Turn on thread page Beta

UK Parliamentary General Election 2010 watch

• View Poll Results: Who will you vote for?
    Labour Party
    20.90%
    Liberal Democrats
    34.70%
    Conservative Party
    24.25%
    United Kingdom Independence Party (UKIP)
    4.66%
    Green Party
    3.73%
    British National Party (BNP)
    2.43%
    Scottish National Party (SNP)
    0.93%
    Plaid Cymru Party
    0.56%
    Other Party (let us know!)
    2.05%
    None of them ('wasted' vote)
    1.87%
    Don't know (floating vote)
    3.92%

ReputationRep:
    Not Labour, so Conservatives I guess.

ReputationRep:
    May isn't it?

ReputationRep:
    Lib dems. Of course.

ReputationRep:
    If the Lib Dem's get in power R.I.P UK

ReputationRep:
    TRUE BLUE!

Any one voting Lib Dem is an idiot. Essentially indirectly helping Labour- EWW!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by James4d)
    Hey, I'm totally new to British politics, could some one give me a crash course, brief as possible, on the parties policies etc? Yeah yeah I'm googling it too..
    Conservative policies - http://www.conservatives.com/Policy.aspx
    Labour policies - http://www.labour.org.uk/labour_policies
    Liberal Democrat policies - http://www.libdems.org.uk/policies
    UKIP policies - http://www.ukip.org/content/ukip-policies
    BNP policies - http://bnp.org.uk/about-us/policies/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Samz)
    I'll be voting Labourrr.
    Keep taking the pills.

ReputationRep:
    Anybody who votes Labour must be mentally challenged.

ReputationRep:
    Lib dems or Green.

ReputationRep:
    Definitely not voting for Labour!!. Most probably go with the Blues

ReputationRep:
    I've been eyeing up UKIP lately, and I seem to like many though not all of their policies.

* UKIP will leave the political EU and trade globally and freely. We will re-embrace today’s fast-growing Commonwealth and we will encourage UK manufacturing so that we make things again.
    * We will freeze immigration for five years, speed up deportation of up to a million illegal immigrants by tripling the numbers engaged in deportations, and have ‘no home no visa’ work permits to ease the housing crisis.
    * We will have a grammar school in every town. We will restore standards of education and improve skills training. Student grants will replace student loans.
    * We will radically reform the working of the NHS with an Insurance Fund, whilst upholding the ‘free at the point of care’ principles. We will bring back matrons and have locally run, clean hospitals.
    * We will give people the vote on policing priorities, go back to proper beat policing and scrap the Human Rights Act. We will have sentences that mean what they say.
    * We will take 4.5 million people out of tax with a simple Flat Tax (with National Insurance) starting at £10,000. We will scrap Inheritance Tax, not just reform it and cut corporation taxes.
    * We will say No to green taxes and wind farms. To avert a major energy crisis, we will go for new nuclear power plants on the same existing site facilities and for clean coal. We will reduce pollution and encourage recycling.
    * We will make welfare simpler and fairer, introduce ‘workfare’ to get people back to work, and a new citizens pension and private pensions scheme insurance.
    * We will support our armed forces with more spending on equipment, military homes and medical care. We will save our threatened warships and add 25,000 more troops.
    * We will be fair to England, with an English Parliament of English MPs at Westminster. We will replace assembly members like MSPs with MPs. And we will promote referenda at local and national levels.
    * We will make customer satisfaction number one for rail firms – not cost cutting and will look seriously at reopening some rail lines that Beeching closed. We will make foreign lorries pay for British roads with a ‘Britdisc’ – and we will stop persecuting motorists.
    * Last, but never least, we will bring in fair prices and fair competition for our suffering farmers, and restore traditional British fishing and territorial waters.
    I really dislike Labour for many reasons, and although the conservatives may appeal to me in principle, I'm not the biggest fan of Cameron, though I prefer him over Brown any day.

ReputationRep:
    you do realise the election is will be in may not june?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sycophant)
    The conservatives have a strong manifesto but possibly retain a 'nasty' image from Thatcher. I think that labours prospects are poor because it is universally agreed that no-one likes Gordon Brown and the goverment is tarred with economic mismanagement and a steady erosion of civil liberties. Does this mean we could possibly expect a UKIP, Lib Dem or BNP government? or more realistically, a Hung parliament? /discuss
    Is it universally agreed that no-one likes Gordon Brown? I happen to think he's a fairly nice and competent prime minister. Anyway...
    I'll be voting for labour; I don't trust/like/agree with Cameron and the conservatives policies and I think Brown is actually a really good prime minister who's done pretty well in the current situation.

ReputationRep:
    Probably Labour - the lesser of two evils! There is no point in a young person voting for the tories only do that when you are rich!

ReputationRep:
    [QUOTE=sycophant]I've been eyeing up UKIP lately, and I seem to like many though not all of their policies.

* UKIP will leave the political EU and trade globally and freely. We will re-embrace today’s fast-growing Commonwealth and we will encourage UK manufacturing so that we make things again.

I read this and didn't bother reading any more. Are you for real?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CrookedLegs)
    Is it universally agreed that no-one likes Gordon Brown? I happen to think he's a fairly nice and competent prime minister. Anyway...
    I'll be voting for labour; I don't trust/like/agree with Cameron and the conservatives policies and I think Brown is actually a really good prime minister who's done pretty well in the current situation.
    brown isn't actually a bad prime minister, but he was such a bad chancellor that he can't ever really redeem himself.

I hope everybody votes conservative to be honest. First of all I think that it's unfair that people will throw blind hatred towards them just because of the whole Thatcher thing that happened in the past. Second of all I think labour need to step back from government and reorganise itself after what 12 years in government now? In my view the last year or so has being disasterous. As for parties such as the lib dems I just don't think it's realistic for them to ever get into power, at least not now anyway.

And parties such as the BNP, green party basically all of the smaller parties, while they will make gains I just don't think any of them are strong enough to make any great surge forward. So in conclusion I think the conservatives at this moment in time are the only viable option.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Howard)
    Keep taking the pills.
    Loving how you appreciate democracy, I hope you're on a very high wage otherwise you'll be screwed with the rest of us if the Tories get in.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fynch101)
    brown isn't actually a bad prime minister, but he was such a bad chancellor that he can't ever really redeem himself.
    I'm prepared to forgive him for thatmistake if it keeps Cameron out of the seat; he hasn't looked comfortable in the last year and recently cracks have started to appear. I have serious reservations over his ability to cope under the pressure of being a Prime Minister.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Afrotortina)
    I don't get the hung parliament. Why would it be good or bad?
    The way i understand it, a hung parliament would be bad because no policy would ever be passed. everything the Conservatives propose would be blocked by Labour and vice versa. So nothing would ever get done.

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.