Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    A frequent question that seems to pop up in my chemistry book is asking for the reagents and conditions of hydrolysis of a Polyester/amide or ester etc. If the question is bland and just says state the conditions and reagents to hyrdolyse a polyester would it matter what type of hydrolysis I put down i.e. Acidic or Basic? But more to my main concern, is stating H+ ions or OH- ions fulfilling the criteria of reagents? Or would I have to put for example, NaOH or HCl ?

Thanks,
    Sek.

ReputationRep:
    I'd use NaOH.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah that's what the mark scheme says in my book so I will do, but I guess my main question is that does it matter what Hyrdolysis you pick (acidic or basic) unless it specifies 'hyrdolyse this polyamide to give a salt of ammonia (so then you'd do acidic hyrdolysis)'

I'm aware that these are potentially very stupid questions but it's just the mark scheme in my chemistry book only ever states one type of hyrdolysis probably to save space but I just want to make sure I'm not missing out on something.

Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sekonda)
    Yeah that's what the mark scheme says in my book so I will do, but I guess my main question is that does it matter what Hyrdolysis you pick (acidic or basic) unless it specifies 'hyrdolyse this polyamide to give a salt of ammonia (so then you'd do acidic hyrdolysis)'

I'm aware that these are potentially very stupid questions but it's just the mark scheme in my chemistry book only ever states one type of hyrdolysis probably to save space but I just want to make sure I'm not missing out on something.

Thanks.
    You're looking too much into this. It'll almost definetly be base catalysed hydrolysis which given a metal alkanoate salt and then alcohol/amine whatever.

You'd only acually get the salt of the amine if you used excess acid anyway.

ReputationRep:
    Doesnt really matter, products are slightly different COO^-/COOH, NH3^+/NH2 depending on conditions. Oh, and ester hydrolysis with an acid is an equilibrium reaction, whereas ester hydrolysis with an alkali goes to completion... you cant be penalized for a correct answer which answers the question, irrelevant of what the mark scheme says. :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LearningMath)
    Doesnt really matter, products are slightly different COO^-/COOH, NH3^+/NH2 depending on conditions. Oh, and ester hydrolysis with an acid is an equilibrium reaction, whereas ester hydrolysis with an alkali goes to completion... you cant be penalized for a correct answer which answers the question, irrelevant of what the mark scheme says. :p:
    I've seen many cases where Mark Schemes have been wrong!!!!!!!

Damn **** suckers.

ReputationRep:
    Ahh yes, thanks for the explanation hippysnake, just needed the explanation and clarification.

Sek.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hippysnake)
    I've seen many cases where Mark Schemes have been wrong!!!!!!!

Damn **** suckers.
    Eloquently phrased. :p:

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: January 23, 2010

University open days

1. University of Cambridge
    Christ's College Undergraduate
    Wed, 26 Sep '18
  2. Norwich University of the Arts
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Fri, 28 Sep '18
  3. Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 29 Sep '18
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.