Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hey..

Basically I got rejected from UEA, but they are willing to give me a place on one of their other courses. It says on the letter that they guarantee you an interview for graduate medicine at UEA in your final year of the course (if you still plan on taking medicine).

I recently got an offer for King's biomed, on the condition that I get a B in Maths A2. If I do have to do another degree, other than medicine, then I always thought I'd stay in London. Though, the guarantee of an interview at UEA sounds soo appealing.

If I do get rejected from BSMS, I have heard that they give you a an opportunity to choose another course at either Brighton or Sussex! I do love the sound of Brighton too..

My question is what do you think I should do? I know it's my choice at the end of the day, but I just want to know what others would do if they were in my position. Should I go for UEA where I would have to find accom, pay for food, bills, etc. and be guaranteed and interview? Or stay in London, live at home, share the bills with my family but not be guaranteed anything? I'm not sure if Brighton guarantee anything, I doubt they do. I haven't researched GEPs (YET!) but I don't think they have a course there that they offer to grads. If I'm wrong, please someone correct me!

Also, for those that will say: "Take a gap year and reapply", I am a reapplicant. I'm doing a foundation course that leads on to Imperial, but I am scared I haven't done enough to impress Impy enough. If I don't get in, I don't want to waste another year in the hope that I will. What if the same thing happens again?! =/ I've knocked on the undergraduate door twice, and there's been no "come in"s yet. So I am hoping the post-graduate door will be nicer, though I know it's sooo much more competitive.

I guess I'm just confused.. *sigh*

Thanks to anyone that does reply.

I just hope I don't get my final two rejections.. =/ So I won't have to make the choice..

ReputationRep:
    i think kings run some sort of internal application procedure for their life science graduates? check it out - but im not too sure if you get a guranteed interview and i cant really remember the specifics. if you do pharmacy at brighton, in your 3rd year of the MPharm you can put an internal application in to their medical course and get an interview and transfer but i think it's rare. again there was something on their pharmacy website about this so check it out. tbh at grad level, i must say a guaranteed interview at uea is tempting

ReputationRep:
    is there a way of finding out whether any of them are willing to transfer biomed students to medicine after their 1st year if you did really well (they are unlikely to advertise that they do or even admit to it but i know for a fact that places like birmingham will transfer people across if they do well) thats quicker than having to do a full undergrad course first.

Though dont lose hope yet! Loads of people get 2 or more rejections so you still have a good chance!

ReputationRep:
    UEA dont have an accelerated graduate course, it would just be the standard 5 year one. Unless they let their own students onto say the 2nd year or something, which i wouldnt know about.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lost_Cause)
    UEA dont have an accelerated graduate course, it would just be the standard 5 year one. Unless they let their own students onto say the 2nd year or something, which i wouldnt know about.
    The style of the course at UEA means this isn't really possible (due to the integration of clinical and science right from the start)

ReputationRep:
    Hmm.. I didn't think UEA had a graduate entry course. That'd mean 8years right? Oh my god.. =| Lol! Sure is helping me to figure out what I want to do though.

I will look up the Brighton pharmacy-->med thing. And I think I've heard of an internal procedure with King's.. Not sure. Hahaha! I might phone them up and ask..

Sorry for not quoting anyone.. I have tons of revision to be doing and quoting takes time.. (For me anyways!)

Right now, I think I'll patiently wait for the remaining two medschools to get back to me. I hope they're not rejections. =[

ReputationRep:
    Kings Biomed, if nothing else, for the snob factor. I know its pretentious and I realise it may well not be true, but when you're applying for medicine 3 years down the line, a name can come in quite handy! Still, wherever you go you need to get a good degree classification at the end, and you are going to struggle wherever you go unless you like it. The main thing I would use is which one I personally would like to spend 3 years of my life doing!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: January 24, 2010

University open days

1. University of Edinburgh
    All Departments Undergraduate
    Sat, 22 Sep '18
  2. University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Days - Penryn Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 22 Sep '18
  3. Loughborough University
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 22 Sep '18
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.