Turn on thread page Beta

UK Parliamentary General Election 2010 watch

• View Poll Results: Who will you vote for?
    Labour Party
    20.90%
    Liberal Democrats
    34.70%
    Conservative Party
    24.25%
    United Kingdom Independence Party (UKIP)
    4.66%
    Green Party
    3.73%
    British National Party (BNP)
    2.43%
    Scottish National Party (SNP)
    0.93%
    Plaid Cymru Party
    0.56%
    Other Party (let us know!)
    2.05%
    None of them ('wasted' vote)
    1.87%
    Don't know (floating vote)
    3.92%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xXedixXx)
    Well, people's minds can be changed. All it needs is a revolution and an amazing party to teach people not to be greedy and explain how the world could be if people worked together and everyone was equal.
    People's thoughts can be altered through force, however, peoples instincts cannot. When it comes down to it, anyone will kill someone to protect themselves or their family. They will do one over anyone else if they need to.

Self interest is very much the human condition.

ReputationRep:
    Libdem.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by paddy)
    I'm voting Conservative. I'd rather eat glass than see another 4 years of ****ing Gordan Brown et al.

Also I agree with Tory economic/tax policies. As for the whole "rich people" thing, as someone who actually aspires to have a lot of money some day that's fine by me.
    Why not libdem?

ReputationRep:
    I'll be voting for the Liberal Democrats

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by michael.aleksander)
    Why not libdem?
    Their desire to highly restrict economic freedom and meddle in he economy further.

Furthermore, the amount of localism in the Tory manifesto is a dream, very Hannan/Carswell inspired.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by michael.aleksander)
    Why not libdem?
    Quite frankly I doubt they'll ever get in, and even if they did they have next to no experience in running a country let alone one with the kind of economic trouble that ours has.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Teaddict)
    People's thoughts can be altered through force, however, peoples instincts cannot. When it comes down to it, anyone will kill someone to protect themselves or their family. They will do one over anyone else if they need to.

Self interest is very much the human condition.
    If you read what I said earlier you'd see that in a Communist utopia no one would actually "need" money at all. So it wouldn't be a problem.

ReputationRep:
    If you read what I said earlier you'd see that in a Communist utopia no one would actually "need" money at all. So it wouldn't be a problem.
    Money doesn't have anything to do with it. Unless you can get a system where there is a flat organisation then resources will always be greater for those at the top.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by paddy)
    Quite frankly I doubt they'll ever get in, and even if they did they have next to no experience in running a country let alone one with the kind of economic trouble that ours has.
    :facepalm2:

ReputationRep:
    If you look at my comment, money has nothing to do with it.
    Basic human instinct will prevent you.

ReputationRep:
    DAVID CAMERON KILLS KITTENS:

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=40556497527&ref=se arch&sid=100000978851362.3796152 92..1&v=info#!/group.php?gid=115336515159960&re f=ts

JOIN IT. STOP HIM

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Quady)
    Money doesn't have anything to do with it. Unless you can get a system where there is a flat organisation then resources will always be greater for those at the top.
    In a true Communist system there would be no one at the "top".

ReputationRep:
    I don't think the conservatives have any policies which will benefit students/young people or the majority over the other parties!1!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by unknownrebalz)
    I don't think the conservatives have any policies which will benefit students/young people or the majority over the other parties!1!
    Care to provide examples?

ReputationRep:
    Care to provide examples?
    The fact that they want to raise university fees which will only make it elitist.
    They want to give greater benefits to married couples at the expense of those who aren't
    Their policies will result in us having to pay more, just not directly through tax.
    The list goes on but I can't be bothered to list them tbh.

Do you know any reasons to say otherwise?

ReputationRep:
    The fact that they want to raise university fees which will only make it elitist.
    Sorry but I disagree. Tuition fees have been introduced and poor students still attend University. Increasing the tuition fees will not turn away poorer students or any student for that matter, that wishes to get a degree education.

They want to give greater benefits to married couples at the expense of those who aren't
    Sorry but again this is false. The current system penalises married couples in terms of tax and in terms of benefits. The Conservatives wish to reform the system so that married couples are not penalised in the system.

Their policies will result in us having to pay more, just not directly through tax.
    Well this is the first time I have ever heard of someone complaining about increased spending and the first time someone has attributed spending to the Conservatives.

ReputationRep:
    Sorry but I disagree. Tuition fees have been introduced and poor students still attend University. Increasing the tuition fees will not turn away poorer students or any student for that matter, that wishes to get a degree education.
    Ii beg to differ . I think if fees were increased, there would be far less who attend university. Shouldn't university places go on merit and not on what one can ore can't afford?

Sorry but again this is false. The current system penalises married couples in terms of tax and in terms of benefits. The Conservatives wish to reform the system so that married couples are not penalised in the system.
    No this is not false. By helping out those who are married, the Tory's are trying to say this is how life should be. Why should they dictate how people should live their life. Those who have two incomes in a household may not need the benefits and this could come at the expense of those who really need them.

Well this is the first time I have ever heard of someone complaining about increased spending and the first time someone has attributed spending to the Conservatives.
    You have misread what I wrote. I did not talk about an increase in spending but an increase in tax (just not through direct tax).

Do you know of any policies which would compel one to vote for them because I know of none which other parties do not already agree to.

ReputationRep:
    Ii beg to differ . I think if fees were increased, there would be far less who attend university. Shouldn't university places go on merit and not on what one can ore can't afford?
    Hence why government would continue to offer grants to poorer students and universities would continue to offer bursaries and scholarships. Government would continue providing low interest loans to ensure students only pay off their debt when they can afford to.

The idea that people will not enter University because of a tuition fee is ridiculous in my view, and those that truly want to go to University will still do so.

No this is not false. By helping out those who are married, the Tory's are trying to say this is how life should be. Why should they dictate how people should live their life. Those who have two incomes in a household may not need the benefits and this could come at the expense of those who really need them.
    People will get married regardless of the financial circumstance. This policy amongst others merely creates fairness for those that are married who, for too long, have been penalised by this government.

You have misread what I wrote. I did not talk about an increase in spending but an increase in tax (just not through direct tax).
    So you want stealth taxation?
    Do you know of any policies which would compel one to vote for them because I know of none which other parties do not already agree to
    I hate to sound rude but if you do not know of any policies where the parties do not agree then I cannot help you. Such a level of ignorance given the publicity and availability of information is outrageous. You can spend five minutes on the parties websites and discover the information you need without difficulty.

ReputationRep:
    definitely not the Conservative, maybe Labour or Lib Dem. Cannot let our country ruled by a bunch of spoiled MPs who went to Eton and doesn't know the hard work for every penny!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Little_Fish)
    definitely not the Conservative, maybe Labour or Lib Dem. Cannot let our country ruled by a bunch of spoiled MPs who went to Eton and doesn't know the hard work for every penny!
    So you aren't voting on policy you are voting because they had a privileged upbringing?

Hard work? A lot of Tories engage in the business world and make millions out of their hard work.

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.