Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    i am really curious about SOAS - i hear so many mixed responses about the university.

SO firstly, what is the course, chinese BA, like? Do you get much scope in modules you choose? do we get to learn about modern china and the history behind it or is it simply a language based course?

Secondly, i really like having a busy social life and going out a lot in the evenings. It worries me somewhat that people on TSR are saying its such an 'alternative' university and that the people don't like going out and freshers week was pants. Do people actually go out a lot? Or do they spend most of their time studying? Would you say that the majority of people are 'different' to your average? Does SOAS lack 'uni life'? I do really want to enjoy the social life that the london uni's have to offer but i'm scared that the people are going to be too 'hippy like' there. What is the general consensus?

Finally, if i was to go what are the intercollegiate halls like? Is there a good chance i will meet people who enjoy the night-life more than those at SOAS?

Thanks very much x

ReputationRep:
    It wasn't that alternative when I went there last year tbh. All I saw were really nice ordinary people. I actually made friends with this french girl who came from Paris that day and wanted study Chinese like yourself. I saw one quirky looking girl but other than that it's all good to be honest.

ReputationRep:
    I've had the same concerns about SOAS myself, which is why if i do decide to go there i'm most definitely going to stay in an intercollegiate hall as the social scene is a lot better without doubt. Definitely not a fan of the 'hippy' reputation either tbh [whether deserved or not] so atm i'm more than likely going to Sheffield.

I applied for the Bsc International Management w/ Chinese course at SOAS, and i know in that we would be studying a lot on modern china, economics, business, history, sociology etc. I think the straight BA Chinese is much more language focused, though i'm sure you can opt for modules on Chinese history or whatever.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pengyou)
    i am really curious about SOAS - i hear so many mixed responses about the university.

SO firstly, what is the course, chinese BA, like? Do you get much scope in modules you choose? do we get to learn about modern china and the history behind it or is it simply a language based course?

Secondly, i really like having a busy social life and going out a lot in the evenings. It worries me somewhat that people on TSR are saying its such an 'alternative' university and that the people don't like going out and freshers week was pants. Do people actually go out a lot? Or do they spend most of their time studying? Would you say that the majority of people are 'different' to your average? Does SOAS lack 'uni life'? I do really want to enjoy the social life that the london uni's have to offer but i'm scared that the people are going to be too 'hippy like' there. What is the general consensus?

Finally, if i was to go what are the intercollegiate halls like? Is there a good chance i will meet people who enjoy the night-life more than those at SOAS?

Thanks very much x
    It's in the school's nature that you get mixed responses. You can have a relatively normal student life there - but there's so much more to discover if you're up for it.

Regarding the course, what about having a look at the website to find out about the course's scope? That's a good idea when applying for courses in general, by the way. --> http://www.soas.ac.uk/programmes/prog13997.html

From what I've seen and heard, studying a language at SOAS is relatively time-consuming and demanding. So don't do it if you're not sure about it - and this does differ from most other courses at SOAS and elsewhere: you will have less free-time than other students. However, you will actually be able to use a language relatively well afterwards which is worth so much more than studying a "mainstream" degree (except medicine, I'd say).

ReputationRep:
    i do realise that i can read the SOAS website thanks, i'm not sure i would apply to a course without looking it up. the question was aimed at the flexibility of the course, perhaps a student that took this course would better understand my point of view.

ReputationRep:
    If you're taking straight Chinese, then you have no options for the first two years, with the 2nd year being in China. In years 3 & 4 the course is fairly flexible, and you can even change from BA Chinese to BA Chinese and another subject if you want (some of my friends have changed to Chinese with Korean/history/linguistics). There's plenty of floater units to choose from too, both in SOAS and at other University of London colleges.

The course is definitely language-based, but not limited to language. I think the general philosophy of the Chinese department is to get up to a level where you can start using native materials (news/literature/academic articles) and then use those to learn more about China.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: January 24, 2010
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources

Articles:

SOAS Guide

Featured accommodation profiles:

Scape Student Living

Scape Student Living

"Brand new super studios at Scape Shoreditch, three minutes away from Old Street station!"

Quick links:

Unanswered SOAS ThreadsFind out what student life in London is really like in students' own wordsStalking pages becomes University Connect, connect to other SOAS applicants now!

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.