Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Just wondering if there are any current students studying Chinese at Manchester at the moment as i would really like to know about the quality of the course they offer - is Manchester a strong place to do languages?

Is there a lot of scope to chose modules that you take within the Chinese degree?

How big are the groups that you get taught in?

Thanks very much x

ReputationRep:
    I am applying to the course we can meet there.
    also i would like to know how the chinese course is taught

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I'm in first year doing Chinese (ab initio) as part of a joint honours course.

I have to say, it has definitely exceeded my expectations. We've learnt really quite a lot in just 6 months and I can make fairly decent, basic conversation with my Chinese flatmates. Classes are split into groups of around 15 and as the lectures aren't in massive lecture theatres, it's easy to get to know people/

As a joint-honours student, Chinese only constitutes 60 credits of my total 120 course credits. I do a 40 cred language module, which involves 7 hours of lessons a week, covering grammar, conversation and characters. We follow a set text book and workbook, and we cover 1 chapter per week. It's quite fast paced so it's quite important to keep up and do some self-study at home but you learn so much!

The other 20 credits come from Introduction to Chinese Studies which is basically an introduction to Chinese history, culture and geography. Good if you have a humanities background. We have a 2 hour lecture per week for this.

In following years, you continue to do a language course and are able to choose more sinology modules. I think there are options on Chinese film and literature, philosophy, economy...

You might already know that there's a Confucius Institute @ the uni who provide a lot of extra services and support. There's a big Chinese community in Manchester as well which is also a good advantage. There's a little cinema which often shows Chinese language films (also available in uni language centre) and the Chinese department sometimes provides discount tickets for their students.

So yeh, I recommend the Chinese course here. It's well organised and so far, I've found it really enjoyable!

ReputationRep:
    Plenty of Chinese students to practice your skills on, and then there is china town...
    as for the course im sure earthquakebird has covered a lot of it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by earthquakebird)
    Hi, I'm in first year doing Chinese (ab initio) as part of a joint honours course.

I have to say, it has definitely exceeded my expectations. We've learnt really quite a lot in just 6 months and I can make fairly decent, basic conversation with my Chinese flatmates. Classes are split into groups of around 15 and as the lectures aren't in massive lecture theatres, it's easy to get to know people/

As a joint-honours student, Chinese only constitutes 60 credits of my total 120 course credits. I do a 40 cred language module, which involves 7 hours of lessons a week, covering grammar, conversation and characters. We follow a set text book and workbook, and we cover 1 chapter per week. It's quite fast paced so it's quite important to keep up and do some self-study at home but you learn so much!

The other 20 credits come from Introduction to Chinese Studies which is basically an introduction to Chinese history, culture and geography. Good if you have a humanities background. We have a 2 hour lecture per week for this.

In following years, you continue to do a language course and are able to choose more sinology modules. I think there are options on Chinese film and literature, philosophy, economy...

You might already know that there's a Confucius Institute @ the uni who provide a lot of extra services and support. There's a big Chinese community in Manchester as well which is also a good advantage. There's a little cinema which often shows Chinese language films (also available in uni language centre) and the Chinese department sometimes provides discount tickets for their students.

So yeh, I recommend the Chinese course here. It's well organised and so far, I've found it really enjoyable!

Do you learn much chinese handwriting?? or you only learn speaking and listining??
    because one of my main interest is to know how to read

ReputationRep:
    im not applying to chinese but i AM a chinese

ReputationRep:
    I am also Chinese coming from Canada.

ReputationRep:
    What course are you applying in manchester???

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xiao1992)
    What course are you applying in manchester???
    im guessing you are chinese too??
    are you a BBC???
    im applying to psychology btw ^^

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ilikecookies)
    im guessing you are chinese too??
    are you a BBC???
    im applying to psychology btw ^^
    what is BBC?? xD
    Im going to apply for business managemet and chinese
    I dont know how to write in chinese
    so u have an offer?

ReputationRep:
    BBC = British Born Chinese !

I am going to Manchester in September for Pharmacy

I'm a CBC (Canadian Born Chinese)

ReputationRep:
    what is BBC?? xD
    Im going to apply for business managemet and chinese
    I dont know how to write in chinese
    so u have an offer?
    BBC is British Born Chinese
    yep i have an ABB offer so its gonna be my insurance!
    though i want to go there as much as my firm!
    im currently living in Manchester you see
    so i will only be living 2 miles away from home aha

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nitral)

oh cool there are so many chinese at manchester uni!
    thats like one of the reason i wanna go there cos i want more chinese friends :cool:

ReputationRep:
    BBC is British Born Chinese
    yep i have an ABB offer so its gonna be my insurance!
    though i want to go there as much as my firm!
    im currently living in Manchester you see
    so i will only be living 2 miles away from home aha
    Which is ur first choise?? haha
    as u are currently living in manchester, does this mean u wont need univeristy accomodation xD
    Im not BBC, Im SBC spanish born chinese , who speack perfect english . i also want to meet chinese people

ReputationRep:

Nice, lets meet there. do u have messenger or qq?
    which resident are u gonna chose

ReputationRep:
    Yeh I have msn. I will private message you the e-mail address.

I am most likely going for a catered hall. I can't cook for my life and I heard Pharmacy is pretty demanding so I don't want to waste time making meals.

ReputationRep:
    Which is ur first choise?? haha
    as u are currently living in manchester, does this mean u wont need univeristy accomodation xD
    Im not BBC, Im SBC spanish born chinese , who speack perfect english . i also want to meet chinese people
    Lancaster but i will probs be going to manchester cos im unlikely to get AAB!:p:
    and no,even if i go to manchester i will move out.i dont want to miss out all those social stuff! :P
    oh so you were born in spain then moved to england like,when u were little right?

ReputationRep:
    Yeh I have msn. I will private message you the e-mail address.

I am most likely going for a catered hall. I can't cook for my life and I heard Pharmacy is pretty demanding so I don't want to waste time making meals.
    I was thinking of a catered hall too
    the bad thing that all buildings are away from city, or 10 mins walk
    which buiding were u thinking of'?

ReputationRep:
    Lancaster but i will probs be going to manchester cos im unlikely to get AAB!:p:
    and no,even if i go to manchester i will move out.i dont want to miss out all those social stuff! :P
    oh so you were born in spain then moved to england like,when u were little right?

yeah more or less
    so u gona go to manchester?? why chose lancaster?
    Isnt manchester more respected uni

ReputationRep:
    yeah more or less
    so u gona go to manchester?? why chose lancaster?
    Isnt manchester more respected uni
    i dont actually know cos i've always set my heart on going to lancaster.
    and the campus looks LOVELY!but I've always love manchester as a city too!
    arghhh.decisions :confused:
    I think Lancaster is higher up in the league table...but gernerally i DO think manchester is more respected :rolleyes: as u can tell im a very indecisive person...

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: February 17, 2010
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. University of Manchester
    All Departments Undergraduate
    Sat, 29 Sep '18
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.