The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
a bad worksmon blames his tools to be honest.
Reply 21
reikazen

Since when are tutors their students' tools?:s-smilie:
Reply 22
reikazen

And a bad student thinks proverbs contain the absolute truth.

Save the moral sermons for a situation you actually can judge.
Reply 23
evantej
This is definitely the best thing to do, particularly as you going to submit samples of your work alongside your application, anyway. Good luck! :smile:

Thanks!
it is really nasty when you get the 'bad prof' experience at the wrong point in time.
for instance, I am sincerely fascinated by game theory and did an ace oral exam with a prof in a game theory course, who subsequently awarded me a 6/10. i did not understand the fundamentals of the stuff, she claimed. well i read like 3 extracurricular books on the topics, and had to explain all the material to my fellow students during the course, totally anticipated every question in the oral etc etc.. she herself was just unfamiliar with the material as she had to do a course in topics that were not among her research interests!! this grade appears as a nasty pimp between all my other high grades and may grab the attention of anyone looking at my list - which is especially annoying as it is a result from my last study year and im applying for stuff right now, so people will pay attention

i think this is the kind of bad luck everyone encounters at least once in his career and admission boards should be aware of the inevitability of it. my strategy would be not to elaborate on this and try to let them draw their own conclusions from your good results. you can afford one or two lower grades, i think. don't get bitter over it either :-)
Reply 25
lev nikolaevich
it is really nasty when you get the 'bad prof' experience at the wrong point in time.
for instance, I am sincerely fascinated by game theory and did an ace oral exam with a prof in a game theory course, who subsequently awarded me a 6/10. i did not understand the fundamentals of the stuff, she claimed. well i read like 3 extracurricular books on the topics, and had to explain all the material to my fellow students during the course, totally anticipated every question in the oral etc etc.. she herself was just unfamiliar with the material as she had to do a course in topics that were not among her research interests!! this grade appears as a nasty pimp between all my other high grades and may grab the attention of anyone looking at my list - which is especially annoying as it is a result from my last study year and im applying for stuff right now, so people will pay attention

An oral exam on Game Theory? Out of interest, what did that involve? :unsure:

And agree with what you said. If the 'bad' grade is an anomaly because of a bad professor or otherwise, you'd hope that it won't be much of an issue.
Overmars
An oral exam on Game Theory? Out of interest, what did that involve? :unsure:

Crazy exam format indeed. I was among a group of a few students who had to take a course that started before official exam dates for the game theory exam, hence they chose to do an oral for us.. had to explain some stuff about the puppy dog ploy, problems with the areeda-turner standard, bounded rationality, and game theory in r&d networks. There's actually lots of real life applications of game theory from which you can make quite a nice oral. But I also attempted to 'explain' the mathematics behind it - which might have been my mistake.
Reply 27
lev nikolaevich
Crazy exam format indeed. I was among a group of a few students who had to take a course that started before official exam dates for the game theory exam, hence they chose to do an oral for us.. had to explain some stuff about the puppy dog ploy, problems with the areeda-turner standard, bounded rationality, and game theory in r&d networks. There's actually lots of real life applications of game theory from which you can make quite a nice oral. But I also attempted to 'explain' the mathematics behind it - which might have been my mistake.

:yy:

Thanks for explaining.
Reply 28
you gotta play the game by the rules.........then when you get to the top........you change the rules......hahah......

Latest

Trending

Trending