Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi,got stuck on something that seem simple here.

1) How can I get an exact eigenstate and eigenvalue of hamiltonian just by completing the square of the hamiltonian where,
    H = Ho + V

Ho comprises of KE and PE, and V = constant x operator x

I can complete the square between the terms with x, but am not sure how to utilise it further.

2) So, given 5 molecular orbitals for a cyclic homonuclear molecule with 5 sites, compute to first order in perturbation theory, the corrected eigenvalues when one atom is replaced by a heteroatom such that the coulomb integral for this atom changes from alpha to gamma. there is no change in betas.

- I have not much idea how to approach this, if someone could just give me a few hints.

Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    Not a clue, I'm afraid... despite having been taught for three years by the person who is presumably lecturing on this. All I can say is that it serves you right for picking quantum supplementary

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cpchem)
    Not a clue, I'm afraid... despite having been taught for three years by the person who is presumably lecturing on this. All I can say is that it serves you right for picking quantum supplementary
    Haha, i know, but despite trying so hard on organic(mainstream and supplementary), I always tend to not know what to do when I am under time constraint(exam style).

Quantum is probably the best option for me; hope to at least scrap a pass so I can skip the labs!

And yeah, I think Barford is a balliol tutor.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shengoc)
    Haha, i know, but despite trying so hard on organic(mainstream and supplementary), I always tend to not know what to do when I am under time constraint(exam style).

Quantum is probably the best option for me; hope to at least scrap a pass so I can skip the labs!

And yeah, I think Barford is a balliol tutor.
    :yep: - that's who I was thinking of.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shengoc)
    Hi,got stuck on something that seem simple here.

1) How can I get an exact eigenstate and eigenvalue of hamiltonian just by completing the square of the hamiltonian where,
    H = Ho + V

Ho comprises of KE and PE, and V = constant x operator x

I can complete the square between the terms with x, but am not sure how to utilise it further.

2) So, given 5 molecular orbitals for a cyclic homonuclear molecule with 5 sites, compute to first order in perturbation theory, the corrected eigenvalues when one atom is replaced by a heteroatom such that the coulomb integral for this atom changes from alpha to gamma. there is no change in betas.

- I have not much idea how to approach this, if someone could just give me a few hints.

Thanks.
    Not sure what the first question really means, but I can probably help with the second question. Remind me tomorrow, when I'm awake... :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kyle_S-C)
    Not sure what the first question really means, but I can probably help with the second question. Remind me tomorrow, when I'm awake... :p:
    Hey need reminding about this question? I got a few hints from my tutor, so hopefully I should be able to solve it soon, but I don't mind a few extra hints.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.