Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Non-monogamous relationships. Your opinion? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I couldn't do it, but I don't have a huge problem with other people doing it.

(Original post by EM(Lin))
    Thanks Congratulations to you too. And although I obviously have to agree on the whole Ox vs Cam thing (woop woop Oxford!) why do you say that? :p:

Why do I say what?

That Cambridge is better?

It's a fact of life:yep:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HDS)

Why do I say what?

That Cambridge is better?

It's a fact of life:yep:
    Haha it's crazy how early the rivalry starts Love it

Haha it's crazy how early the rivalry starts Love it

What rivalry?

Rivalry implies a worthy adversary..... Something Cambridge lacks:yep:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PearlyWhites)
    Whether there's a 50% chance or a 0.01% chance, there's still A chance! No matter how miniscule.

Okay okay we're clearly from very very different backgrounds. IMO promiscuity can never be "fine". The idea repulses me. (YOU don't repulse me- the act does)
    You have a 1 in 40,000 chance of contracting HIV as a result of a split condom. Yet you have a 1 in 200 chance of dying in a car crash - I'm still gonna drive though. Ya get me?

Basically, in everyday life, you are taking chances. If we were so careful as to avoid them, we wouldnt be enjoying life that much would we.

ReputationRep:
    I'm just curious to find out people's opinions (and yes, I am pretty bored :p: )

I've always thought of relationships as strictly two-person affairs. However, recently I've begun to wonder whether a three-way relationship, or a relationship where both parties had other partners, would ever work.

So, in this theoretical scenario everyone involved knows what's going on and has agreed to it. Could it be maintained? Would it be fulfilling? Discuss

EDIT: Not sure if this belongs here or in general discussion- sorry if I've got it wrong!

I know people who have tried either an open relationship and/or a polyamorous relationship and usually, one/some/all party/ies end up getting very hurt at some point.

I'm not against what might truely work for other people but it's not something I understand or aspire to myself. The biggest issues I can think of is "what about marriage and havign kids?" not to mention the potential self esteem problems that could occur. I mean girls, how many of you could realistically see being able to cope with the thought that your boyfriend also had the same feelings for another woman as he did for you?

ReputationRep:
    I've never really thought about it.
    I wouldn't plan it but I guess if it happened naturally then I'd maybe go along with it to try it out ...

x

ReputationRep:
    I personally don't understand how someone can claim to be in love with another, yet have no problem with having physical relations with different people. I wouldn't accept a guy cheating on me whether or not he claimed to be in love with me, and I wouldn't do it in return, but there we are

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by laurakate1988)
    I know people who have tried either an open relationship and/or a polyamorous relationship and usually, one/some/all party/ies end up getting very hurt at some point.

I'm not against what might truely work for other people but it's not something I understand or aspire to myself. The biggest issues I can think of is "what about marriage and havign kids?" not to mention the potential self esteem problems that could occur. I mean girls, how many of you could realistically see being able to cope with the thought that your boyfriend also had the same feelings for another woman as he did for you?

*raises hand* :yep:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by caroline147)
    I think open relationships are the way forward, they're hands down preferable to monogamy. Hopefully, in a couple of centuries we can look back at the idea of monogamous relationships and laugh.

It's difficult to find people who are up for it though, my ex refused point blank.
    Agreed. Cool to see that there are some like-minded people around! I have met zero other poly people since I came to the UK.

ReputationRep:
    Sometimes I think so but most of the time I wouldn't want to entertain the idea, no. I just want a man that';d stick by me only...i think.

ReputationRep:
    I think it's a great idea.
    Monogamy is too cruel of a rule! but I only accept it if I'm the only guy and it's multiple girls. I don't believe in just having one wife either, there's just no fun in that. Polygamy is pure awesomeness :woo:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lindsayjane)

Or if anyone has any questions, I'd be happy to answer. Not that I'm an expert exactly, I've been polyamorous barely over a year... but I'm still happy to share! Just please, be respectful with your questions. I understand that this isn't for everyone. Many people believe very strongly in monogamy, and I respect that. I hope that you will show me equal respect. I have made different choices in my life than most people, but I mean it as no affront to anyone. It's just the way I feel inspired to love.
    i have no idea how you can do this... but i do have respect for you i've been with my boyfriend for nearly 3 years, and i dont want anyone else. you say you love him and i'm not arguing with that but, if you love him, why do you want to be with other people?

ReputationRep:
    I think an open relationship would be compatible with the way I view long term relationships (i.e. a strong bond based on trust, support, and in particular, understanding but still separate lives, not needing to do everything together). I'd be willing to consider it I think in some situations but I don't know if I'd ever particularly want one. I don't think I'd like a polyamorous relationship though for many reasons. If they suit other people, great.

ReputationRep:
    It's not something I'd personally do, because I feel that if someone can't give you want then they're probably not the right person for you.
    I realise that what some people want is more than one partner, even if both partners satisfy every other need. That's fine with me, just not for my relationships.

ReputationRep:
    i see where you're where you're coming from and would be really interested in seeing whether it worked..but surely there'd be alot of jealousy involved..?!?!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Profesh)
    You'd have to be either exceptionally confident, abnormally blasé, or exercise a highly unusual sense of priorities. In any event, it isn't for me; although I've nothing but respect for those who can make it work.
    i agree with this post entirely. mad respect to anyone that can handle a polygamous relationship; i just don't think i could.

ReputationRep:
    you'll have to castrate all the men.

a polygamous society will just lead to testosterone/hormones flying about everywhere, which isn't a good thing.

nevertheless being a man, polygamy obviously, but only for me of course

ReputationRep:
    It's cool- sharing is caring

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by missy31)
    i have no idea how you can do this... but i do have respect for you i've been with my boyfriend for nearly 3 years, and i dont want anyone else. you say you love him and i'm not arguing with that but, if you love him, why do you want to be with other people?
    I think I just see things differently. I don't believe any one person can be everything to me. I don't believe that I can only be in love with one person at a time. I don't believe most people stop desiring others completely just because they are in a relationship. Even people who are monogamous still often develop feelings for other people, they just choose to suppress that impulse. I don't. I think having more people that I care about, and who care about me, is wonderful! And with some people, if I choose not to suppress it, sex is a natural part of that caring.

Also curious: do you ever want to be with other people, or find yourself with a crush? Is it something that you choose not to do, or something that you've truly never wanted? Even when I was monogamous, I would want to be with other people sometimes. So, I'm just as curious about your way as you are about mine! :^_^:

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 25, 2010
Poll
Do I go to The Streets tomorrow night?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.