Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Imagine you discovered your best friend was sexually attracted to children...? watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr Sparkles)
    Wanting to shag children is abnormal and wrong, just like seriously wanting to murder someone or kill yourself is wrong. Psychiatric help should be sought after in all cases.
    I have to ask why wanting to do X is wrong. No-one is hurt by what you want.
    Now if you were actually shagging children or wanting to murder someone that's wrong (not so much killing yourself, that's your own choice).

In the fetish world, many fantasies are on things that are morally wrong. But it is not wrong to think them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by princessnavi22)
    Oh please. If you had a child that had been molested, tell me you wouldn't want that person dead.
    Wanting something doesn't make it right. Hence the concept of 'child abuse'.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by princessnavi22)
    I could never ever ever speak to them again. Ever.

Paedophilia can never ever be compared to homosexuality. That is between two consenting adults - paedophilia is a different thing entirely.

If they can't cure them, kill them. And yes, I'll probably get neg for this but who cares.

But if your friend has never acted upon their feelings, why should you treat them in this way. If they had, then that would be different to homosexual sex of course but noone can help who they feel attractions for. Your opinions were the same concerning people experiencing homosexual attractions, not too long ago.

Just because someone experiences desires for something, does not mean they should be killed. My desires involve having sex with adult women but does that mean I should be killed just to stop me raping someone??

ReputationRep:
    In some cultures men marry children, and then those children have children.
    In some cultures the society pivots around homosexual acts between men and boys.

Obviously harming children in such a way is wrong and the person in question has said that they would not, but it has happened in the past, it does happen in the present and it is accepted in some cultures. But there is a difference between being a paedophile in the strictest definition of the word and a monster.

ReputationRep:
    Have a laugh about it? wth never that, it's all very disturbing. You never know they might act on it o.O

ReputationRep:
    People in this thread have demonstrated a quite frankly terrible attitude towards paedophilia, and it disgusts me that the media is so much to blame in this. Paedophilia is, what we as a society would call, a mental illness. Most do not have a choice in it, it is the way their brain is naturally wired, a sexual preference like any other that we ALL have. It is just that society has determined that children are not capable of making an informed sexual choice, and so acting on a sexual preference towards children would be taking advantage and this is, quite rightly, unacceptable. However, the media has driven our culture of thought policing these people having completely natural desires and persecuting them as if they had physically attacked children. This situation helps no one. People who have these thoughts can not share them for fear of this labelling, they can not seek professional help, can not seek support from their family, they are left alone to deal with being confused and thinking they are some kind of monster, when they are not. They are just innocent people. They are hurt by something they can not control, and it is my belief that by society suppressing these people into a shell, not allowing them to seek help, will actually mean more children are hurt in the end.

Admittedly a very small minority of paedophiles are so out of choice, drawn by the allure of the 'wrong' in their actions, but we as a society through the media have created this situation for ourselves. People need to learn to understand and accept paedophilia if we are to save more children from harm.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MsAnonymous)
    Have a laugh about it? wth never that, it's all very disturbing. You never know they might act on it o.O
    +1

I agree, it's something serious, don't laugh it off. Even if its not something yoiu can push because they say it's fine, they're not like that anymore or such, still something to keep an eye on.

If you were to laugh at them, then they will know that they cannot trust you to be serious with anything, and that would be the last you would find out about this. Knowledge of the best course of action comes from knowledge.. so you must be serious. MsAnonymous, glad some of us realise it's serious!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Good Apollo)
    Can you not read? The OP says the person in question will never act on their desires.

Yes, and therefore they are going to be tormented within. You can't just bottle thoughts about sex in - how much do you think about sex? I think about it a damn sight more than wanting a ferrari that's for sure.

Wow, massive generalisation much. Yeah, I'm sure all repressed pedophiles kill themselves. Get a brain.

I'm sure they're all deeply tormented and troubled individuals with low self-confidence and self-esteem etc if they are bottling it in.

People said the same thing when being gay was illegal and unacceptable.

Except they are totally completely bloody different! I hate it when people try and compare homosexuality to paedophilia. Homosexual sex is a relationship between two consenting adults. A paedophilic relationship involes an adult raping an innocent pre-pubescent child. Homosexuals are just as disgusted by paedophilia as everyone else, don't bring them into it as if they are related in any way.

Some people can never have a Ferrari, no matter what they do. Therefore we should "treat" this mental problem so they can stop having such feelings? Did you even think about what you were typing?

Wanting to own a ferrari is different to having sexual desires for a Ferrari. I want to own a ferrari, most people in the world do, but if I started getting boners over them and started obsessively thinking about them then yes I would require mental help.

So it's a thoughtcrime now? And wanting to kill yourself is wrong, and on the same level as wanting to kill someone else? What the hell is wrong with you?!? Honestly, you make pedophiles look good in comparison.

Please tell me where I said that paedophilia was a thoughtcrime? Are you unable to read? When did I say that killing someone was the same as wanting to kill yourself? I'm saying they are both mental disorders not that they carry the same gravity. You're as stupid as you are wrong.
    /\

ReputationRep:
    Take the piss, and tell them not to write things like that down, maybe refer them to medical help...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cpj1987)
    I wouldn't do anything, as long as I knew they wouldn't act on it.
    You could never know that, and you are a selfish fool for not intervening.

Seriously, what is with the amount of pedophile threads on TSR lately? I don't spend long on here nowadays, but in the last few days I've seen plenty on the latest discussions page...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DaveParlour)
    People in this thread have demonstrated a quite frankly terrible attitude towards paedophilia, and it disgusts me that the media is so much to blame in this. Paedophilia is, what we as a society would call, a mental illness. Most do not have a choice in it, it is the way their brain is naturally wired, a sexual preference like any other that we ALL have. It is just that society has determined that children are not capable of making an informed sexual choice, and so acting on a sexual preference towards children would be taking advantage and this is, quite rightly, unacceptable. However, the media has driven our culture of thought policing these people having completely natural desires and persecuting them as if they had physically attacked children. This situation helps no one. People who have these thoughts can not share them for fear of this labelling, they can not seek professional help, can not seek support from their family, they are left alone to deal with being confused and thinking they are some kind of monster, when they are not. They are just innocent people. They are hurt by something they can not control, and it is my belief that by society suppressing these people into a shell, not allowing them to seek help, will actually mean more children are hurt in the end.

Admittedly a very small minority of paedophiles are so out of choice, drawn by the allure of the 'wrong' in their actions, but we as a society through the media have created this situation for ourselves. People need to learn to understand and accept paedophilia if we are to save more children from harm.
    Wow.. I'm liking you. Rep time!

Society needs to understand it needs to help paedophiles not be so crazed about them

I'd get him (or her) this for Christmas:

Or I'd call the police and give the diary in as evidence... :dontknow:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sithius)
    You could never know that, and you are a selfish fool for not intervening.

Seriously, what is with the amount of pedophile threads on TSR lately? I don't spend long on here nowadays, but in the last few days I've seen plenty on the latest discussions page...
    How exactly would I intervene?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MJlover)
    this is such an elaborate dillemma, is one of your mates a paedophile or something?
    No that's not why I posted. I was just trying to get people to have a deep think about the subject, because it's kinda taboo in society at the moment. There are probably a number of people across the globe who are going through that kind of thing I was talking about in my OP.

I don't think any of my friends is a paedophile (very unlikely) but even on the off-chance one of them was, they're not exactly going to tell me or anyone for that matter are they? And I couldn't let any of them know that they should be okay coming to me with problems similar to that. I mean, I told them all the other day at lunch I wouldn't care if any of them were gay, and I just had to spend the next little while assuring them I'm not gay*. You can't express sympathy for these marginalised groups without everyone leaping to the conclusion that you are one. I can't publicly say, "Hey! Let's try and help non-offending paedophiles- they've got it pretty bad you know" without everyone thinking I'm a paedophile. It's just ridiculous.

*(well okay I am gay, but I want to keep my closet intact for now. Point still stands though).

(Original post by Eveiebaby)
    I'd agree with what someone said previously. This seems much too elaborate for a "hypothetical" problem. This sounds real to me.
    I don't know what I'd do in that situation. I'd be really freaked out and once I'd have calmed down I would have to raise the fact that I know and to talk to the friend involved. I think that would really test friendship, especially if I had children. I would never feel good about them being round them. The "hypothetical" thought that one of my friends might have felt lust for children really, really frightens me.
    Fiction writers come up with FAR more elaborate stuff than I did, and no one's accusing their works of being factual (perhaps the fact I used to be an avid creative writer...?). Well if you want to know, no it isn't factual- there's just been a lot of coverage on TSR on the subject of non-offending paedophiles, and it got me thinking about what I'd do if one of my friends was a non-offending paedophile, and I wanted to share my musings. If you still think it's factual, that's alright. I'm glad you still discussed the topic, as it is a very controversial one. Excellent point on how your reaction to this situation would change if you were a parent though. That's completely true, and I think if I was a parent at the time, it would completely change my perspective.

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't know what to do.

ReputationRep:
    I'd avoid the subject all together. As long as they didn't touch anything, or look at illegal material, I'd just try my hardest to forget it.

Very difficult situation to be in i imagine.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by innerhollow)
    You can't express sympathy for these marginalised groups without everyone leaping to the conclusion that you are one. I can't publicly say, "Hey! Let's try and help non-offending paedophiles- they've got it pretty bad you know" without everyone thinking I'm a paedophile. It's just ridiculous.
    Too true. :sigh:

ReputationRep:
    I would do nothing if I found out if it was a stranger, let alone a friend. I don't see whats the big deal.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PearlyWhites)
    Why would you hypothesize about something so evil and immoral? How does something like that come into your mind. It's like the most disgusting thing you could possible think about.
    The OP whats to start a argument discussion. Why has there been so many threads on this topic recently? It seems that one guy admitting to it a short while back has managed to unleash hell around here as far a trolls and idiots without the use of more than 4 brain cells.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by innerhollow)
    Here's the situation: Through a stroke of luck or ingenious snooping, you've stumbled upon your best friend's diary.

In the diary, they reveal that they are in fact sexually attracted to children. They've had these lustful feelings towards young children for a while now, and find them very difficult to deal with. Your friend states adamantly and repeatedly that they would never dream of abusing a child- the thought completlely repulses them, and they would never do such an awful thing. They have no idea how to cope with this unwanted sexuality they are "cursed with" as they put it. They often feel very scared and have recurring nightmares about people finding out they're a paedophile and hunting them down. Your friend expresses feelings that they are an "abomination" and repeatedly shows suicidal intents.

Assume everything that has been written in the diary by this friend is true. What do you do? How would you react, what actions would you take (i.e. would you tell your friend you'd found out) etc? All this and more in this thread.
    OP, are you secretly the 'peodophile' and your best friend has discovered your diary?

No need to disguise yourself on TSR. Everythings aaaaallll good here :yep:

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.