Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by C_B_C)
    Is that going to be your life then? Am I supposed to look up to that?

I'm either joining the forces or taking a year or two out; you have to live sometime in life.
    You live life up till you leave uni, then you work your ass off till you're 35ish and then retire and start living life again.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thatwhichiam)
    Call it life experience on your CV, and saying you were working out what you wanted to do in life.

It's the kind of thing I'm doing, except I don't plan to do much travelling, and only for a year while I apply to graduate jobs. Council tax is a *****, as I found out this evening, but otherwise living expenses won't be too different.
    This is bad advise.
    An reputable employer will laugh at someone who actually puts down a section of their CV as 'life experiences'.
    OP: Work out what you want to do with your life on the weekend not over a one year period.
    lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Slick 'n' Shady)
    This is bad advise.
    An reputable employer will laugh at someone who actually puts down a section of their CV as 'life experiences'.
    OP: Work out what you want to do with your life on the weekend not over a one year period.
    lol
    Well, mine actually will be work life experience, as I've never had a job before. I didn't mean entitle the section 'Life Experiences', but use what he did in the year as building up his skills eg my travels abroad helped me develop flexibility and widened my experiences of other cultures, which I believe has led me to being broader minded and more accepting of others.

Off the top of my head, but you get the idea.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by C_B_C)
    I've looked into Office sort-of jobs... secretary, stuff like that.
    They pay 7 - 10 quid an hour, and seem like exactly what I'm looking for.

I think it'll work out.

Nothing to loose, anyway.

PS: OP?
    Are you asking what OP means? Its Original Post/er

Anyway, hope the info I gave at least helped, some of the other stuff on here completely misses your point...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thatwhichiam)
    Well, mine actually will be work life experience, as I've never had a job before. I didn't mean entitle the section 'Life Experiences', but use what he did in the year as building up his skills eg my travels abroad helped me develop flexibility and widened my experiences of other cultures, which I believe has led me to being broader minded and more accepting of others.

Off the top of my head, but you get the idea.
    I agree with you...

Anyway, when it comes down to it, F worrying about little details in your CV: Do what you want in life.

I met a bloke doing Management last year because he knew it would give him loads of options and (he hoped) loads of money. He really wanted to do Art, or Music (I forget which).
    I would've done the degree I WANTED to do... not the sensible one. I just happend to really want to do a degree that opens a lot of doors.

That's when you stop living... when you worry so much about life that you stop having fun all-together.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jennie1987)
    Are you asking what OP means? Its Original Post/er

Anyway, hope the info I gave at least helped, some of the other stuff on here completely misses your point...
    Aah, cheers, OP.

Yeah, it was one of the few posts that actually helps me, thanks :-)

That's exactly what I'm worried about: getting my girlfriend to move in with me (from Spain... I used to live in Spain and got a girlfriend just as I was leaving for Uni in England... convenient), finding two jobs, but realizing after a month or two that we're not enjoying ourselvs because we haven't got enough money to go out, travel, or whatever else we want to do.
    I think that the solution would be to get some sort of office job: they pay pretty well.
    Or even start looking for an Engineering job... see if I can find something not too up-tight.

Thanks Jennie

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by C_B_C)
    I agree with you...

Anyway, when it comes down to it, F worrying about little details in your CV: Do what you want in life.

I met a bloke doing Management last year because he knew it would give him loads of options and (he hoped) loads of money. He really wanted to do Art, or Music (I forget which).
    I would've done the degree I WANTED to do... not the sensible one. I just happend to really want to do a degree that opens a lot of doors.

That's when you stop living... when you worry so much about life that you stop having fun all-together.
    I agree, life>job

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by C_B_C)
    Ive had 6 months off since graduating. I havent really done anything serious career wise but I just wanted to get off the Alevels->degree->graduate scheme->promotion->... conveyor belt for a bit and spend a few stress free months having fun and being happy. Ironically, I think ive been living more like the stereotypical student than I did when I was actually at uni.

It does worry me that its bad for my CV but frankly Im not going to let a recruitment manager somewhere that Ive never met control the way I live my life. If I want a job bad enough I'll do whatever it takes to get it whether my CV has gaps in it or not.

(Original post by Tha_Black_Shinobi)
    How about you grow up stop being pathetic and just prepare yourself to enter the real world like everybody else
    (Original post by vinsta)
    This.

I wish I could **** around painting on walls and playing with yoyos all day but I have some responsibility now.
    I think these kind of comments are pretty pathetic. The only explanation I can think of for that kind of response is that youre not happy with your boring lives and you feel like everybody else should be subjected to them too.

You live life up till you leave uni, then you work your ass off till you're 35ish and then retire and start living life again.
    By the time hes 35ish he wont have the same interests, attitudes and friends will he? Hes not going to want to go out partying and travelling the world when he's middle aged. Chances are most of us will be married with kids by the time were 35.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by C_B_C)
    Aah, cheers, OP.

Yeah, it was one of the few posts that actually helps me, thanks :-)

That's exactly what I'm worried about: getting my girlfriend to move in with me (from Spain... I used to live in Spain and got a girlfriend just as I was leaving for Uni in England... convenient), finding two jobs, but realizing after a month or two that we're not enjoying ourselvs because we haven't got enough money to go out, travel, or whatever else we want to do.
    I think that the solution would be to get some sort of office job: they pay pretty well.
    Or even start looking for an Engineering job... see if I can find something not too up-tight.

Thanks Jennie
    Ive had long-term office jobs too and what I was saying was an office job - theyre all about the same so it depends how much you want to travel...the house and bills is gonna take a lot of your spare cash. If you want to be as frugal as poss with the latter then I suggest this website as it free (no ads so all unbiased info) and details cheapest ways for everything from travel money and telephone bills to shopping/restaurant vouchers and products (e.g. cheapest blu-ray players). Everything is really well researched and if you sign up for the email list then youll get the latest deals (e.g 2 for 1 at Pizza Express for 1 week, 40% off Yo Sushi, New Current Account with £100 joining bonus...).

ReputationRep:
    ^^^ What halfoflessthan50p said.

After I graduate this year, I'm hopefully moving in with my gf, getting an office type job and just having some fun. You can't live your life by what it looks like on your CV. If I come to apply again for graduate jobs (applied this year then decided I need some time out from being on the "right" track since aged 4) then I'll call this a gap year where I got some valuable work experience. Plus things like the M and S graduate schemes (I know op isn't going into retail management) want people of all ages, not just 21 year old graduates with very limited life and work experience. It's all very well having 6 A*s at GCSE but employers look for soft skills (such as understanding the ways of office politics) which you can only learn after you've got out there for a bit.

Plus a lot of careers advisers will tell you that it's not what's on your CV, it's how you talk about it. So if you can talk about how you used a gap year well, you'll be fine.

(Original post by bikipip)
    I think the unfavorable comments you are getting are because some people with your attitude get into bad habit and end up working mediocre jobs for the rest of their lives.
    Zing! :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by halfoflessthan50p)
    Ive had 6 months off since graduating. I havent really done anything serious career wise but I just wanted to get off the Alevels->degree->graduate scheme->promotion->... conveyor belt for a bit and spend a few stress free months having fun and being happy. Ironically, I think ive been living more like the stereotypical student than I did when I was actually at uni.

It does worry me that its bad for my CV but frankly Im not going to let a recruitment manager somewhere that Ive never met control the way I live my life. If I want a job bad enough I'll do whatever it takes to get it whether my CV has gaps in it or not.

I think these kind of comments are pretty pathetic. The only explanation I can think of for that kind of response is that youre not happy with your boring lives and you feel like everybody else should be subjected to them too.

By the time hes 35ish he wont have the same interests, attitudes and friends will he? Hes not going to want to go out partying and travelling the world when he's middle aged. Chances are most of us will be married with kids by the time were 35.
    It's called maturity and sorting out your priorities; obviously something which at least 18 years of life hasn't taught you yet.

ReputationRep:
    Aaaand that's the next 3 days REP reserved.

I couldn't agree more with all of you.
    Thanks for your help, this has really settled my mind.

I think you're an absolute legend for refusing to follow the "conveyor belt".

(Original post by jennie1987)
    Ive had long-term office jobs too and what I was saying was an office job - theyre all about the same so it depends how much you want to travel...the house and bills is gonna take a lot of your spare cash. If you want to be as frugal as poss with the latter then I suggest this website as it free (no ads so all unbiased info) and details cheapest ways for everything from travel money and telephone bills to shopping/restaurant vouchers and products (e.g. cheapest blu-ray players). Everything is really well researched and if you sign up for the email list then youll get the latest deals (e.g 2 for 1 at Pizza Express for 1 week, 40% off Yo Sushi, New Current Account with £100 joining bonus...).
    That page is epic, thanks.

ReputationRep:
    It's called maturity and sorting out your priorities; obviously something which at least 18 years of life hasn't taught you yet.
    You only live once.

ReputationRep:
    22 years actually.

And as the one with the house, degree and fiance I think I probably win in the maturity competition.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by C_B_C)
    You only live once.
    True. But I'd give up 10ish years to be able to live the next 40 extremely comfortably.

ReputationRep:
    22 years actually.

And as the one with the house, degree and fiance I think I probably win in the maturity competition.
    Yes, which is why I said AT LEAST 18.

It was never a competition.
    Just because you have a mortgage, a degree and someone you can **** when you please doesn't make you mature. Hell, chavs have at least 2 of those as standard.

ReputationRep:
    Yes, which is why I said AT LEAST 18.

It was never a competition.

Just because you have a mortgage, a degree and someone you can **** when you please doesn't make you mature. Hell, chavs have at least 2 of those as standard.
    Well then lets stop calling each other names and lets live our lives how we each see fit. And fair point about the chavs

To be honest if we were having this argument 3 years ago I would probably be on your side not C_B_C's so I see where youre coming from. Im still ambitious but my ambitions arent as focussed on money and careers as they use to be.

Ive had a few really life-changing experiences recently including independence, interrailing across europe, love, making friends with people who are completely unlike anybody ive know before, saving someones life, two serious near death experiences and reading some books about philosophy. I came to the conclusion that you can take deferred gratification too far sometimes and life is simply too short not to live in the moment. What they teach you in school isnt the whole story.

ReputationRep:
    Well then lets stop calling each other names and lets live our lives how we each see fit. And fair point about the chavs

To be honest if we were having this argument 3 years ago I would probably be on your side not C_B_C's so I see where youre coming from. Im still ambitious but my ambitions arent as focussed on money and careers as they use to be.

Ive had a few really life-changing experiences recently including independence, interrailing across europe, love, making friends with people who are completely unlike anybody ive know before, saving someones life, two serious near death experiences and reading some books about philosophy. I came to the conclusion that you can take deferred gratification too far sometimes and life is simply too short not to live in the moment. What they teach you in school isnt the whole story.
    Yeah I can do that
    I can see your point of view though and it seems like many great things have happened to you recently.

ReputationRep:
    True. But I'd give up 10ish years to be able to live the next 40 extremely comfortably.
    I'm not being sarcastic or rude, this is a genuine question; I'm not even trying to make a point.
    If you had to make a plan for your life right here right now, what would it be? What would you do in the next few years, what would you do after, where would you be in 30 years?

Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Useful resources

Articles and guides:

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A-Z of careers Advice on choosing a careerCV writing helpCovering letter helpInterview tips

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

Merck

"Merck is a global leader in specialized pharma & chemicals – join us!"

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Quick links:

Unanswered career sector and employment threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.