Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

On a sinking ship, there are no atheists. Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aeolus)
    Everybody on the planet practices selective atheism anyway, so no that is not logic at all.
    You know how every single person on the planet thinks and feels? Cool...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by casparticus)
    You managed to sink a laser...that either takes serious skill or a level of retardation normally reserved for small rodents

Skill? The daggerboard managed to crack the hull after a particularily hard reaching gybe

ReputationRep:
    um, yes there are...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NoHands)
    Skill? The daggerboard managed to crack the hull after a particularily hard reaching gybe
    blimey, i have never heard of that happening before. though my mast cracked once and nearly fell on my head :p:

ReputationRep:
    Lmao.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by OceanInTheSky)
    You know how every single person on the planet thinks and feels? Cool...

You think that there is a single person on the planet who believes in every single deity, religion and creed ever created by the mind of man? Cool......

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by blonde-beth)
    blimey, i have never heard of that happening before. though my mast cracked once and nearly fell on my head :p:

It was an old laser. Probably cracked already. Thankfully wasnt mine. Maybe the real reason for still being an atheist.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah sounds true to me. I imagine most people would be praying to some deity as the ship down along the lines "If there is a god, please help me, sorry etc etc"

ReputationRep:
    Not at all.

ReputationRep:
    I'm sure some (but not all) turn to a hope of divine aid when there are no practical solutions left to them. Since religion is only productive when we are completely incapable of doing anything to help ourselves, I have no interest in adopting it in my day-to-day existence.

ReputationRep:
    "The fact that a believer is happier than a skeptic is no more to the point than the fact that a drunken man is happier than a sober one." — George Bernard Shaw

ReputationRep:
    I am in agreement with anyone who believes the following.
    Turning to religion on a boat that is sinking shows a lack for faith in normal circumstances showcasing the debate that religion could be for those who are scared of the future, the main cause being death itself. I feel this is the main reason as to why people would turn to religion is because they are afraid. Therefore taking this postulate it could be said that all in faith could be said to be scared in one way or another, which could be a reason for the crusades as others philosophy were persecuted and lead to war as peoples ideas conflicted and the other religion, who were either afraid of the other belief or felt it insulted thier own.
    Therefore I believe much of religion for atheists would not be a resort as many will see this and realise that action in itself will save you. In any case surely if you turned to religion you would then probably believe that from that point on the ship sinking was due to your "sins" and that you should die in any case in order to purify your soul.
    this was probably insulting to those who follow faith i am sorry for this but wanted to represent the atheist side, myself being neither but more an agnostic.

ReputationRep:
    I nearly drowned three weeks ago but I certainly didn't become religious instantaneously.

ReputationRep:
    Sure there are. They're the ones trying to stop themselves and others from dying. Theists would think "fine, it's all God's plan and I'm going to heaven" and just die quietly.

ReputationRep:
    Of course there are. The ones who can swim.

(Original post by LukeatForest)
    Of course there are. The ones who can swim.
    :rofl:

(Original post by JenniferT)
    Sure there are. They're the ones trying to stop themselves and others from dying. Theists would think "fine,it's all God's plan and I'm going to heaven" and just die quietly.
    I doubt it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Good Apollo)
    No.
    This.

ReputationRep:
    ooooh now I get it lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SomeStudent)
    :rofl:

I doubt it.
    Doesn't that mean that there are no theists on a sinking ship either?

Who exactly is left on this ship... I'm starting to think it was empty to start with.

(Original post by terpineol)
    Doesn't that mean that there are no theists on a sinking ship either?
    Not necessarily. I believe in God, but I wouldn't sit around waiting for a miracle to happen. Instead, I would do something to help the people and myself from drowning and also hope that God helps me.

(Original post by terpineol)
    Who exactly is left on this ship... I'm starting to think it was empty to start with.
    lol, maybe

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.