Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Does Britain over-emphasise its modern role on the international stage? [POLL] Watch

• View Poll Results: Is Britain still a major player in the world?
    Yes, Britain has significant diplomatic influence over the rest of the world
    30.43%
    No, Britain has been undergoing decline from world power status and refuses to accept it.
    4.35%
    Britain is trying to keep up with the rest of the world and is slowly being left behind.
    26.09%
    There's a future for Britain, but it is part of Europe's aggregate strength and not as a sovereign independent nation.
    39.13%

ReputationRep:
    Well does it?
    It seems to me with a combination of Trident, disproportionate military expenditure, foreign interventions & full scale wars, Britain is trying desperately to hold onto its former reputation as a world power.

It seems Obama's America does not have time for us even though we're breaking our backs to help them in Afghanistan.

ReputationRep:
    we are like 5th in the world for gdp so no we don't

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by stewart91)
    Yeah but I think there's an element of Britain retaining the imperialist 'great' Britain frame of mind, and as you said, economically we're 5th, not 1st anymore.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by stewart91)
    Lolwut.

In GDP, both per capita and as a total, the UK is one of the wealthiest nations on the planet.

Still, we couldn't fight a war abroad even if we wanted to, unless we had the help of someone else. The UK is dead in the water as a global power - we won't be in top 10 lists in 50 years unless we're part of a federal EU.

ReputationRep:
    It depends. in a lot of respects, the UK is a world power. Our GDP is the 6th largest, our armed forces are among the best in the world, we are culturally influential (all the way from pop culture to high-brow culture and the arts), our capital city is arguably the world's major city, we're one of few countries to officially possess nukes.

I think we would remain as such for a few decades to come, but in comparative terms countries such as China, India and maybe Brazil or Russia would rival or even surpass us. As things stand now though, I think the UK is one of the top 5 most powerful countries in the world (along with the USA, China, France and Russia).

ReputationRep:
    As much as I hate to acknowledge it, it is true that "there's a future for Britain, but it is part of Europe's aggregate strength and not as a sovereign independent nation."

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 23, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.