Turn on thread page Beta

marrying more than 1 illegal, prostitution isn't watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by You Failed)
    You're also wrong about the Heroin, it's fine to look where you can buy heroin, to have laws against that would be absurd, what's illegal is the act of buying, selling and possessing heroin.
    Yeah that was my point. That's not how it is, and it would be absurd if it was. I'm saying that's effectively what the situation is with prostitution.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I know its quite pathetic.

How hypocritical the laws of this country are. You can have relationships with multiple women but for some reason you cannot marry more than one!

Marrying more than one woman should be legalised.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 9a3iqa)
    Yeah I know its quite pathetic.

How hypocritical the laws of this country are. You can have relationships with multiple women but for some reason you cannot marry more than one!

But you can call yourself married and live a married lifestyle without the government officially recognising it. There's not really anything stopping you marrying as many people as you want, there just isn't a legal contract to go along with it. You'd only be breaking the law if you attempt to enter a legally defined two person marriage with more than one other person. I don't know why people feel the need to have the government acknowledge everything you do with your life.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Psyk)

Personally I think they should legalise and heavily regulate brothels. That way prostitutes would have a legal and safer alternative to streetwalking, and the regulation would go some way to preventing sex trafficking.
    why should it be legalized? who benefits from such a filthy business? no respect for women, men enjoying sex outside of marriage whenever they wish...destruction of families...no good comes out of it

ReputationRep:
    I get the point of ur explanation, but if u were a woman, could u imagine sharing the same man with another woman (I guess nights come into play the most)? It seems a bit disgusting... Prostitution is very wrong... So I would say both are unethical and both should be banned...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by saalih)
    why should it be legalized? who benefits from such a filthy business? no respect for women, men enjoying sex outside of marriage whenever they wish...destruction of families...no good comes out of it
    If someone wants to exchange money for sex, I don't see why the government should stop them. What the government needs to stop is people being forced into it. I think legalising and heavily regulating it would actually help. It makes it easier to distinguish between women who are genuinely doing it out of their own free will and those that aren't, not to mention making it safer (enforced condom use, perhaps specific offences when a customer is out of line with harsh punishments). If done properly, I think it would actually reduce the amount of prostitution that goes on. Really clamp down on unlicensed prostitution, and be very strict on the conditions for getting a license.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RightSaidJames)
    Prostitution is illegal for everyone, you prat.

Besides, plenty of men take care of/support the women they love without ever marrying them. Marriage is really just a legal/religious thing, and under these terms you can only do it with one person at a time. That doesn't in any way prevent you from having multiple partners outside of marriage.

I really don't see how the two things are connected.
    he's the prat is he? haha

(Original post by 9a3iqa)
    Far better would be to take marriage out of the hands of the state altogether. Rather than recognizing more forms of marriage, the state would do better to no longer implement the institution of marriage. That doesn't stop people marrying privately, of course, but it would remove the problem of which marriages the state should sanction. Then private organizations would be left to sanction whatever marriages they want.

ReputationRep:
    there is no law saying prostitution is legal only for unmarried men!!! So, what does that mean? A man can have sex outside of marriage, legally, and never give a damn about the women he had sex with...Yet if a man wants to marry more than one, meaning he has to take care of the women, even financially...is illegal and apparently feminists are also against it!!!! I would like to ask what a feminist (or anyone who is against more than one marriages for men and ok with prostitution) thinks about this?
    you posted this on the ummah forum, didn't you?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Psyk)
    If someone wants to exchange money for sex, I don't see why the government should stop them. What the government needs to stop is people being forced into it. I think legalising and heavily regulating it would actually help. It makes it easier to distinguish between women who are genuinely doing it out of their own free will and those that aren't, not to mention making it safer (enforced condom use, perhaps specific offences when a customer is out of line with harsh punishments). If done properly, I think it would actually reduce the amount of prostitution that goes on. Really clamp down on unlicensed prostitution, and be very strict on the conditions for getting a license.
    in Germany where prostituion is legal ( brothels allowed etc.) you get a carbon discount for using the bus to get there :woo:
    also i think that marring one woman is insane, however if a man can have more than one wife a wife must be alloed more than one husband.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Psyk)
    Yeah that was my point. That's not how it is, and it would be absurd if it was. I'm saying that's effectively what the situation is with prostitution.
    Ah, right, sorry I misunderstood you ^__^

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by steve2005)
    Have you heard of kerb crawling?

Kerb crawling is the act of soliciting a person for the purpose of prostitution from a motor vehicle whilst on a street or in a public place. It is an offence under section 1 of the Sexual Offences Act 1985. Section 71 of the Criminal Justice and Police Act 2001 makes kerb crawling an indictable offence where it is likely to cause annoyance to women or to other people in the neighbourhood or where it is persistent behaviour.

Persistent kerb crawlers can be penalised by a maximum fine of £1000 and s1 of the Powers of the Criminal Courts (sentencing) Act 2000 can disqualify kerb crawlers from driving as part of their sentence. Civil injunctions obtained by local authorities using their powers under s222 of the Local Government Act 1972 can also be a speedy and effective way of prohibiting kerb crawlers from continuing that behaviour and excluding them from a specified location.
    Yes but what is being said is that it's the girl who is commiting the crime buy selling herself while on the street, not the guy who is looking for the girl. To use the earlier example, it's a crime to sell heroin (Just like it's a crime for a girl to sell herself on the street) but it's not a crime to just go looking for the people who are selling the heroin (Just like it's not a crime to go looking for illegal drugs, as long as you don't buy them).

I just think you misunderstood what I was saying, I was talking about the people looking for the girls, not the girls themselves.

ReputationRep:
    there is no law saying prostitution is legal only for unmarried men!!! So, what does that mean? A man can have sex outside of marriage, legally, and never give a damn about the women he had sex with...Yet if a man wants to marry more than one, meaning he has to take care of the women, even financially...is illegal and apparently feminists are also against it!!!! I would like to ask what a feminist (or anyone who is against more than one marriages for men and ok with prostitution) thinks about this?
    Adultery isn't illegal

ReputationRep:
    lovely, as long as something is legal nothing else seems to be the problem. If someone wants to blow themselves up on a bus, I don't see anything wrong with it. You shouldn't be criminalised for using a suicide vest in a smart and responsible manner. Why does the government have to legalise everything i wanna do? Terrorism is illegal, yet people successfully spread terror!

(Original post by Jasmine1988)
    I get the point of ur explanation, but if u were a woman, could u imagine sharing the same man with another woman (I guess nights come into play the most)? It seems a bit disgusting... Prostitution is very wrong... So I would say both are unethical and both should be banned...
    Well some women do accept sharing one man However there should be a clear reason for the man to marry more than one woman which is not the case today! He can't just do that for fun surely ! But let's say a woman got divorced with three kids, she is unable to feed them nor look after them due to financial problems; then she would clearly want to get married to have a stable family but also to help her in looking after the children .
    So in general, I disagree with the thread where prostitution is compared with marriage because they are two different things :dontknow:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Apagg)
    Adultery isn't illegal
    I don't think OP disagrees with you on this. So im guessing u just wanted to reaffirm the statement.
    but aldultery is a valid ground for filing divorce.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by algérie_mon_amour)
    Well some women do accept sharing one man However there should be a clear reason for the man to marry more than one woman which is not the case today! He can't just do that for fun surely ! But let's say a woman got divorced with three kids, she is unable to feed them nor look after them due to financial problems; then she would clearly want to get married to have a stable family but also to help her in looking after the children .
    So in general, I disagree with the thread where prostitution is compared with marriage because they are two different things :dontknow:

Lust is such a wonderful thing my friend. No matter how much you disagree, some men will continue to think with their penises and for them the sexual aspect of polygamy can be compared to hiring prostitutes. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    why should it be legalized?
    The right to bodily autonomy, perhaps?

who benefits from such a filthy business?
    It is filthy in your opinion. In my opinion, stoning a woman to death or chopping the hands of offenders is vile.

no respect for women
    That is your opinion. In my opinion, comparing women to meat or jewellary and, thereby, justifying covering them in black clothing from head to toe is disrespectful of women.

men enjoying sex outside of marriage whenever they wish.
    So?

destruction of families.
    Not necessarily.

ReputationRep:
    An offender may always be pardoned. Stoning and cutting off hands is a disincentive to commit the crime and is perhaps the only punishment that will most effectively curb crimes (for which these punishments exist).
    Certainly, comparing women to cars (which are there to test drive) and viewing them as sexual objects is better than jewellery. Yet i wonder who would make such a comparison.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ahnaf.c)
    An offender may always be pardoned.
    That doesn't make it OK.

Stoning and cutting off hands as a disincentive
    That is irrelevent. It still does not make it any less disgusting. Prostitution may be filthy in your eyes, but stoning a woman to death and mutiliating someone is certainly disgusting and barbaric in my eyes. In other words, people who live in glass houses shouldn't throw stones at others.

and is perhaps the only punishment that will most effectively curb crime.
    Evidence?

Certainly, comparing women to cars (which are there to test drive) and viewing them as sexual objects is better than jewellery.Yet i wonder who would make such a comparison.
    Tell me, who makes such a comparison? The Western world? If so, you have to show me an important document in the Western world, for example, something like or on par with the US Constitution, the French Constitution, the UDHR or the ECHR which makes such a comparison. Or, perhaps you can point me to influential lawmakers in the Western world who compares women to cars and sexual objects. If you are unable to do either, you can't claim that the Western world comapres women to cars and views them as sexual objects.

Ps if you are going to respond, click the 'reply' button next time.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.