Turn on thread page Beta

How to get an A grade or above in English Langauge and English Lit. watch

ReputationRep:
    I got my english mocks results last week and i got 2 B's in English Language and English Lit. I'm not overly disappionted in myself because there is still time to improve but in some areas like Poetry from other Cultures, I really thought i put in a lot of quality info but ended up with a B.

how do i get an A or above when answering those poetry from other cultures and enlgish Lit questions.

ReputationRep:
    I take it you're doing GCSE?

The only points I can remember from those mark schemes for the A+ grades are to include original ideas, not something you've been taught in class and every kid in the country is going to repeat. Using a wide range of punctuation (; etc) and incorporate your quotes into your writing (i.e Jack felt 'cold' and felt his toes 'break into tiny pieces' rather than...In the poem it says 'I am cold and can feel my toes break into tiny pieces. Crap example I know but its freezing in my house and I'm worried for my toes). Show off with your vocabulary, to an extent. Do not use every fancy word you can think of because you'll just look silly.

If I think of any more I'll add them later. In short, learn your poems well, spend 10mins planning your answer, discuss structure as well as language techniques and subject matter, use paragraphs effectively (sounds silly but makes a good impression), use topic sentences at the beginning of paragraphs (the first sentence should explain what you are about to expand on - think PEE), thoroughly expand and explain your point and always check for spelling and grammar mistakes! Hope this helps!

ReputationRep:
    thanks that helped

ReputationRep:
    Alot of it is down to talent really at GCSE. I did very little revision for my both LAng ad Lit at GCSE and got A*s in both cos I was just good at them. Im just a G like that

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tha_Black_Shinobi)
    Alot of it is down to talent really at GCSE. I did very little revision for my both LAng ad Lit at GCSE and got A*s in both cos I was just good at them. Im just a G like that
    This. I do nothing for Eng Lit and get A's. Also, OP, that was just a mock right? Yeah, my teacher gave me a D+ in my mock, the highest she gave me was a C. Don't worry, maybe she's just being harsh. I got an A* in the real thing, and ~90UMS in AS Level Eng Lit.

ReputationRep:
    a similar thing happened to me last year (when i got my mocks back :| )
    English lit mock - C (my lowest was a D minus O_O but the teacher marked really harshly)
    Lang Mock - B

in the end i got two A's for these exams, you can get loads of easy marks by exchanging notes with someone in a different class, or doing background research. The best way to do well is to use your own ideas and just elaborate on them. btw you can pick up loads of marks in the Lang exam in the "write to describe/explain" bit. i picked a really good question last year, and talked about how much i loved musical theatre. I had a really good plan, so it shows it's worth it to plan, even if you don't get to the end of your essay, if your plan is good enough you might get credit for it

btw i now do english lit for AS level. it's much harder than GCSE but it is quite good 8)

ReputationRep:
    thanks for y'all replies

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: January 25, 2010
Poll
Cats or dogs?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

OMAM

Ultimate Of Mice And Men Thread

Plot, context, character analysis and everything in between.

Notes

Revision Hub

All our revision materials in one place

Love books

Common grammar and vocabulary problems

Get your questions asked and answered

Useful literary websitesStudy help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.