Turn on thread page Beta

UK Parliamentary General Election 2010 watch

Announcements
  • View Poll Results: Who will you vote for?
    Labour Party
    20.90%
    Liberal Democrats
    34.70%
    Conservative Party
    24.25%
    United Kingdom Independence Party (UKIP)
    4.66%
    Green Party
    3.73%
    British National Party (BNP)
    2.43%
    Scottish National Party (SNP)
    0.93%
    Plaid Cymru Party
    0.56%
    Other Party (let us know!)
    2.05%
    None of them ('wasted' vote)
    1.87%
    Don't know (floating vote)
    3.92%

ReputationRep:
    Lib Dems, only because on their website they actually mention higher education

(Original post by BenOsborne)
    With all the people who say they are going vote Lib Dem, maybe they might improve on the 23% of the popular vote they recieved in 2005? Why does everyone say they will vote Lib Dem, and then, well, don't?
    LOL exactly, because they cop out.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by adam_zed)
    Lib Dems, only because on their website they actually mention higher education

LOL exactly, because they cop out.
    They cop out because they see sense and vote Tory? :p: Actually no, they go one worse and vote Labour!

ReputationRep:
    Will be voting Lib Dem. It's only really a choice of Lib Dem / Conservative in my area (most Labour suoorters vote Lib Dem) and I really don't want Conservatives to get in, but Labour need some time out of power and maybe a new leader. I really believe in a lot of Lib Dem policies and think they are more capable than most people think. Also in my constituency I really don't like the Conservative candidate (stuck-up etc) however the Lib Dem candidate who is MP atm has replyed to messages i've sent and been generally pleasent and helpful and involved in the community. I actually believe that Tories will win but it is likely to be a hung parliament - so will probs be another election within a year (don't believe Lib Dems will form a coalition with Cons), but we'll see. I am very excited at being able to vote though

ReputationRep:
    Lib Dem

They're almost certain to get in in my constituency, so no, I wouldn't be 'wasting a vote' as someone said.
    It's them or the Conservative where I live, and the Conservative can piss right off if he thinks I'll vote for him!

ReputationRep:
    lib dem, and to all those labour haters out there in regards to wasting a vote. no because we do not elect the leaders directly, rather we elect our local mps...

ReputationRep:
    Lib Dems will nip in between the two falling giants.

ReputationRep:
    Definitely Tory
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by Samz)
    Loving how you appreciate democracy, I hope you're on a very high wage otherwise you'll be screwed with the rest of us if the Tories get in.
    Do you actually know anything about Tory policy? Or do you just believe what Labour tell you to? I'm going to take a stab at the latter.

ReputationRep:
    Lib Dem. Would make for a refreshing change. Have lost faith in Labour and don't think I could ever imagine putting a cross in the Tory box!

No vote is a wasted vote!

ReputationRep:
    I am unsure yet. I want to vote lib dems, but I know they probably won't get in, so my next option would be the conservatives.

ReputationRep:
    They cop out because they see sense and vote Tory? :p: Actually no, they go one worse and vote Labour!
    I dont know about that......

I wont cop out as I am going for a party's policies and not because I like their image. Conservatives have bored me with all this talk of a "Broken Britain." Even if what they say is true, how is encouraging married couples to stay together a valid cure for this problem?!?!

Labour, they are going to do the same crap as the Tories and offer cures to non-existant problems at the expense of real problems that need to be tackled.

As for BNP pshhhhhhhhhhhhhh.

Liberal Democrats only appealed to me since I like their ideas on Higher Education as that is an issue that exists and actually effects me. Not because I am some left wing, hippy students as I have seen those who have suggested voting LD, being accused of.

How come you are voting for Tories if you dont mind me asking?

Well my vote is wasted in my constituency if I don't vote for either the Tories or New Labour.
    It pains me to do so,but I think I may have to go Labour.
    Lesser of two evils.
    Shame the SWP aren't running in my area.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fynch101)
    Did you watch his post budget speech?
    I did indeed, I've watched him pretty closely for about 8 months now (gap year - nothing to do) and he has constantly failed to impress me. He seems to enjoy the bravado of PMQ's far more than getting involved in political debates, sorting his parties policies out and least importantly, he doesn't seem like a nice chap.

ReputationRep:
    Well, I can't vote as I'm not old enough, but I will never, ever vote for labour. I thought their policies were a load of rubbish in the first place, but just last week, I got a letter from the labour candidate in my area, persuading me to vote labour, saying how they will save the world etc etc, but I'm not old enough to vote - If labour doesn't even have the brains to realise a 16 yr old can't vote, and therefore can't even organise the smallest of tasks, then I can not trust them to run our country!

ReputationRep:
    I dont know about that......

I wont cop out as I am going for a party's policies and not because I like their image. Conservatives have bored me with all this talk of a "Broken Britain." Even if what they say is true, how is encouraging married couples to stay together a valid cure for this problem?!?!

Labour, they are going to do the same crap as the Tories and offer cures to non-existant problems at the expense of real problems that need to be tackled.

As for BNP pshhhhhhhhhhhhhh.

Liberal Democrats only appealed to me since I like their ideas on Higher Education as that is an issue that exists and actually effects me. Not because I am some left wing, hippy students as I have seen those who have suggested voting LD, being accused of.

How come you are voting for Tories if you dont mind me asking?
    As a member of the Tory party its pretty much my duty to vote Tory, but the reasons i joined the party and the reason i will vote Tory are:

Ideology - not so much an issue these days but conservative, centre right policies are pretty much up my street.
    Policies - Defence, Social policies, Economy, Democracy etc... I agree with the Tory policy on these issues, and many more.
    Lack of opposition - See below.

And loads more reasons i cannot be arsed to type.

Labour have let this country down with their incessant immigration policy designed to flood the country with Labour voters, thats not even cynicism, it's true. Also i have more in common with the Tory party, their beliefs etc and the people who vote Tory. Also, i have a repect for the Middle and Upper classes who are demonised by the typical old labour supporting (usually) northerners.

ReputationRep:
    Labour, that's if I actually vote.

ReputationRep:
    As a member of the Tory party its pretty much my duty to vote Tory, but the reasons i joined the party and the reason i will vote Tory are:

Ideology - not so much an issue these days but conservative, centre right policies are pretty much up my street.
    Policies - Defence, Social policies, Economy, Democracy etc... I agree with the Tory policy on these issues, and many more.
    Lack of opposition - See below.

And loads more reasons i cannot be arsed to type.

Labour have let this country down with their incessant immigration policy designed to flood the country with Labour voters, thats not even cynicism, it's true. Also i have more in common with the Tory party, their beliefs etc and the people who vote Tory. Also, i have a repect for the Middle and Upper classes who are demonised by the typical old labour supporting (usually) northerners.
    Fairplay, I dont really agree with your analogy and generalization of the North though. You cant really divide the population into classes as easily as you could 100 or even 50 years ago.

I personally try and go on policies rather then any loyalty. When you say you are a member of the Tories, how do you mean?
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    I'm voting Green.

A hung parliament is likely.

ReputationRep:
    Fairplay, I dont really agree with your analogy and generalization of the North though. You cant really divide the population into classes as easily as you could 100 or even 50 years ago.

I personally try and go on policies rather then any loyalty. When you say you are a member of the Tories, how do you mean?
    You are right about the class thing, bit generalised that one. I just pay six quid a year and get a card, i lost it though. You get to go to discussions about local policy, use conservative clubs blah blah, nothing thrilling!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jemmmy)
    Lib dem
    Boooo ! Get off the stage.

Poll
Cats or dogs?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.