Turn on thread page Beta

Imagine you discovered your best friend was sexually attracted to children...? watch

ReputationRep:
    Here's the situation: Through a stroke of luck or ingenious snooping, you've stumbled upon your best friend's diary.

In the diary, they reveal that they are in fact sexually attracted to children. They've had these lustful feelings towards young children for a while now, and find them very difficult to deal with. Your friend states adamantly and repeatedly that they would never dream of abusing a child- the thought completlely repulses them, and they would never do such an awful thing. They have no idea how to cope with this unwanted sexuality they are "cursed with" as they put it. They often feel very scared and have recurring nightmares about people finding out they're a paedophile and hunting them down. Your friend expresses feelings that they are an "abomination" and repeatedly shows suicidal intents.

Assume everything that has been written in the diary by this friend is true. What do you do? How would you react, what actions would you take (i.e. would you tell your friend you'd found out) etc? All this and more in this thread.

ReputationRep:
    Take the piss.

ReputationRep:
    Another thread based on personal experience, I suppose.

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't do anything, as long as I knew they wouldn't act on it.

ReputationRep:
    Direct them towards a mental health professional.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PearlyWhites)
    Why would any normal person want to "imagine" this. Is this some kind of sick fantasy.
    It's a hypothetical situation for god's sakes! If I said, "imagine your mother was murdered or something", it would be as a pretext to a thread about grief or whatever, not because I fantasise about your mother getting murdered.

(Original post by DisgruntledMoth)
    Another thread based on personal experience, I suppose.
    ... If you want to think that? I know I'm not a paedophile so it doesn't really matter what some randomer on TSR thinks.

ReputationRep:
    Don't be cruel about it.
    Try to act normal...
    DON'T say ANYTHING.
    There's not alot you can do really, it's not really your business, just make sure the poor thing doesn't commit suicide...:|

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr Sparkles)
    Direct them towards a mental health professional.
    This.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cesare Borgia)
    Take the piss.
    Definitely this.

There's nothing more reassuring than when your friends find out something strange about you, and rather than disown you, they turn it into material for ****ging matches.

Also, I'd help them deal with it if they're having problems.

I wouldn't think any less of them, morally.

ReputationRep:
    Well, I'd probably regret ever reading the diary first of all.

But it would be difficult to forget so I'd probably talk to them about it. Try and understand if there are any reasons why they might be this way or if it's just something in-built. I'm open-minded and I am not afraid of talking to people about difficult or taboo subjects. I guess I might ask them if they could benefit from therapy even if it's not necessarily 'illness' it could help to deal with the guilt of something which is not accepted. I'd support them actually.

ReputationRep:
    I probably wouldn't mention it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Good Apollo)
    It know it was not so long ago that homosexuality was deemed as a mental health problem. You probably would have believed that if it was the common belief of the time, too.
    Except that two men consensually shagging each other's brains out does harm to no one, and the size of the population willing to have sex with a member of the same sex is pretty large as a percentage.

Someone attracted to children isn't just going to resist it and live a happy normal life. They'll either crack and molest a child, or they'll be so sick of the torment they'll kill themselves. Either way, neither outcome is desirable - they should be treated so they can stop having such feelings and can get on with their lives.

The point is there is no desirable outcome for paedophilia - you can't have sex with a child, and this will never be made legal or acceptable, so the only solution is to cure it or repress it.

Wanting to shag children is abnormal and wrong, just like seriously wanting to murder someone or kill yourself is wrong. Psychiatric help should be sought after in all cases.

ReputationRep:
    I'd probably just have a bit of a laugh about it with them

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by innerhollow)
    Here's the situation: Through a stroke of luck or ingenious snooping, you've stumbled upon your best friend's diary.

In the diary, they reveal that they are in fact sexually attracted to children. They've had these lustful feelings towards young children for a while now, and find them very difficult to deal with. Your friend states adamantly and repeatedly that they would never dream of abusing a child- the thought completlely repulses them, and they would never do such an awful thing. They have no idea how to cope with this unwanted sexuality they are "cursed with" as they put it. They often feel very scared and have recurring nightmares about people finding out they're a paedophile and hunting them down. Your friend expresses feelings that they are an "abomination" and repeatedly shows suicidal intents.

Assume everything that has been written in the diary by this friend is true. What do you do? How would you react, what actions would you take (i.e. would you tell your friend you'd found out) etc? All this and more in this thread.
    this is such an elaborate dillemma, is one of your mates a paedophile or something?

ReputationRep:
    I'd alert the police so they can be registered in a list for potential paedophiles.

ReputationRep:
    Nothing or suggest therapy is their suicidal intents are real.

ReputationRep:
    I could never ever ever speak to them again. Ever.

Paedophilia can never ever be compared to homosexuality. That is between two consenting adults - paedophilia is a different thing entirely.

If they can't cure them, kill them. And yes, I'll probably get neg for this but who cares.

I don't know...

On a side note, has anyone noticed the sudden rise in paedo threads on tsr recently?

ReputationRep:
    I'd agree with what someone said previously. This seems much too elaborate for a "hypothetical" problem. This sounds real to me.
    I don't know what I'd do in that situation. I'd be really freaked out and once I'd have calmed down I would have to raise the fact that I know and to talk to the friend involved. I think that would really test friendship, especially if I had children. I would never feel good about them being round them. The "hypothetical" thought that one of my friends might have felt lust for children really, really frightens me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by princessnavi22)
    I could never ever ever speak to them again. Ever.

Paedophilia can never ever be compared to homosexuality. That is between two consenting adults - paedophilia is a different thing entirely.

If they can't cure them, kill them. And yes, I'll probably get neg for this but who cares.
    Even if they're disgusted at theself for holding such attractions, and as such seem highly unlikely to act upon them? It's not like they're choosing to be attracted to children. They can't help it.

I'd probably encourage them to seek help, particularly if it was resulting in the possiblity of them harming either themselves or others.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.