Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hola!
    i'm doing unit 4b,AQA Geography on Tuesday but the specimen asks about level of significance:
    'interpret the significance of your calculated value using figure 2'

rs:0.665 n=17
    figure 2 :
    levels of significance:
    n 0.5 0.1
    12 .506 .712
    14 .456 .645
    16 .425 .601
    18 .399 .564

from that,how do i work it out?
    n=17 in this case btw.
    I know that if it's aove 0.01 we can be 99% confident in the result and that it didn't occur by chance and 0.05 is only 95% confidence ie 5% likely to have occured by chance but i don;t kow hwoi work it out from that table

PLEASE help me!??!?!?!

the Rs= 0.665 n= 17

so ithe answer is 0.01 therefore we can be 99% confident in the fact that the positive correlation didn;t occur by chance

now i'm confused here.
    i just had a maths friend explain it but i'm still a bit sketchy :/

so,we notice the critical values are decreasing. N=16 is .601 whilst n=18 is .564
    clearly n=17 slots in the middle. If the Rs must be equal to or greater than the critical value to be significant.
    Obviously, 0.665 is greater than both n=16 and n=18 so it must be greater than nj=17 aswell,meaning we can say that it is of 0.01 significance,yes?

is it essentially a guessing game of sorts?

any chance anyone could explain it to me just so i have a concrete knowledge of it?
    thanks in advance

ReputationRep:
    I jsut learned this for my AS geography exam last friday

Basically, your values are:

rs:0.665 n=17
    figure 2 :
    levels of significance:
    n 0.5 0.1
    12 .506 .712
    14 .456 .645
    16 .425 .601
    18 .399 .564

As 17 is in the middle, work out what the levels of sgnificance would be (the median of 16 and 18)

N=17 5%= 0.412 1%= 0.583

Now, if your value of spearman's rank is more than 0.412 there is a 95% significance that in the real world, your correlation is correct, and if it is above 0.583 there is a 99% significance that your correlation is correct i.e. the results you collected did not happen by chance.

As your value is 0.665, it is above 0.583 so there is a 99% significance that it is correct

That is how I was taught it, hopefully you understand what I wrote

Good luck with the exam!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.