Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi,got stuck on something that seem simple here.

1) How can I get an exact eigenstate and eigenvalue of hamiltonian just by completing the square of the hamiltonian where,
    H = Ho + V

Ho comprises of KE and PE, and V = constant x operator x

I can complete the square between the terms with x, but am not sure how to utilise it further.

2) So, given 5 molecular orbitals for a cyclic homonuclear molecule with 5 sites, compute to first order in perturbation theory, the corrected eigenvalues when one atom is replaced by a heteroatom such that the coulomb integral for this atom changes from alpha to gamma. there is no change in betas.

- I have not much idea how to approach this, if someone could just give me a few hints.

Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    Not a clue, I'm afraid... despite having been taught for three years by the person who is presumably lecturing on this. All I can say is that it serves you right for picking quantum supplementary

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cpchem)
    Not a clue, I'm afraid... despite having been taught for three years by the person who is presumably lecturing on this. All I can say is that it serves you right for picking quantum supplementary
    Haha, i know, but despite trying so hard on organic(mainstream and supplementary), I always tend to not know what to do when I am under time constraint(exam style).

Quantum is probably the best option for me; hope to at least scrap a pass so I can skip the labs!

And yeah, I think Barford is a balliol tutor.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shengoc)
    Haha, i know, but despite trying so hard on organic(mainstream and supplementary), I always tend to not know what to do when I am under time constraint(exam style).

Quantum is probably the best option for me; hope to at least scrap a pass so I can skip the labs!

And yeah, I think Barford is a balliol tutor.
    :yep: - that's who I was thinking of.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shengoc)
    Hi,got stuck on something that seem simple here.

1) How can I get an exact eigenstate and eigenvalue of hamiltonian just by completing the square of the hamiltonian where,
    H = Ho + V

Ho comprises of KE and PE, and V = constant x operator x

I can complete the square between the terms with x, but am not sure how to utilise it further.

2) So, given 5 molecular orbitals for a cyclic homonuclear molecule with 5 sites, compute to first order in perturbation theory, the corrected eigenvalues when one atom is replaced by a heteroatom such that the coulomb integral for this atom changes from alpha to gamma. there is no change in betas.

- I have not much idea how to approach this, if someone could just give me a few hints.

Thanks.
    Not sure what the first question really means, but I can probably help with the second question. Remind me tomorrow, when I'm awake... :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kyle_S-C)
    Not sure what the first question really means, but I can probably help with the second question. Remind me tomorrow, when I'm awake... :p:
    Hey need reminding about this question? I got a few hints from my tutor, so hopefully I should be able to solve it soon, but I don't mind a few extra hints.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: January 24, 2010

University open days

1. Norwich University of the Arts
    Postgraduate Open Days Postgraduate
    Thu, 19 Jul '18
  2. University of Sunderland
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 19 Jul '18
  3. Plymouth College of Art
    All MA Programmes Postgraduate
    Thu, 19 Jul '18
Poll
Is the Big Bang theory correct?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.