Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Non-monogamous relationships. Your opinion? watch

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    I dunno - its not for me - I'd like for a girl to be mine - not in a controlling way, just a really strong, special bond between me and her - no sharing:p:

ReputationRep:
    I'd do it.

ReputationRep:
    I don't really believe love lasts forever. Although I'd be fine in a monogamous relationship, I'd be equally happy in a long-term relationship where, say, four years down the line he naturally starts to feel attracted towards other particular women, and is able to have physical relations with them. Instead of repressing it and both of us pretending that we find no-one in the world but each other attractive.

The only exception is emotionally - if either of us were to fall out of 'love' or 'in love' with someone else, then I do have problems with that. But, sex, meh. He can do what he wants - and by that motion, I can too.

ReputationRep:
    I believe in the quote 'trust is more important than monogamy'. If people trust their partners whilst in a non-monogamous relationship, then brilliant.

From my point of view, though, there could be little worse. Being in love, I know that I could never want anyone else - a polygamous relationship, to me, indicates a lack of love, and may as well not happen.

ReputationRep:
    http://static.funnyjunk.com/pictures/img_0083.jpg

:sexface:

Monogamy FTW.

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't like the thought of my boyfriend being with other girls! I'd be way too jealous!

I guess it could work for some couples if they where both that way inclined. I wouldn't have thought it could last though...

ReputationRep:
    It would definitely not be for me..

ReputationRep:
    An interesting concept. Though completely incompatible with most British/Western ideas of a relationship, so probably not going to work here.

ReputationRep:
    If the people involved are happy with it, and make it work, then fair enough. I couldn't do it though.

ReputationRep:
    Not my thing really, but whatever works for you.

ReputationRep:
    It would make me feel as though I could not fulfil my partner's needs in a relationship entirely, if he were to go with someone else at the same time. I'd rather feel I am everything my boyfriend needs to be happy in a relationship, and that any other person added into the equation would ruin it.

And happily, it's all working out just fine.

ReputationRep:
    No I find that idea wierd

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PearlyWhites)
    So if/when either of you give each other some kind of STD/STI what exactly happens then? Or what happens if you get pregnant and have no idea who the dad is? OR if your man gets the other lady up the duff, and she decides to keep the baby?
    Yeah yeah I know condoms are available, but why allow you, your partner and your relationship to be put in that kind of risk?

And please dont say something along the lines of "he's only going to cheat anyway"... not all men cheat.
    I'm not dense. I'm in a monogamous relationship at the moment and I still use condoms/the pill. So I'm not going to get pregnant now, or if I'm in an open relationship.
    I'd expect him to wear a condom. And if he doesnt and impregnates another girl thats his problem.

ReputationRep:
    Interesting replies. I'm personally cynical about the idea of there being a "one true love" for everyone (although I am aware that many people do have wonderful life-long relationships), and I think the idea of only being attracted to one person is contrived in most cases, which is why I would consider trying this. However, on the flip side I don't know how I'd handle the reality of it. Do you think this is because of the way our society has developed, with this sort of thing being considered taboo, or is it just a part of human nature to be "jealous," as one reply put it? And the point raised about STIs is obviously valid.

ReputationRep:
    They're a disgrace.

ReputationRep:
    I'm in an open relationship currently and it's working fine. We set some rules, I don't ask him what he does and he doesn't ask me. We've still got a close relationship (obviously close enough that I trust him to stick to the rules we agreed with.) There's a bit of an age gap between us, so I think the playing around is more on my side to get it out my system, if things are still going well when I'm older then we'll be hitting monogamy, so for me, it could never be a long term thing if I wanted to stay with him.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by adamrules247)
    They're a disgrace.
    Care to elaborate? A disgrace to what?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PearlyWhites)
    Yeah it's his problem if he gets somebody pregnant and you could easily walk away. So if he gives you AIDS, then it wouldn't be so easy would it. What would you do then? And how could you be mad with him, when you've given him permission to go off with other women? We all know condoms aren't 100% secure, hence why you take the pill too. How is the pill going to protect you from diseases?

But more importantly, how could you be fine with the fact that your man would go and have sex with other women simply because you allowed him to? Personally, I'd have to question our 'relationship' and how he views me, if he doesn't mind sharing me with a ton of other guys. Why elevate this 'arrangement' as being a 'relationship'? It's no more than **** buddies.
    So you don't think you could genuinely care for more than one person at the same time?

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 25, 2010
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.