Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    are school children getting more intelligent, or are the exam results just getting higher because they have become easier??

discuss

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by georgiamay)
    are school children getting more intelligent, or are the exam results just getting higher because they have become easier??
    This.

ReputationRep:
    I don't believe that they're getting more intelligent, as I don't believe that intelligence has anything to do with grades.
    However, I do think that advances in technology and the schooling system are enabling children to learn much more quickly than in the past - taking exams at younger ages, and having a wealth of information/resources at their fingertips.

ReputationRep:
    Tests have become easier, people are DEFINATELY NOT becoming smarter...

ReputationRep:
    The goal of schools is, understandably, to have a showcase of excellent exam results.

So maybe students are learning to pass exams, rather than for the sake of knowledge / interest in a subject? Was it like this "back in the day"?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by georgiamay)

discuss

exam results arent actually getting notably better, more people are getting good grades, and this is because more people are taking the exams

ReputationRep:
    I think people at the lower end of the scale have seen improvement (in ability at school, rather than 'intelligence'), certainly, a lowering of standards would cause people at the lower end to do better relative to the examination process, and this would encourage them, and psychologically help them to improve. And there is considerable focus in schools (at least where I went) to really get peoples achievement up who are struggling.

I don't think anything has changed with the higher end though, though some may be restricted due to a lack of challenging and stretching material.

ReputationRep:
    Well the IQ scores are increasing year on year by 0.3% on average. In a sense I believe that we as human beings are getting more intelligent.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by seeker1)
    The goal of schools is, understandably, to have a showcase of excellent exam results.

So maybe students are learning to pass exams, rather than for the sake of knowledge / interest in a subject? Was it like this "back in the day"?
    It certainly was throughout my time in the education system, but I think they're being taught these things at younger and younger ages.
    When I was 15, in Year 10, I had one GCSE to my name (and that wasn't the norm); I was working towards the rest for exams in Year 11.
    My sister is now 14, and working (as is the norm at her school) towards 50% of her GCSEs with exams to be taken next year - her Yr 10).
    My brother is now in Yr 11, and in the middle of the two, having earned a few GCSEs in Yr 10, but working towards most this year. We all went to the same secondary school.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cpj1987)
    I don't believe that they're getting more intelligent, as I don't believe that intelligence has anything to do with grades.
    However, I do think that advances in technology and the schooling system are enabling children to learn much more quickly than in the past - taking exams at younger ages, and having a wealth of information/resources at their fingertips.
    Apart from your whole "intelligence has nothing to do with grades" statement which is almost completley wrong, I agree with you. I can understand why you could argue that students are more intelligent. Example Oxford and Cambridge students get the highest amount of Firsts and 2.1s. This is not because their degrees are easier its more to do with the fact that alot of the time they have the most intelligent students

ReputationRep:
    i think to an extent yes. our generation has the internet, instant access to a great volume of information. this flow of content in places must have made us more intelligent.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hamster33)
    i think to an extent yes. our generation has the internet, instant access to a great volume of information. this flow of content in places must have made us more intelligent.
    We don't always use it for the right reasons though .

ReputationRep:
    School children are definitely getting more intelligent. For example, I could probably ace my Year 3 SATS test now.

ReputationRep:
    lol! of course they're not getting smarter! :grin:

the exams are generally getting easier.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Maturity)
    We don't always use it for the right reasons though .
    i totally agree with that part but i do think exams are getting much easier. in the 80's students had to write 4 exams in three hours for their O levels. Now all we need to do is tick boxes. Which is clearly an easier thing to do

ReputationRep:
    Tests and exams are far, far easier

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cpj1987)
    it clearly does.. not in all cases but it still does.

as for whether people are getting more intelligent.. its impossible to say.
    what is true though is that exams are generally getting easier.

ReputationRep:
    no if anything they're getting dumber. My old form tutor used to read out some of the essays he was given, some of them were so bad they were funny.

ReputationRep:
    Children are having to work so much harder because of the competition to get into university!
    I don't think the exams have got easier (according to my teachers they certainly haven't)...but we just have to do better to do anything in life now
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Where science and mathmatics are concerned i would definately say they new GCSE's are substantially easier.

However teaching and resources are improving in many areas, this may accound for some of the improved grades.

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.