Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (I don't know where would be best to post this: Here, Health & Relationship, Gap Year... Please put it where you think appropiate. Thanks)

Right...
    I'm half way through my second year of uni (Engineering Degree), and my GF and I have decided it's time to think about life after Uni.

We want to live together, no doubt about that... but we don't really want to settle down and get important jobs yet (Engineer for me, interpreter for her).

We came up with the idea of getting a student house together here in Liverpool, finding some average jobs (work in a shop or restaurant, something along that line). And then go out, have fun, make friends, travel a bit, and live a studenty life for a year or two before searching for a more important job and gradually settle down.

But would two jobs like that pay for each of our rent, bills and food, and be enough to save up for going out and travel?
    I'm afraid that we wouldn't earn enough money to have fun.
    What's your opinion? (REP)

ReputationRep:
    Do you have enough money to have fun now? If you have a full-time job, you'll undoubtedly have more money. So that should answer that.

I'm just wondering if you have considered the damage this would do to your CV. If you're okay with trying to explain to an engineer employer about why you worked in a shop for a year or two after university, that's fine, but I think you should consider it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pink Bullets)
    Do you have enough money to have fun now? If you have a full-time job, you'll undoubtedly have more money. So that should answer that.

I'm just wondering if you have considered the damage this would do to your CV. If you're okay with trying to explain to an engineer employer about why you worked in a shop for a year or two after university, that's fine, but I think you should consider it.
    Yeah, I'm not really worried about my CV.

I'm living off my loan now though...
    But you're sorta right.

Thanks

(REP for being first to reply )

(Original post by C_B_C)
    What's your opinion? (REP)
    Absolutely, good idea. Go for it! Especially the travel.

BUNAC is the company you want to check out. Why not spend a year working in Australia, for example?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by C_B_C)
    Yeah, I'm not really worried about my CV.

I'm living off my loan now though...
    But you're sorta right.

Thanks

(REP for being first to reply )
    think you might regret that later

ReputationRep:
    How about you grow up stop being pathetic and just prepare yourself to enter the real world like everybody else

ReputationRep:
    As a student, are you living in cheap accommodation, maybe with bills included?
    You won't be paying council tax, for a start.
    Consider the cost of bills, council tax, rent and essentials - you can certainly cover all of these on a full-time job, but depending on your commitments you may not be able to cover the cost of travelling UNLESS you're paying out all of the same things now with only your student loan.

ReputationRep:
    Why can't you go out, make friends and have fun with a "proper" job? You'd also have way more money to save for travelling etc.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tha_Black_Shinobi)
    How about you grow up stop being pathetic and just prepare yourself to enter the real world like everybody else
    This.

I wish I could **** around painting on walls and playing with yoyos all day but I have some responsibility now.

ReputationRep:
    I'd find the job first and then work part-time. Maybe call it 'finding yourself', 'exploring other avenues' on your CV...? It seems to be OK to have a post uni gap year, as long as you partially do something useful with it. Maybe a part time course in something unrelated or hobby orientated or something vaguely related to engineering or languages in your cases.

ReputationRep:
    "proper job" employers may look down on you spending a year working somewhere outside of the insudtry, and applying to places when your clearly overqualified for the position may look a bit odd. Btu do what you want imho.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fastpalladium)
    think you might regret that later
    I guess I'll have to explain that I was having a gap year, and hope they'll understand

(Original post by Tha_Black_Shinobi)
    (Original post by vinsta)
    This.
    Is that going to be your life then? Am I supposed to look up to that?

I'm either joining the forces or taking a year or two out; you have to live sometime in life.

(Original post by fortysixandtwo)

BUNAC is the company you want to check out. Why not spend a year working in Australia, for example?
    Epic advice. I'll REP you sensless tomorrow.

ReputationRep:
    [QUOTE=C_B_C]I guess I'll have to explain that I was having a gap year, and hope they'll understand

Is that going to be your life then? Am I supposed to look up to that?

I'm either joining the forces or taking a year or two out; you have to live sometime in life.

[QUOTE=fortysixandtwo]

Epic advice. I'll REP you sensless tomorrow.
    Hey OP, Ive done a placement year so had a chance to be paid about what youre thinking - between the two of you it would be enough to pay bills etc (are you thinking about a big house and getting students for the other rooms? make it cheaper), for you to go out but saving for travelling may be hard. I was living at home with no bills etc. in a better job but they took it down to a retail wage by putting the rest in a 'bonus' if I completed so lived on less and managed to save just under a third - so that would all go on bills etc if I were you over the year....so yeh cant see the travelling happening.

LOL about the comments on the CV.

OP wants a life, not a CV.

Live the dream, OP!

ReputationRep:
    Call it life experience on your CV, and saying you were working out what you wanted to do in life.

It's the kind of thing I'm doing, except I don't plan to do much travelling, and only for a year while I apply to graduate jobs. Council tax is a *****, as I found out this evening, but otherwise living expenses won't be too different.

ReputationRep:
    I've looked into Office sort-of jobs... secretary, stuff like that.
    They pay 7 - 10 quid an hour, and seem like exactly what I'm looking for.

I think it'll work out.

Nothing to loose, anyway.

PS: OP?
    • Community Assistant
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    CV Helper
    (Original post by C_B_C)

I think it'll work out.

None of the Armed Forces will look favourably on it unless you take on quite a lot of sport/responsibility, keep your fitness and current affairs knowledge up etc

ReputationRep:
    I'm doing similar after Uni, I'm taking another gap year the same as my first one, gonna live at home, get a mediocre job, work for 9 months, go travelling for 3 months, then settle down and get a decent job.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by C_B_C)

I think it'll work out.

If you don't want to go straight to uni, you could have a post-uni gap year and do charity work abroad and stuff, work a little (possibly abroad) , do some more charity work ect...This would give you plenty of intresting stuff to talk about at interview when it came to responsibilities and teamwork, but your current plan will do you no favours in the job market im affraid. I'd start saving now if you want to take a gap year...they're expensive.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by threeportdrift)
    None of the Armed Forces will look favourably on it unless you take on quite a lot of sport/responsibility, keep your fitness and current affairs knowledge up etc
    I've been looking into joining since I was 14 - 15. I'm in the TA now (Kings Infantry Regiment) and I'm loving it.
    I've already had a few offers by the Army to become a Royal Engineer.
    I'm pretty on top of selection criteria, but also, after looking through the Armed Forces section of TSR a few times I have the impression that people really over-estimate the selection process.

Thanks for being concerned anyway

(Original post by jjackson18624)

If you don't want to go straight to uni, you could have a post-uni gap year and do charity work abroad and stuff, work a little (possibly abroad) , do some more charity work ect...This would give you plenty of intresting stuff to talk about at interview when it came to responsibilities and teamwork, but your current plan will do you no favours in the job market im affraid. I'd start saving now if you want to take a gap year...they're expensive.
    It's not exactly a gap year, and I'm not really doing it for my CV.
    I'd have an engineer master degree, 20hours flight experiance, have spent 2 or 3 years with the TA, know Spanish, plus all the little things that ad up (like boxing, football, my jobs, etc) to impress engineering companies with...
    I don't really think a "gap year" (as I'd put it in an interview) would hurt their feelings too much... and even if it did; I'd still do it.
    Thanks for the advice though

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

Articles and guides:

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A-Z of careers Advice on choosing a careerCV writing helpCovering letter helpInterview tips

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

Merck

"Merck is a global leader in specialized pharma & chemicals – join us!"

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Quick links:

Unanswered career sector and employment threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.