Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    there is no law saying prostitution is legal only for unmarried men!!! So, what does that mean? A man can have sex outside of marriage, legally, and never give a damn about the women he had sex with...Yet if a man wants to marry more than one, meaning he has to take care of the women, even financially...is illegal and apparently feminists are also against it!!!! I would like to ask what a feminist (or anyone who is against more than one marriages for men and ok with prostitution) thinks about this?

ReputationRep:
    Prostitution is illegal for everyone.

Besides, plenty of men take care of/support the women they love without ever marrying them. Marriage is really just a legal/religious thing, and under these terms you can only do it with one person at a time. That doesn't in any way prevent you from having multiple partners outside of marriage.

I really don't see how the two things are connected.

ReputationRep:
    What he ^ said.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RightSaidJames)
    Prostitution is illegal for everyone, you prat.
    what???? where is it illegal in the west? please do let me know if that includes u.s.a or u.k

ReputationRep:
    Currently in the UK, prostitution is not illegal however the laws serve to make providing sex in exchange for money difficult and dangerous. Soliciting (advertising sexual services), streetwalking and brothels (where more than one woman sells sex in an apartment) are illegal. Kerb crawling is illegal in most of the UK but different laws apply in Scotland.
    So the OP's point remains that a man can pay to have sex with a woman but he cannot marry her.

That said, I have no idea how the two relate at all.

http://www.prostitutionreform.co.uk/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by saalih)
    what???? where is it illegal in the west? please do let me know if that includes u.s.a or u.k
    Hahaha. Is this what folks call a 'fail'?

ReputationRep:
    Well, prostitution itself isn't illegal, but it is illegal to do any of the following:
    • Run a brothel
    • Solicit sex on the street or kerb-crawl if it causes a nuisance.

And anyone found cruising for prostitutes would probably be picked up by the police and possibly charged for some sort of public order offence. Also, recent laws have been proposed whereby it will be illegal to pay a woman for sex if you haven't taken reasonable steps to prove she hasn't been exploited.

ReputationRep:
    And anyone found cruising for prostitutes would probably be picked up by the police.
    I'm curious, why would anyone looking for a prostitue be picked up by the police if the act of prostitution itself is legal?

ReputationRep:

Besides, plenty of men take care of/support the women they love without ever marrying them. Marriage is really just a legal/religious thing, and under these terms you can only do it with one person at a time. That doesn't in any way prevent you from having multiple partners outside of marriage.

I really don't see how the two things are connected.
    plenty of men take care of/support women they love!!!! for how long? and suppose the couple had an argument, is the man still responsible for his beloved? what if they had children? will he take care of them, financially?

no siree, marriage is not the same as the agove example you gave, marriage is love + commitment + responsibility.

And it is connected to prostitution this way, people who usually speak out against multiple marriages claim that it is against women and it is injustice etc. etc., yet prostitution, which makes a woman nothing but a sex object and those who use them have no respect or responsibility towards them is perfectly fine!!! whereas throughout history women are more than men, and during wars the number of men decrease substantially, so what should a woman do? have a realtionship with a married man so that he can use her whenever he feels like and dumps her whenever he feels like or gets married to a married man who will not be able to play with her or trick her but infact take care of her?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by You Failed)
    I'm curious, why would anyone looking for a prostitue be picked up by the police if the act of prostitution itself is legal?
    They wouldn't. As my handy-yet-ignored link says,

In all of the UK, paying for sex with a woman is not illegal. These laws firmly place the criminality of prostitution on the women. Why does the law criminalise the supply of sexual services but not the demand? With other illegal activities such as drugs, both the supply and the demand are criminalised.

ReputationRep:
    Well, prostitution itself isn't illegal, but it is illegal to do any of the following:
    • Run a brothel
    • Solicit sex on the street or kerb-crawl if it causes a nuisance.

And anyone found cruising for prostitutes would probably be picked up by the police and possibly charged for some sort of public order offence. Also, recent laws have been proposed whereby it will be illegal to pay a woman for sex if you haven't taken reasonable steps to prove she hasn't been exploited.
    come on, let us be real, i think even policemen visit brothels so how come it is illegal? even if it is illegal, prostitution isn't, which means there is a way out for a man to use a woman as a sex object!!!

ReputationRep:

Calling someone a PRAT is not nice, particularly when YOU are ill-informed.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by steve2005)
    Calling someone a PRAT is not nice, particularly when YOU are ill-informed.

i didn't quite understand why he became so aggressive?

ReputationRep:
    Wrong. There are no laws against paying for sex or receiving money for sex. It's just that there are laws against soliciting and brothels which make it very difficult to legally operate as a prostitute.

But anyway, I don't think the two things can be compared. Marrying more than one person is only illegal because marriage is legally defined as being a union between two people. There's nothing illegal about having a religious ceremony, cohabiting and having children with multiple people. It's just that there's no legal construct for recognising that sort of relationship. So trying to legally marry more than one person is sort of like fraud or breaching a contract.

ReputationRep:
    Because although hiring a prostitute is not illegal, it is illegal to actively search for a prostitute in a public place. That's what I've always thought was the case, but I might be completely wrong.

It is a bit of a weird situation. It would be like saying buying heroin is perfectly legal, but looking for heroin is illegal.

Personally I think they should legalise and heavily regulate brothels. That way prostitutes would have a legal and safer alternative to streetwalking, and the regulation would go some way to preventing sex trafficking.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Psyk)
    Wrong. There are no laws against paying for sex or receiving money for sex. It's just that there are laws against soliciting and brothels which make it very difficult to legally operate as a prostitute.

But anyway, I don't think the two things can be compared. Marrying more than one person is only illegal because marriage is legally defined as being a union between two people. There's nothing illegal about having a religious ceremony, cohabiting and having children with multiple people. It's just that there's no legal construct for recognising that sort of relationship. So trying to legally marry more than one person is sort of like fraud or breaching a contract.
    An excellent answer.

ReputationRep:
    I think marriages should have a clause to include more people (with consent of all involved ocourse), and I also think that prostitution should be legalised properly, taxed heavily and have govt-approved brothels. Stops sex slavery almost overnight.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Psyk)
    Because although hiring a prostitute is not illegal, it is illegal to actively search for a prostitute in a public place. That's what I've always thought was the case, but I might be completely wrong.

It is a bit of a weird situation. It would be like saying buying heroin is perfectly legal, but looking for heroin is illegal.

Personally I think they should legalise and heavily regulate brothels. That way prostitutes would have a legal and safer alternative to streetwalking, and the regulation would go some way to preventing sex trafficking.
    I don't think you're right, I can't find anywhere where it says it's illegal to look for prostitutes in a public place, besides even if it were illegal, there would be literally no way to enforce it. How can you prove that they were in fact searching for a prostitute instead of say, a chippy.

You're also wrong about the Heroin, it's fine to look where you can buy heroin, to have laws against that would be absurd, what's illegal is the act of buying, selling and possessing heroin.

ReputationRep:
    I don't think you're right, I can't find anywhere where it says it's illegal to look for prostitutes in a public place, besides even if it were illegal, there would be literally no way to enforce it. How can you prove that they were in fact searching for a prostitute instead of say, a chippy.

You're also wrong about the Heroin, it's fine to look where you can buy heroin, to have laws against that would be absurd, what's illegal is the act of buying, selling and possessing heroin.
    Have you heard of kerb crawling?

Kerb crawling is the act of soliciting a person for the purpose of prostitution from a motor vehicle whilst on a street or in a public place. It is an offence under section 1 of the Sexual Offences Act 1985. Section 71 of the Criminal Justice and Police Act 2001 makes kerb crawling an indictable offence where it is likely to cause annoyance to women or to other people in the neighbourhood or where it is persistent behaviour.

Persistent kerb crawlers can be penalised by a maximum fine of £1000 and s1 of the Powers of the Criminal Courts (sentencing) Act 2000 can disqualify kerb crawlers from driving as part of their sentence. Civil injunctions obtained by local authorities using their powers under s222 of the Local Government Act 1972 can also be a speedy and effective way of prohibiting kerb crawlers from continuing that behaviour and excluding them from a specified location.

ReputationRep:
    come on, let us be real, i think even policemen visit brothels so how come it is illegal? even if it is illegal, prostitution isn't, which means there is a way out for a man to use a woman as a sex object!!!
    Yes, because the police never break the law :rolleyes:

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.