Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

I'm doing A2 as you read with the topics of Gender, Aggression and Biological Rhythms and Sleep. But what I don't understand is how to use the issues from the synoptic tooklit to evaluate the theories.

I am using the book by Cardwell and Flanagan (the dog book as everyone knows it by) which doesn't explain it well. For example, how would I use the synoptic toolkit to criticise the explanations for psychological androgyny and gender dysphoria?

The full question asks "Present eight detailed criticisms of (a) explanations of psychological androgyny, (b) explanations of and gender dysphoria, including at least two topics from the synoptic toolkit." It also says "Each criticism should be about 50 words."

But how do I use, for example, the debate about free will and determinism to criticise this? Or the nature/nurture debate?

It may be helpful to note that I did Free Will and Determinism as one of the topics for Philosophy at AS, so I know all the philosophical aspects of it.

Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    fml I'm going to fail this.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HarryA)
    Hi,

I'm doing A2 as you read with the topics of Gender, Aggression and Biological Rhythms and Sleep. But what I don't understand is how to use the issues from the synoptic tooklit to evaluate the theories.

I am using the book by Cardwell and Flanagan (the dog book as everyone knows it by) which doesn't explain it well. For example, how would I use the synoptic toolkit to criticise the explanations for psychological androgyny and gender dysphoria?

The full question asks "Present eight detailed criticisms of (a) explanations of psychological androgyny, (b) explanations of and gender dysphoria, including at least two topics from the synoptic toolkit." It also says "Each criticism should be about 50 words."

But how do I use, for example, the debate about free will and determinism to criticise this? Or the nature/nurture debate?

It may be helpful to note that I did Free Will and Determinism as one of the topics for Philosophy at AS, so I know all the philosophical aspects of it.

Thanks.
    wtf is the synoptic toolkit?

i have no idea about gender dysphoria but I refer to all the freewill and determism, nature v nurture stuff as AO3.

If the theory you are looking at is based largely on the behavioural perspective of psychology then you can criticise it as for disregarding the fact that some of our behaviour is a result of biological causes and therefore nature.

The only topic i am doing which is similar to you is the bio Rhythms and i dont know exactly how you would apply freewill v determinism. But I suppose you apply it to the fact that all our sleep behaviour is predetermined. As far as I know the whole topic relies on the biological approach so it would be hard to argue that we might have freewill.

More generally, if a theory or study follows any approach bar the humanist perspective, it is likely that it will be implying behaviour is determined and that we have no or little freewill.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.