Turn on thread page Beta

Travelling from Istanbul to Damascus watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hispanic-Impressions)
    ^Thank you, glad to hear that about the roads.

36 hours is pretty long.. might consider an internal flight.

Has anyone gotten a visa from the Syrian Embassy in London? Is it easy enough?
    In my experience, very easy. I couldn't get time off work so posted my application to the embassy on a Monday and had my passport returned with visa stamp on Thursday (or maybe Friday). It was £50 for a multiple entry visa, and a bit more (£6-7) for a SAE special delivery packet from the Post Office (for them to send passport back to me). Hassle free.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Haft_Hasht_Shish)
    In my experience, very easy. I couldn't get time off work so posted my application to the embassy on a Monday and had my passport returned with visa stamp on Thursday (or maybe Friday). It was £50 for a multiple entry visa, and a bit more (£6-7) for a SAE special delivery packet from the Post Office (for them to send passport back to me). Hassle free.
    Ah okay thank you. The only issue that I'm concerned about really is the fact that I don't have British citizenship (although I do have permanent residency here seeing as I'm from the EU) so I'm not sure if that will complicate things... hmm.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hispanic-Impressions)
    Ah okay thank you. The only issue that I'm concerned about really is the fact that I don't have British citizenship (although I do have permanent residency here seeing as I'm from the EU) so I'm not sure if that will complicate things... hmm.
    You can usually get a visa from somewhere you're not a passport holder of... it depends on the country so unless they specifically say you have to do it in your home country then you should be fine getting it in the UK. I've got visas in random places around the world for other countries with a British passport - I'm very obviously not Malaysian but the Indonesian embassy there gave me a visa anyway!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by oxymoronic)
    You can usually get a visa from somewhere you're not a passport holder of... it depends on the country so unless they specifically say you have to do it in your home country then you should be fine getting it in the UK. I've got visas in random places around the world for other countries with a British passport - I'm very obviously not Malaysian but the Indonesian embassy there gave me a visa anyway!
    Ah phew, that's good to hear ! I was worried I might have to send my passport to Austria, which would be a pain!.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Haft_Hasht_Shish)
    X
    As this seems a good place to ask:
    On the on-line application for the Syrian visa it asks for your employers address as well as a letter confirming said employment. I'm a gap year student with an unconditional offer for September 2010 entry. Would my universities address and ucas confirmation suffice?

Also, I assume when filling in the point of entry/exit from Syria sections you refer to the countries you're coming from rather than specific paths?

Sorry for the slightly silly questions; I'm just a little worried about this infamous belligerent bureaucracy that seems to be so prevalent in regards to visas.

ReputationRep:
    Ah, I was going to bump this to ask about the employment/college letter... do we really need this? I guess I could bug my uni for one if I really need it but.. added hassle.

ReputationRep:
    OK firstly, you do need proof that your a student. This means either a signed letter from your university confirming your enrollment or your official university ID card. When I applied this was required. I took both but they said its fine to just photocopy your ID card, a dude next to me had to do the same thing.

Secondly, by entry/exit from Syria they mean which border crossing. It doesn't matter if you don't actually use those crossings though. For example you will enter at Nasib (Jordan border crossing) and leave at Bab al-Hawa. Its a good idea to use Syrian border names not the host country (for instance the Jordanian side of the Nasib border is called Jabir).

Thirdly, direct buses between Damascus and Istanbul do exist. By direct I mean a single ticket bought in Damascus, you will likely change buses on at least one occasion. It reportedly takes about 30 hours according to Lonely Planet, although I would take that estimate with a pinch of salt and add the possibility of at least 5-6 hours onto that. I took the bus from Aleppo to Istanbul this summer. I spent the first day crossing the border, then the following night en route to Istanbul. It was OK I guess, not the most comfortable experiences, but then overnight bus journeys never are.

ReputationRep:
    ^ Summed it up perfectly. I was precise about the border crossings into Syria and then into Turkey but I made a diversion to Lebanon and back and then to N. Iraq etc...basically stating the border crossing is not THAT important.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks a lot. So if I were to get a multi-entry visa I can decide from which location I want to enter Lebanon without declaring it on my visa application?
    I think I'll just put my occupation down as gap year student and then send them my ucas confirmation letter and a photocopy of ISIC card. Not too sure what to put for my employer's address though...

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, there's no need to put Lebanon on the Syria visa app (I presume you're going down to Jordan or up to Turkey?). Just get a multiple entry visa and you're set.

I'm sure if you're a student, you do not need an employers address (I was working so not 100% on this point). Some people even draft their own letter stating that they're self-employed.

ReputationRep:
    I just put down my university address. Frank I honestly don't know what to do in your situation. During my gap year sometimes I put unemployed, other times I put student; I doubt it makes any difference. I wouldn't put gap year student down though, I would either write unemployed or a student at the university your accepted to. As for the address, if you put unemployed you leave it blank, if you put student you put your university address.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ewan)
    OK firstly, you do need proof that your a student. This means either a signed letter from your university confirming your enrollment or your official university ID card. When I applied this was required. I took both but they said its fine to just photocopy your ID card, a dude next to me had to do the same thing.

Secondly, by entry/exit from Syria they mean which border crossing. It doesn't matter if you don't actually use those crossings though. For example you will enter at Nasib (Jordan border crossing) and leave at Bab al-Hawa. Its a good idea to use Syrian border names not the host country (for instance the Jordanian side of the Nasib border is called Jabir).

Thirdly, direct buses between Damascus and Istanbul do exist. By direct I mean a single ticket bought in Damascus, you will likely change buses on at least one occasion. It reportedly takes about 30 hours according to Lonely Planet, although I would take that estimate with a pinch of salt and add the possibility of at least 5-6 hours onto that. I took the bus from Aleppo to Istanbul this summer. I spent the first day crossing the border, then the following night en route to Istanbul. It was OK I guess, not the most comfortable experiences, but then overnight bus journeys never are.
    Thanks for that, very helpful.

Think I've given up on the bus journey now, it takes too long and we don't really have enough time, so will just have to bite the bullet and fly.

I just hope the embassy doesn't cause a fuss about me not being British when I apply for the visa.

ReputationRep:
    I would fly to Istanbul tbh and look around there for a few days. Your going to saving well over £100... Easyjet fly to Istanbul too...

EDIT: Christ found some tickets for £68 lol, most are £100-150 though and thats the sort of price Easyjet charge as standard. Flights to Damascus are more like £350..... Don't you think that bus journey is worth a potential saving of at least £200?

ReputationRep:
    I did this trip last summer, incredibly easy. You get an easy jet flight to istanbul then take the overnight train departing from Istanbul asian train stations (which is right next to where you get off the ferry from the european side) to adana. Then you can get bus/ taxi the rest of the way. Follow the instructions on seat61.com. The train is incredibly nice a private 2 berth sleep cabin with A/C and a fridge with lots of free snacks, the trains look pretty much brand new. The border crossing took an hour or so not very long. Never experienced any trouble with officials etc. Syria is an amazing country will probably go back this summer and there is barely any crime to speak of, you always feel safe and it is incredibly cheap, i continued into Jordan and Israel and flew back from Tel Aviv which is about £250.

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.