Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Imagine you discovered your best friend was sexually attracted to children...? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by innerhollow)
    I was thinking of that book while posting on this thread. People say it's disgusting and evil to even talk about paedophilia, so I wonder what they'd think of a whole novel graphically exploring it.
    I'm only about halfway through, but I find it really interesting and thought-provoking. Strangely not disgusting though, is that weird?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Illusionary)
    I've just had to go through and remove a significant number of posts from this thread. Spam and personal insults are not acceptable on TSR, and if these continue then the thread is likely to be closed and further warnings issued. Please try to keep the discussion civil.
    I would ask you not to close the thread if at all possible. The posts of a few individuals that do not want, or know how to contribute seriously should not mean a thread with valid discussion is closed. Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PearlyWhites)
    Obviously, it would have to be done with anaesthesia in a hospital. I'm not all for that kind of savagery. Ok so I take a zero tolerance stance on this. I don't think they can be fully rehabilitated and introduced back into society, yet they don't deserve to be tortued. I'm going to leave it at that.
    I never mentioned torture, it didn't even cross my mind to assume you meant that. I find the idea that you would impose your beliefs on someone who is by your own definition mentally ill, to the point of physically altering them, completely immoral. I would almost go so far as to say I find your attitude filled with a quasi sense of righteousness more worrying than paedophilia.

ReputationRep:
    Oh I went to a school/college full of them. And even my non-practising Asian and Black friends, don't agree with it- so yeah it does happen i suppose. But i see where you're coming from...but can't someone believe in a God without being religious? Sounds odd, but there are some people who believe in a 'higher power', who created us, but left us to do as we please on earth. Those kind of people may refute evolution etc, believe in a god, yet not be religious. Does that make sense?

My mum told me that there were some monkeys in a village raping women. I don't know where she got that from, but it wouldnt surprise me
    yes you can be spiritual I suppose, you don;t think any religion has got it right, but you think somehow something made the world and is higher then us. But it might not really care about us on an emotional kind of level like say YHWH does. Maybe no afterlife either, it just kind of made the Universe at watches, or has moved on.

never heard of monkeys raping woman, I heard of male monkeys doing male on male for dominance or when their aint many ladies.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DaveParlour)
    I truly hope you are just a troll, for I have taken a severe disliking to you already.

Please read and understand my previous post...

People in this thread have demonstrated a quite frankly terrible attitude towards paedophilia, and it disgusts me that the media is so much to blame in this. Paedophilia is, what we as a society would call, a mental illness. Most do not have a choice in it, it is the way their brain is naturally wired, a sexual preference like any other that we ALL have. It is just that society has determined that children are not capable of making an informed sexual choice, and so acting on a sexual preference towards children would be taking advantage and this is, quite rightly, unacceptable. However, the media has driven our culture of thought policing these people having completely natural desires and persecuting them as if they had physically attacked children. This situation helps no one. People who have these thoughts can not share them for fear of this labelling, they can not seek professional help, can not seek support from their family, they are left alone to deal with being confused and thinking they are some kind of monster, when they are not. They are just innocent people. They are hurt by something they can not control, and it is my belief that by society suppressing these people into a shell, not allowing them to seek help, will actually mean more children are hurt in the end.

Admittedly a very small minority of paedophiles are so out of choice, drawn by the allure of the 'wrong' in their actions, but we as a society through the media have created this situation for ourselves. People need to learn to understand and accept paedophilia if we are to save more children from harm.

...then tell me how you disagree with this.
    Couldn't agree more with this point of view.
    To demonstrate how completely monstrous the general view of paedophilia has become, I was going to search in google to see if there were any websites to try and tackle the problem and give people who are sexually attracted to children the help they need. Then I didn't because I'm too scared someone would find out I'd searched this kind of thing and I'd be prosecuted somehow. Which is ridiculous, but it just goes to show how people can be alienated from the public due to their mental issues.

I hope that made some senses, it's a bit jumbled :p:

ReputationRep:
    :congrats: Right, I've heard enough of you now.
    hmm you know it generally isn't advised to plain ignore someone or be sarcastically rude just because they disagree, especially considering you are 20(older then I had imagined I must admit). In fact I think you didn't like it when I was sarcastic about religion.:p:

agree to disagree.

ReputationRep:
    :congrats: Right, I've heard enough of you now.
    I will justify my comment. I think that paedophilia is just a malfunction of the brain. You have arrived at the conscious decision to think it right to impose your beliefs on the mentally ill.

There is a very apt quote for this but I can't quite remember it.

It goes something along the lines of fearing those who go with a sense of self belief that they are doing good, because a wicked man will know he is wicked and be bound by some constraints, those limitations will not exist for the one who thinks they do right.

Oh, and I never said you were worse than a paedophile.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bex285)
    To demonstrate how completely monstrous the general view of paedophilia has become, I was going to search in google to see if there were any websites to try and tackle the problem and give people who are sexually attracted to children the help they need. Then I didn't because I'm too scared someone would find out I'd searched this kind of thing and I'd be prosecuted somehow. Which is ridiculous, but it just goes to show how people can be alienated from the public due to their mental issues.

I think that does say a lot about the current state of affairs. But thanks anyway, its nice to know that my views are appreciated and haven't just fallen on brainwashed ears.

That goes for anyone else who has agreed with me as well.

ReputationRep:
    I'd stop and think for a minute, then go back to bending spoons with my mind.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Revolution is my Name)
    I'd stop and think for a minute, then go back to bending spoons with my mind.
    :rofl:
    Repped :p:

ReputationRep:
    I would just make sure we don't go to the park anymore

ReputationRep:
    I would be amazed that we shared another common interest and recommend we take a trip to the nearest creche.

ReputationRep:
    I just did a google search and it does exist! Type in "monkey raping women" and its all there *vomits*.

I see why unbelievers think that, but there's then when you think of all the good things, it makes me wonder "hmm there must be a God". I just can't accept that we came from monkeys and the universe created itself- and then you have religious experiences. Where do they come from? IMO there HAS to be a higher power. Both viewpoints aren't based on evidence, so I guess neither of us are right.
    (If you reply, I'll have to get back to you another time, as I need to be up early tomorrow)
    so do I haha, work soon.

If I was to accept a higher power exists I'd have to say it isn't involved in our life;s, it doesn't help some and not others. Praying for Haiti for example, means nothing as this being does not interfere, nor is there afterlife.

But I don't think to think people have to think there's a being with human qualities and loves us personally, just because we have difficult questions to answer about the Universe. I mean before we knew of bacteria and virus's people thought sickness was God cursing us or the Devil possessing us, we know how it's not the case.

ReputationRep:
    I'd just like to thank everyone here for getting this thread to 8 pages! You're all so wonderful and great!

No seriously I am! Not hysterically-just a little chuckle here and there.
    What I'm saying isn't a contradiction. I believe peadophiles have a choice in what they do. Why does animal rape and homosexuality have to come into it. And to be honest, if I'm so tremendously ignorant then ignore me! Clearly I'm not taking on board anything you have to say to me, so move along...
    Oh I'm sorry. I should have pointed out- I love arguing like anything. I love it to the extent it's bordering on erotic for me. When I'm older I don't think I could really have a strong connection with any guy I date unless he knew how to argue. It's such a hot quality to have. It's a shame you're a girl. You would have done nicely. I continue to pursue pointless arguments with you because I love arguing so much, and your inability to grasp anything I say just makes it all the more hotter :sogood:

The animal rape thing was because you brought up the whole "nature" thing for some odd reason. Please don't use appeals to nature. Also your idea that all potential paedophiles should be flagged and/or castrated is ridiculous because then no non-offending paedophile would ever come forward. If you're proposing that for child sex abusers, however , that's a separate issue, and I don't know what I'd think of that. I think castration might have been an effective punishment for child sex abusers (and other rapists too) if not for the fact that it's completely irreversible in the case of a miscarriage of justice.

But certainly not for non-offending paedophiles. All I want to do is be able to provide help and support for non-offending paedophiles so they don't turn into child sex abusers. Where's the argument against that? The homosexuality thing has been brought up for the sole reason that it was viewed in society just like paedophilia is viewed now, and there's the issue of if there's any choice involved. Just like you believe paedophiles actually choose their sexual orientation (before you contradict yourself again, your exact words were "I don't believe they don't have a choice" ). I disagree with this obviously. To me it's like this: Heterosexuals didn't have a choice. Homosexuals didn't have a choice. Similarly, paedophiles didn't have a choice.

(Original post by joey11223)
    I haven't met any non-religious who don't like em, but yeah I guess they exist. Harder to have a reason though if you aren't religious as you have to accept evolution, natural selection, genes, etc, if your not religious, there's no other way of looking at things. So it's kind of hard to say homosexuality isn't in nature. Since even some monkeys seem to do guy on guy.
    Really? That's surprising. If you want that myth dispelled just have a look at my school. 99% of the students are atheists, and it's an intensely homophobic school nonetheless. People at my school don't believe in God because they can't be bothered really (it's actually probably more apatheism than atheism) but their beliefs do not for a second mean they immediately embrace all these scientific facts. They don't care about God, and they also don't care about science. Sure they're well-learned in evolutionary theory and genetic theory and most can write about it in Biology exams, but they don't really care. It's just crap you need to learn for the exam, not meaningful knowledge to them. To them, homosexuality is just "gross" and therefore wrong and should be actively discriminated against, and if you don't, you yourself are gay. I really dislike many of the people at my school

(Original post by lookitsdanhunt)
    Where did you find my diary and why would you post it up on here?
    Sorry that joke's been done mate

(Original post by lookitsdanhunt)
    To be honest though, I'd be more concerned that my friend kept a diary about such fantasies. Rookie mistake.
    The diary has in fact revealed two key details about your best friend: 1)They are sexually attracted to children and 2)They're pretty damn stupid. Poor guy :P

(Original post by bex285)

Oh wow me too! I was also afraid that . People are so consumed with paedophile hysteria thesedays! I mean, if you do not immediately denounce it and refuse to talk about it, you're a paedophile yourself apparently. I wanted to set up a charity when I was older to offer help and support to non-offending paedophiles and help them come to terms with their unfortunate orientation, but there would be various problems with that mainly hatecrimes and ensuring anonymity. I still would want to try, but it would be very difficult to set it up. Also, I looked up paedophilia on Wikipedia, despite my same irrational fears that I'd also "be prosecuted somehow", and it did have some heartening news: "Although pedophilia has yet no cure, various treatments are available that are aimed at reducing or preventing the expression of pedophilic behavior, reducing the prevalence of child sexual abuse." That's nice isn't it? Exactly what I wanted. I do worry about how humane these treatments are though.

(Original post by joey11223)
    so do I haha, work soon.

If I was to accept a higher power exists I'd have to say it isn't involved in our life;s, it doesn't help some and not others. Praying for Haiti for example, means nothing as this being does not interfere, nor is there afterlife.

But I don't think to think people have to think there's a being with human qualities and loves us personally, just because we have difficult questions to answer about the Universe. I mean before we knew of bacteria and virus's people thought sickness was God cursing us or the Devil possessing us, we know how it's not the case.
    You absolutely have to look up deism. Don't let the world religions convince you need to follow one of them just to believe in some kind of higher power. Deism is the belief in a higher power who was involved in creation but does not intervene in any universal affairs any more, or at the very least does not intervene in the affairs of living creatures on Earth because Earth is just a tiny blip in the infinte cosmos. I used to be a deist myself (I still am technically, but I just identify as non-religious thesedays), because it doesn't contradict any science whatsoever actually, (it actually embraces the scientific method), however, it also profers that you can reason there is a non-interventionist higher power of some kind. To me that makes the most sense, though a lot of people vehemently deny this becasue they have presupposed ideas about what a higher power entails. Though I shared that with my friend who is a very strong atheist and he agreed with me actually. He said that it's perfectly plausible that there was some kind of higher "force" or "energy" (not a sentient entity or anything like that- just a movement really) that created the universe.

ReputationRep:
    Where did you find my diary and why would you post it up on here?

ReputationRep:
    Nothing, I'd forget it

ReputationRep:
    To be honest though, I'd be more concerned that my friend kept a diary about such fantasies. Rookie mistake.
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Welcome Squad
    If I discovered this secret about my best friend.....

well first of all my best friend comes round every Friday night and hangs out with me, my husband, and my three children. I would be very VERY uncomfortable with them spending any more time around my children, so those Friday night visits would end.

Second of all, they are trying for a baby....I would advise them to stop trying, immediately.

To be honest I think I would very rapidly cease friendship with her. My children mean too much to me for me to associate with somebody who might be having disturbing thoughts about them. That's just not the kind of person I want to have in my life.

But I don't think this would ever ever happen, my best friend is a wonderful lass who is like a sister to me. She's terrific with my kids and she would never think of them inappropriately, I have no doubt about that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PinkMobilePhone)

well first of all my best friend comes round every Friday night and hangs out with me, my husband, and my three children. I would be very VERY uncomfortable with them spending any more time around my children, so those Friday night visits would end.

Second of all, they are trying for a baby....I would advise them to stop trying, immediately.

To be honest I think I would very rapidly cease friendship with her. My children mean too much to me for me to associate with somebody who might be having disturbing thoughts about them. That's just not the kind of person I want to have in my life.

But I don't think this would ever ever happen, my best friend is a wonderful lass who is like a sister to me. She's terrific with my kids and she would never think of them inappropriately, I have no doubt about that.
    Are you just stating an opinion or are you about to join in on the 8 pages (so far) of angry debate? :o:

On slightly different note this thread has helped me regain faith in the TSR community after the various other recent terrible posts on the matter.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pheonixx)
    Are you just stating an opinion or are you about to join in on the 8 pages (so far) of angry debate? :o:

On slightly different note this thread has helped me regain faith in the TSR community after the various other recent terrible posts on the matter.
    It helped you regain faith in TSR? That's really cool. I'm really glad it has. How so?

(Original post by PinkMobilePhone)

Yeah, I know my answer to this would be completely different if I was a parent. I'm likely never going to have children, but on the off-chance I did end up being a parent, my answer would be somewhat similar to yours. I wouldn't allow the friend to come to my house anymore or be around my children again, regardless of how sure they were they could never hurt a child, parental protective feelings would kick in instantly for me too. However, I wouldn't break off the friendship considering how depressed and suicidal they were. I'd still go over to visit them, just on my own or with my partner/other friends, certainly my children would never see their face again.

On a slightly different note, an internet forum isn't exactly the most amazing place to have photos of your children circulating round. And if you're going to do something like that, shouldn't you at least put some clothes on your baby?

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.