Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Thinking of getting a MG ZR 1.4 (2000-2004) watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    So what should I get? A range rover HG or a modified HG kit?

Had a look at them, originally wanted a Golf, im swaying to the looks of a MG ZR to be honest

ReputationRep:
    my engine blown up after 500 miles of me having a car at 39k

On other hand it cost me only 300quid to get a different engine with 28k

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by motorsportUK)
    Anything made by rover is prone to head gasket failure!

Are you sure?

ReputationRep:
    I really like them. The interior is crap, but they handle well, look good, have bags of character and are incredibly cheap these days. As mentioned, you can fit the Freelander HG kit and then you'll have a very good engine.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DaveDavids)
    you'd rather look good stationary (as its unreliable and slow) than look good in motion haha!
    Not quite, dno where you got that from...

MG ZR:

Engine Size: 1396 cc
    0-60 mph: 10.0 s
    Power Output: 101 bhp
    Top Speed 111 mph

Compared to the same sized engine Golf:

Engine Size: 1390 cc
    0-60 mph: 13.6 s
    Power Output: 75 bhp
    Top Speed 106 mph

So, lets see: MG ZR has 6 cc more, 3.6 seconds faster at 0-60, 26bhp more and a higher top speed.

How is it unreliable?
    Because of the Head Gasket? Well you know the common fault on Golfs is that a piece in the gearbox just snaps and you are left to replace your gearbox.

So overall, it's not slow and unreliable... it's got a common fault as does every car on the market.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by War)

So overall, it's not slow and unreliable... it's got a common fault as does every car on the market.
    To be fair most cars can be unreliable if they haven't been looked after, it would be worth looking for an MG with a decent service history though, at least then you know its been maintained, even if the HG hasn't been done already.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by War)
    Not quite, dno where you got that from...

MG ZR:

Engine Size: 1396 cc
    0-60 mph: 10.0 s
    Power Output: 101 bhp
    Top Speed 111 mph

Compared to the same sized engine Golf:

Engine Size: 1390 cc
    0-60 mph: 13.6 s
    Power Output: 75 bhp
    Top Speed 106 mph

So, lets see: MG ZR has 6 cc more, 3.6 seconds faster at 0-60, 26bhp more and a higher top speed.

How is it unreliable?
    Because of the Head Gasket? Well you know the common fault on Golfs is that a piece in the gearbox just snaps and you are left to replace your gearbox.

get 1.6 16v golf, simples!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fosters88)
    I think DaveDavids was getting at the fact that there are crap looking cars which are considerably cheaper and perform better, infact a lot of cars perform better than the Golf 1.4 and MG ZR 1.4!

As I said in my previous post my standard Ka owned my mates MG ZR 1.4 .
    You are naive to think a more powerful car has the edge, power to weight ratio is an important factor especially when the more powerful car is not extreme!
    standard Ka power to weight ratio: 1hp per 28.7 lbs of weight.
    MG ZR 1.4 power to weight ratio: 1hp per 32.9 lbs of weight.

Ka has higher torque in the lower gear ratios it pulls quicker, MG advantage over the Ka will be at high speed shame the speed limit is 70mph! Another mate of mine owns a Golf 1.4 and likewise the Ka is faster. Last time I we took the MG ZR 1.4 and the Golf 1.4 on the road at the same time for a trip, I seem to remember the MG had the edge, just! MG 1.4 and Golf 1.4 are obviously not fast in their class but they are also not fast in comparison to a lot of smaller cars with smaller engines which are cheaper to purchase and run.

If you want a bigger/heavier car, you need more power to compensate for the weight. If you are after performance it is pointless getting a Golf or MG with a 1.4 engine (not unless its turbo-charged!).
    Your KA didn't "own" anything.

Unless you have the 1.6, and even then, not even a third of a second off to sixty means it's owned anything.

Besides, it's a KA.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ras90)
    get 1.6 16v golf, simples!
    Get a diesel ZR, simples.

No HGF, and can get to over 140bhp easily enough.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by War)
    lol cheers for the replies.
    Well, I've got myself as a named driver under my mum since I'm not really going to be driving it all that often and it's not too expensive... Being quoted around £2200.00 which is cheaper than a 1.4 VW polo.
    Well, when you think about it.. 1.4 is small lol
    Head Gaskets are pretty pricey to replace. Would want to replace it with a better head gasket, know if this is possible?
    If you're the registered keeper your little insurance scam is illegal and the insurance company won't pay out if you call on them.

ReputationRep:
    really, considering I also drive a Megane 1.5 and Focus 1.6 I know exactly which has the edge

hammering them in a straight:
    Ka 1.3 owns the Megane 1.5 0-42ish and then 43ish+ they are both are par
    Ka 1.3 owns the Focus 1.6 0-45ish and then 46+ the Focus pisses on the Ka.
    Add some corners/bends:
    Ka will gain at least a '1 car length' every turn over the Focus and especially the Megane. Megane is **** at cornering.

and im talking about these 3 cars having best posisble power to weight ratio, just a driver, half a tank and nothing in the boot.

Once at high speed the Ka suffers when you brake you loose momentum and when go back on the accelerator the car does not pull as well as if you were accelerating from a standing-start. so if you want to pull away quickly after braking at high-speed you gotta drop gears to access the torque.
    The Focus 1.6 has more torque in the higher gear ratios and thus pulls away rapidly against the Ka once at high speed e.g. 55+ shame the speed limit is 70mph!!!! Megane 1.5 is simply on par from 43ish+ so theres some advice for people if your considering getting a Megane, make sure its greater than a 1.5 engine, as the 1.5 has poor power to weight ratio!

edit:

besides, its fingerpants, so who cares!
    I've driven 1.3 ford Kas and 1.6 focuses. let's just say I dissagree :laugh:

at any rate. I know which I'd have by far..

ReputationRep:
    Your mate with the MG is either a terrible driver, or has a very poorly MG. The Ka 1.3 clocks in at 13.7s to 60mph, whereas the MG 1.4 gets there in 10.0s. Neither is exactly quick, but the MG would win by a considerable margin.

ReputationRep:
    really, considering I also drive a Megane 1.5 and Focus 1.6 I know exactly which has the edge

hammering them in a straight:
    Ka 1.3 owns the Megane 1.5 0-42ish and then 43ish+ they are both are par
    Ka 1.3 owns the Focus 1.6 0-45ish and then 46+ the Focus pisses on the Ka.
    Add some corners/bends:
    Ka will gain at least a '1 car length' every turn over the Focus and especially the Megane. Megane is **** at cornering.

and im talking about these 3 cars having best posisble power to weight ratio, just a driver, half a tank and nothing in the boot.

The Focus 1.6 has more torque in the higher gear ratios and thus pulls away rapidly against the Ka once at high speed e.g. 55+ shame the speed limit is 70mph!!!! Megane 1.5 is simply on par from 43ish+ so theres some advice for people if your considering getting a Megane, make sure its greater than a 1.5 engine, as the 1.5 has poor power to weight ratio!

As for the MG ZR 1.4 its **** thats why my mate got rid of it, knowing that Ka 1.3 is quicker did more damage than the head gasket blowing! My other mate that owns Golf 1.4, he bought into the VW Golf brand what he didnt realise buying the base model was going to involve a engine that can not cope with the weight. I think he is due to sell the Golf 1.4 this year.

edit:

besides, its fingerpants, so who cares!
    I'm afraid you don't understand cars much, I'm gonna let this argument slide.

I'll let you believe that a car has more torque in higher gears, and that Ka's are awesome.

ReputationRep:
    Lets face it... you cant be that bothered about speed... or you wouldnt buy any of the cars stated in this thread

ReputationRep:
    0-60 stats in general are an indicator... that is way off.
    small size cars: Clio, Ka, Corsa etc... they give a poor time (mostly false info, doing no favours to the car)
    average size cars: Focus, Megane, Astra etc.... they give an average time (mostly false info, doing big favours to the car)
    performance car is likely to be accurate (almost always fact)

The Ka does not clock 0-60 in the time you have quoted.
    PROOF the new Ka is heavier and less powerful and its claimed it has a 0-60 of approx 13.0 .... how is that so if its heavier and less powerfull? thats because the 0-60 of the original Ka was never correct!
    I can confirm the new Ka is slower than the old Ka, but stats say different!

The MG ZR 1.4 0-60 is over-exaggerated the Ka 1.3 0-60 is understated
    This is the reason why we hammered them both to see which was quicker (cos neither my mate or myself are naive enough to believe published stats as hey are way off indicators) and this is the the reason why I work out power to weight ratios when Im looking at cars... cos you can not trust the stats.

Mean im looking at the Fiesta or Focus as my next car.
    To get a decent power to weight ratio you need a minimum of 1.4 Fiesta or 1.6 focus.
    But i'm looking at the Fiesta 1.6 and Focus 1.8 .
    Honestly, this is the biggest load of crap I've read on here since....well since that chap came on a couple of days ago claiming he owned all those supercars.

My figures are correct - they've been independently booked at those times. I have no idea why you've come out with this "false info" stuff and talk about bigger cars having "favours" bestowed upon them?

The MG smokes the Ka. They're both pretty slow, but the MG is still at least 3.0s quicker to 60. I've no idea after 60, but I'm willing to bet any sum of money you like that the Ka runs out of puff long before the MG does.

ReputationRep:
    There is no replacement for displacement...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gbduo)
    There is no replacement for displacement...
    forced induction ftw

and by the by, fosters, not that it matters, but I've driven a 1.4 ZR and a 1.4 rover 400. both did 60 in the stated times or thereabouts

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jaw)
    forced induction ftw

and by the by, fosters, not that it matters, but I've driven a 1.4 ZR and a 1.4 rover 400. both did 60 in the stated times or thereabouts
    on a 8ltr W16 engine...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gbduo)
    on a 8ltr W16 engine...
    best of both worlds

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jaw)
    best of both worlds
    haha, true!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: May 16, 2016
Poll
Do you like carrot cake?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.