, not just in undeveloped countries, but even here, in MEDCs.

And finally, I think you're an idiot for believing that there is a God when there is no evidence to suggest this, and I think you're even more of an idiot for believing it is the Abrahamic God (whatever that means).
    Where is the evidence that he does not exist? evolution ? could merely be the means of creation, I don't know. you been told by darwin there is no god. How is that different too been told by John, Mark, Peter and Paul, Muhammad.

You can't be an idiot for believing in something and judging by your remarks you have never researched to any real level any religion, and believe what your GCSE science book is implying.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by saalih)
    Religion was never against development
    http://www.muslimheritage.org/
    sorry i am not saying it prevents it more so it slows it down.

ReputationRep:
    Where is the evidence that he does not exist? evolution ? could merely be the means of creation, I don't know. you been told by darwin there is no god. How is that different too been told by John, Mark, Peter and Paul, Muhammad.
    Lol, are you serious? Seriously?

I don't know where to start with this.

Okay. First of all, I didn't say that God doesn't exist. I didn't say there was evidence that God doesn't exist. However, that doesn't change the fact that there is no evidence that he DOES exist.

As an example, if I told you that I just ate some nuts, you don't have any evidence to suggest that I'm telling the truth. You ALSO don't have any evidence to suggest that I'm lying however. So what do you do? Do you believe me, or not? Well, the answer is ... neither. If there is no evidence either way, then you'd be an idiot to make a decision either way.

Secondly, Darwin's work was nothing to do with proving that there is or isn't a God. Darwin was a naturalist, and his theory of evolution is a biological masterpiece... it doesn't pretend to be evidence that there is no God, it doesn't pretend to be evidence that there is a God. Officially, Evolution is neutral on the issue of God.

So I don't know what you're foaming about.

You can't be an idiot for believing in something and judging by your remarks you have never researched to any real level any religion, and believe what your GCSE science book is implying.
    Yes, you can be an idiot for believing in something. If somebody believed he was a tree when he clearly isn't a tree, then he's an idiot, or simply deluded.

Unless there is evidence to support your beliefs, it is idiotic to believe them.

ReputationRep:
    sorry i am not saying it prevents it more so it slows it down.
    i disagree...

because in the past, it was the religious people who were inventing and exploring in science, so why would it be any different today?

ReputationRep:
    Really I thought it would be the repressive dictatorial regimes within those countries? In the Middle East the majority of its leaders are ardently against any religious opposition to them, we can see this in Egypt, Jordan etc

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Phugoid)

As an example, if I told you that I just ate some nuts, you don't have any evidence to suggest that I'm telling the truth. You ALSO don't have any evidence to suggest that I'm lying however. So what do you do? Do you believe me, or not? Well, the answer is ... neither. If there is no evidence either way, then you'd be an idiot to make a decision either way.

but that does not change the fact that you ate nuts!!! so it may depend on the person and his background..

similarly, all the Prophets throughout history were known to be honest and truthful, even before they became Prophets, so them saying there is a God, backing it up with miracles during their times (Last revelation, Islam's biggest miracle is the Qur'an, although there were other miracles that happened during the lifetime of Prophet Muhammad like splitting of the moon, for which today scientists say there is some evidence suggesting the moon was split sometime ago!!)...

So I would rather believe them than my own limited mind...

ReputationRep:
    i accept that you think i am a idiot, but we all make decisions on the information given to use. mine isn't concrete i know that.

did you eat some nuts i don't know, but i can make an guess with the information in front of me, id say you haven't. does not make me an idiot.

this argument is too big, to have because and the end of the day, no ones right or wrong till their dead and find out.

ReputationRep:
    i disagree...

because in the past, it was the religious people who were inventing and exploring in science, so why would it be any different today?

Cloning, is aposed by religion. for example

ReputationRep:
    but that does not change the fact that you ate nuts!!! so it may depend on the person and his background..
    Well, thank you for proving my point. I didn't eat nuts, but you believed that I did.

That's what happens when you base your beliefs on things for which there is no evidence - you make yourself vulnerable to the 50% chance that you are wrong. You might as well flip a coin.

similarly, all the Prophets throughout history were known to be honest and truthful, even before they became Prophets, so them saying there is a God, backing it up with miracles during their times (Last revelation, Islam's biggest miracle is the Qur'an, although there were other miracles that happened during the lifetime of Prophet Muhammad like splitting of the moon, for which today scientists say there is some evidence suggesting the moon was split sometime ago!!)...
    Miracles can be faked. Historical records can be fallacious. And people can talk nonsense about what scientists say and misinterpret it for their own purposes.

So I would rather believe them than my own limited mind...
    'Limited' is an understatement.

ReputationRep:

Yeah, it's totally got nothing to do with economics, politics, western foreign policy, industry factors, birth-rates, inflation etc. *sigh*

I know you said 'obviously there are other factors', but I thik the 'other' factors are pretty ******* substantial.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jumpingjesusholycow)
    Yeah, it's totally got nothing to do with economics, politics, western foreign policy, industry factors, birth-rates, inflation etc. *sigh*

I know you said 'obviously there are other factors', but I thik the 'other' factors are pretty ******* substantial.

Politics are forged by religion, even this country.

taking that economics, inflation and industry are inter linked. religion can determine what goods and materials are sold i.e alcohol.

Birth rates are a factor but change through development as a trend, its the norm in some religions to reproduce more than others for instance the birth rates of islam exceed that of atheism in this country even though it does not support your survival in this country to have 5 kids where as in the third world more kids means more farmers meaning more food.

ReputationRep:
    Ok then, lets take this line of thought to it's logical conclusion. You are saying you cannnot disprove God therefore you cannot say he doesn't exist.

I would say the same thing for Yoda or the matrix. You cannot completely disprove these apparent works of fiction so you cannot say they do not exist.

Thats all well and good, but now your god is in the same class as fictional beings such as Jedi and apocalyptic supercomputers. Beings, the existence of which is so imporbable that we do not believe in them.

If you are happy to concede that the existence of your God is of the highest levels improbable, then fair enough. You should also then give equal belief to equally improbable beings no?

Surely if you choose to not be consistent then your argument falls flat on it's face, and as well as being a hypocrite you appear slightly crazy and gullible?

ReputationRep:
    Politics are forged by religion, even this country.
    I disagree. Very few policies and political stances are forged by religion.

ReputationRep:

Property rights non-existent? military dictatorships? I think these factors are probably more important than the influence of religion. The US used to be the most religious society in the western world (it still is?) but they did ok (still do?). So perhaps religion is not THAT important (it certainly plays a role - don't misunderstand me - but a non-significant role as compared to other factors).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aeolus)
    Ok then, lets take this line of thought to it's logical conclusion. You are saying you cannnot disprove God therefore you cannot say he doesn't exist.

I would say the same thing for Yoda or the matrix. You cannot completely disprove these apparent works of fiction so you cannot say they do not exist.

Thats all well and good, but now your god is in the same class as fictional beings such as Jedi and apocalyptic supercomputers. Beings, the existence of which is so imporbable that we do not believe in them.

If you are happy to concede that the existence of your God is of the highest levels improbable, then fair enough. You should also then give equal belief to equally improbable beings no?

Surely if you choose to not be consistent then your argument falls flat on it's face, and as well as being a hypocrite you appear slightly crazy and gullible?
    i wouldn't say i am crazy or gullible, as for hypocritical i accept i must seem like that, really its more i don't know the truth and just take information from here and there. i wasn't trying to get into a argument over is god real or not, more is there a need for religion greater in earlier parts of development than latter.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jumpingjesusholycow)
    I disagree. Very few policies and political stances are forged by religion.
    k, sorry you mis interpreted me, i meant the infrastructure, the monarchs head of political matters earlier in this country (hundreds of years ago). not policies themselves.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.