Turn on thread page Beta

UK Parliamentary General Election 2010 watch

• View Poll Results: Who will you vote for?
    Labour Party
    20.90%
    Liberal Democrats
    34.70%
    Conservative Party
    24.25%
    United Kingdom Independence Party (UKIP)
    4.66%
    Green Party
    3.73%
    British National Party (BNP)
    2.43%
    Scottish National Party (SNP)
    0.93%
    Plaid Cymru Party
    0.56%
    Other Party (let us know!)
    2.05%
    None of them ('wasted' vote)
    1.87%
    Don't know (floating vote)
    3.92%

ReputationRep:
    With just one week to go, I haven't made my final decision yet as to who I will vote for, but it's between the Lib Dems and Labour.

My brother will be casting my vote by proxy, as I'm currently living in the USA, and I'm trusting he will vote for who I choose if it's different to his vote!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Teaddict)
    What you have said is tosh. You are assuming that because of the 1980s, the Tories will "do it" again which is speculation and tosh. Though really I want them to slash the hell out of public services... This deficit needs to go.

Inflation was worse under Labour than the Tories.
    Really, how much?

And inflation isn't the major problem. The major problem is having a wage freeze for 2 years while inflation is at 15%, it accounts for people loosing 30% of their wages. Thanks tories. Oh, and the tories are probably going to do as they have in the past. Cameron has proposed to put a wage freeze on the public sector while he's damaging the economy and won't be able to keep inflation low (as Gordon Brown could), meaning the same thing will happen again. Wage freeze = wage's not going up relative to inflation + inflation is high = ordinary people loose A LOT OF MONEY.

Ohh, it would also be great if you could explain what cameron kept avoiding all last night on the debate, why are you giving those 3000 richest families all of that money due to an inheritance cut?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xXedixXx)
    Really, how much?

And inflation isn't the major problem. The major problem is having a wage freeze for 2 years while inflation is at 15%, it accounts for people loosing 30% of their wages. Thanks tories. Oh, and the tories are probably going to do as they have in the past. Cameron has proposed to put a wage freeze on the public sector while he's damaging the economy and won't be able to keep inflation low (as Gordon Brown could), meaning the same thing will happen again. Wage freeze = wage's not going up relative to inflation + inflation is high = ordinary people loose A LOT OF MONEY.
    Firstly, as is common with your posts, this is speculation about Cameron.
    Secondly, the Tories will have no control over interest rates. They are set independently by the Bank of England.
    Thirdly, it is Brown who has damaged this economy and it is the Conservatives who will repair Labour's damage yet again.
    Ohh, it would also be great if you could explain what cameron kept avoiding all last night on the debate, why are you giving those 3000 richest families all of that money due to an inheritance cut?
    He did explain it. He said that it is unfair that people who work all their lives, done the right thing and saved up, and to pass that on to their children, should be taxed on their assets when they die.

Also, I might add that according to the BBC interactive worm, Cameron was strongest in the debate when discussing inheritance tax and immigration. The public support the Tory inheritance tax policy; it is one of their most popular policies.

ReputationRep:
    Firstly, as is common with your posts, this is speculation about Cameron.
    Secondly, the Tories will have no control over interest rates. They are set independently by the Bank of England.
    Thirdly, it is Brown who has damaged this economy and it is the Conservatives who will repair Labour's damage yet again.

He did explain it. He said that it is unfair that people who work all their lives, done the right thing and saved up, and to pass that on to their children, should be taxed on their assets when they die.

Also, I might add that according to the BBC interactive worm, Cameron was strongest in the debate when discussing inheritance tax and immigration. The public support the Tory inheritance tax policy; it is one of their most popular policies.
    Cameron was pathetic and avoided questions. As was seen.

ReputationRep:
    Cameron was pathetic and avoided questions. As was seen.
    Care to provide examples?

The polls show that Cameron won the debate and when it comes to the inheritance tax proposals and immigration, Cameron did brilliantly.

ReputationRep:
    Either lib dems or tories, need to make my mind up.

ReputationRep:
    Estimation of seat yield:

libdem (37.4%): 259
    tory (25.6%): 177
    labour (22.1%): 153
    ukip (4.9%): 33
    green (4.1%): 28
    snp (1.0%): Not enough votes
    plaid cymru (0.6%): Not enough votes

ReputationRep:
    Care to provide examples?

The polls show that Cameron won the debate and when it comes to the inheritance tax proposals and immigration, Cameron did brilliantly.
    The tory immigration plan is terrible. Nick Clegg repeatedly asked "Yes or No" to cameron when he wanted to know if the "cap" would affect immigration from the EU. The answer was obviously no, but then the public would know that his immigration plan would be of no effect seeing as 80% of immigration comes from within the EU...

Also, Brown had to keep asking over and over again to try to get justification of why the 3000 richest families should get a load more money which again cameron couldn't justify. As everyone would know that the good 'ol tory party just care about the rich, as usual.

ReputationRep:
    The tory immigration plan is terrible. Nick Clegg repeatedly asked "Yes or No" to cameron when he wanted to know if the "cap" would affect immigration from the EU. The answer was obviously no, but then the public would know that his immigration plan would be of no effect seeing as 80% of immigration comes from within the EU...

Also, Brown had to keep asking over and over again to try to get justification of why the 3000 richest families should get a load more money which again cameron couldn't justify. As everyone would know that the good 'ol tory party just care about the rich, as usual.
    Mr Cameron stated that he cannot give a fixed number on the cap until they have consulted agencies, business, trade unions etc

Care to prove that 80% of all immigration comes from the EU?

Mr Cameron answered the inheritance tax policy and Brown ignored him. The inheritance tax policy is one of the Tories most popular policies.

ReputationRep:
    What you have said is tosh. You are assuming that because of the 1980s, the Tories will "do it" again which is speculation and tosh. Though really I want them to slash the hell out of public services... This deficit needs to go.

Inflation was worse under Labour than the Tories.
    How is cutting inheritance tax going to help ease this deficit?

How can you justify spending cuts on the poor (benefits reduction) in exchange for lowering taxes for the riches (scrapping inheritance tax, scrapping kensington & chelsea congestion charges etc.)? I suppose that's how you Tories see as the best way to solve our country's deficit?

Last night's debate, Cameron didn't even have the balls to answer Gordon's or Nick's questions on inheritance tax and immigration cap. He just pretended he couldn't hear them? Is this country going to have a government that will just turn a blind eye on our questions when we disagree with their policies?

ReputationRep:
    What are the Conservative intentions regarding tuition fees? Are they looking to up them or what?

ReputationRep:

Care to prove that 80% of all immigration comes from the EU?

policies.
    If you had been watching programmes such as Question Time and the Prime Ministerial Debates, you'd of heard many different people remarking on the fact that 80% of immigrants into the UK are from the EU.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Little_Fish)
    How is cutting inheritance tax going to help ease this deficit?

How can you justify spending cuts on the poor (benefits reduction) in exchange for lowering taxes for the riches (scrapping inheritance tax, scrapping kensington & chelsea congestion charges etc.)? I suppose that's how you Tories see as the best way to solve our country's deficit?

Last night's debate, Cameron didn't even have the balls to answer Gordon's or Nick's questions on inheritance tax and immigration cap. He just pretended he couldn't hear them? Is this country going to have a government that will just turn a blind eye on our questions when we disagree with their policies?
    Okay, this is starting to annoy me now, Cameron did damn well answer the question. You obviously didn't pay attention - Watch it again and this time pay attention. He said clearly that it wasn't his priority and why he was doing it.

If you had been watching programmes such as Question Time and the Prime Ministerial Debates, you'd of heard many different people remarking on the fact that 80% of immigrants into the UK are from the EU.
    That is not proof. Either prove it or withdraw the comment.

ReputationRep:
    It's 48%.

In last night's debate, the LibDem leader ridiculed the Conservative plan for a cap by claiming that eight out of 10 migrants come from the EU. "Can you now tell me, am I right or wrong that 80% of people who come here come from the European Union?" he demanded.

Well, the answer is: he is wrong. The latest official figures are for 2008 and suggest it is about 48% - 258,000 EU and returning British citizens out of a total of 538,000 immigrants.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pocketfulofposy)
    With just one week to go, I haven't made my final decision yet as to who I will vote for, but it's between the Lib Dems and Labour.

My brother will be casting my vote by proxy, as I'm currently living in the USA, and I'm trusting he will vote for who I choose if it's different to his vote!

But you are a female and your brother is a male. Will it actually work? Never done so myself, but if possible, I'd like to try that sometimes.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Little_Fish)
    But you are a female and your brother is a male. Will it actually work? Never done so myself, but if possible, I'd like to try that sometimes.
    The fact my brother is a different gender is irrelevant, I have CHOSEN him to be my proxy voter, I had to fill out an 'application to vote by proxy for a British Citizen living overseas' form, naming my brother as my proxy!

He has been sent both his polling card, and a polling card for me, and he will cast my vote on my behalf.

All perfectly legally and above board!

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.