Turn on thread page Beta

How to deal with vile/rude/insulting customers at work? watch

ReputationRep:
    I just became more and more sweet and courteous the angrier they got. Sometimes resorting to patronising.

One hilarious one was this guy came in to buy something, couldn't find it, asked me, I said we didn't stock it.

"My wife came here yesterday and there was definately stock here."
    "I can assure you sir we have not stocked that product for at least a few months now."
    "Are you calling my wife a liar?!?"
    "No, sir, perhaps she simply got confused at the product or perhaps you misunderstood her?"
    etc.

He stormed off at one point after me saying "it's easy to mistake shop names or products, I'm sure this is just a silly misunderstanding". My manager gave me a disapproving look, but he's a bit of a legend and just ignored it. The brilliant thing was the same guy came back an hour later apologising because he got the wrong shop afterall XD Have to admit, as much of a **** he was, it took a hell of a lot of balls to come back and say that.

ReputationRep:
    Inb4 cockslap them.

ReputationRep:
    poo frequently, never wash your hands and insist on caressing all rude customers, shaking their hand vigorously to apologise for your inadequacies.

ReputationRep:
    Smile through it, and then make V-signs repeatedly at them when they turn away. I employ this method when dealing with arsey people at the charity shop where I volunteer.

ReputationRep:
    Don't say anything rude back, tempting as it may be. Don't let it knock your confidence, you said yourself that they're 'vile' and that's what they are. You can think to yourself that they're ******* morons, just keep quiet and smile sweetly. That's what I do anyway. You can refuse to speak to/serve them after they've been really rude to you (for example the 2 year old comment). Trust me though, don't answer back, I sometimes feel like smacking them 'round the face but in the end it's not worth it and by smiling sweetly and remaining polite you'll piss 'em off more.

Thanks so much everyone, glad to here that I am not alone in this. That vile woman has just made me feel awful all day and I have that worthless feeling hanging over my head again.

You are right though, I should just rise above it and try and forget about it...it is difficult though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HumorousGent.)
    poo frequently, never wash your hands and insist on caressing all rude customers, shaking their hand vigorously to apologise for your inadequacies.
    Ahahahaha I agree. This would do the trick.

or

"Oi, bit.ch, STFU. *spit in their face*.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fire2burn)
    Do what my old boss used to do "Sorry love your opinion is not valid, you've a face like a smacked arse and those trousers don't exactly hide the weight. We don't sell cakes nor slimfast here perhaps Tesco's is what you're looking for?"

Obviously he wasn't a douche to every customer, just the ones who were particularly rude in the first place thus deserving of being humiliated in front of everyone else. If people were rude to him, he was just as rude back.

So I guess the point is fight fire with fire?
    What and he wasn't sacked?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I'm really sick of this. I work in retail in an outdoor shop. I'm 21, female and and Uni student, working 9-5 at the weekends. More often then not I am on the recieving end of sexist comments aimed at me ("Sorry love/darlin', I'd rather speak to a man" is the most common one), but I had one rather vile customer really upset me today. A woman and her daughter marched up to our desk where I was doing some paper work. She shoved a product in front my face and asked how it worked (no 'excuse me'). I took it from her, paused to think for a second, when she snatched it back and said...I quote..."I bloody well knew it. You don't know. Useless girl. But what would I expect from asking a 2 year old". She then stormed off. I was speechless...I didn't say a word to this women, yet she insulted me by calling me a 2 year old and useless?

Dealing with these type of vile people is really knocking my confidence, which I have very little of anyway (due to being bullied relentlessly for 7 years throughout school and college). Should I continue to ignore customers that personally insult me? part of me wants to turn around and insult them, but I think that might not go down too well if they said that to my manager.
    You can always ask them sincerely what that would make them asking a useless 2-year old. That would shut them up...

(Original post by Sakura-Chan)
    I used to work on the parts counter at Halfords, selling car batteries and such. 90% of people would ask if I could get someone to help them, and then whatever I said and no matter how much I knew about something, I'd always get 'Oh it's okay sweetheart, I'll go ask this man over here.' It's not just men, women are really bad for doing it too.

It's hard not to come out with sarcastic remarks in return, but when they realise you were right in the first place they might feel bad about it.

As for the woman that came in today, she was incredibly rude but you just have to get over it and take it on the chin. You're not useless. If you didn't know how it worked or you just can't be bothered dealing with arsey customers, the easiest thing to do is say it's not a product from your department and show them who to ask. Just keep being polite and professional :yep:
    I get the same. People must think that any outdoor product must be man related. One woman a couple of weeks ago refused to to take my advice and would 'rather wait for a man'. The only 'man' on my section was on his lunch break and I wasn't about to disturb him when I knew full it was a question that I could answer. Guess what? she waited for 'a man' for exactly 45 minutes. It was a simple question and she and the 'man' were done talking in less than a minute, and it was a question that I could have answered myself. You can't help but feel a little inferior.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Thanks so much everyone, glad to here that I am not alone in this. That vile woman has just made me feel awful all day and I have that worthless feeling hanging over my head again.

You are right though, I should just rise above it and try and forget about it...it is difficult though.
    You are SUPER-DUPER-AWESOME :nods: :cool: You have more win in one of your little toes that one of the silly customers has in their whole body

Maybe you could mention to your male colleagues that customers are being sexist, and ask them to help you deal with it. Then if a customer says they'd rather speak to a man, you could go and ask one of your male colleagues that a customer has a question for them about a <whatever it is>, who can say, 'Oh, if they want, but you know just as much about <whatever it is> as I do, and I'm busy doing <whatever they were doing>', just loud enough that the customer hears.

(Original post by EmiPark)
    Meh...stop complaining. Sales people are just as rude.

And how do you justify calling someone vile based on one comment they have said to you....
    So if someone stormed up to you and called you a useless two year old with absolutely no justification, you would think that individual was a nice person? :rolleyes:

And how do you justify calling someone vile based on one comment they have said to you....
    Because maybe making those type of comments for no reason makes that person a vile ****? :confused:

ReputationRep:

eh?

this customer was rude to her without any apparent reason. That is pretty low-life tbh. I doubt any sales person would be that nasty without a pretty good reason.

Are you one of these customers aswell?

If so, please stay the Hell away from my shop (or anyone elses).

ReputationRep:

I think the problem is how to deal with an unpleasant customer at the time, and how to stop the situation from upsetting OP longer-term. It's not really about how nice or not customers and staff are in comprarison.

Maybe a better way of putting it would be to say that the customer 'behaved in a vile way'. I agree with your point about judging someone to be 'vile' based on one encounter, but if I was a customer was 'awful', I'd not mean that I think they are eternally and constantly awful, but that in the brief time I encountered them, they behaved in an awful way. I'd say the former because it's less cumbersome, not because I mean its most extreme interpretation.

ReputationRep:
    You can't base whether someone is a nice person on that...it's not like she called her a dirty ******* mother ******* fat ugly big nosed whore and then punched her in the face breaking her nose and knocking out a few teeth....a useless two year old? Honestly, it's harmless.
    You're obviously an emotionless robot. Honestly, how can you not see how anyone could get upset at that God-awful woman. There was absolutely no excuse for it.

(Original post by Cool Cat)
    eh?

this customer was rude to her without any apparent reason. That is pretty low-life tbh. I doubt any sales person would be that nasty without a pretty good reason.

Are you one of these customers aswell?

If so, please stay the Hell away from my shop (or anyone elses).

No, I'm actually polite. It pisses me off that those type of sales people don't say nothing to the rude people(too scared) but are rude to the polite people(me). Sure not all aren't like that, but you know what I mean.

The woman was clearly angry, that was her reason. No, that isn't low-life...beating the **** out of her would be low life. It was rude, but doesn't make the woman vile....just rude....

You can't base whether someone is a nice person on that...it's not like she called her a dirty ******* mother ******* fat ugly big nosed whore and then punched her in the face breaking her nose and knocking out a few teeth....a useless two year old? Honestly, it's harmless.
    Err...yes you can get a pretty good idea of a persons character if they are willinging to openly insult a completely stranger, that hasn't said a word to them. That isn't exactly normal or rational to verbally lash out at someone that hasn't uttered a word to you, is it?

To me it is not harmless. I go out of my way to be polite about customers, so I don't expected to be approached and insulted for doing nothing.

Ignore them

I worked in telemarketing for a few days (I stopped because I couldn't sleep at night and the script would repeat itself in my head continuously [I still know it to this day])

I've had people cry at me, sing at me, shout at me, threaten to call their laweyers, but my favorite was this one guy with a heavy east asian accent who said

"YU STOP CALLING ME **** YOU I KNOW WHERE YOU WORK I WILL COME THERE AND **** YOU VERY HARD NO NO SHUT UP I WILL **** YOU VERY HARD YOU UNDERSTAND STOP CALL ME STOP CALL FAMILY **** YOURSELF OR I WILL FIND YOU"

Best thing to do is ignore it and in the case of that woman imagine her buying hte product then looking at it with this face: :confused: for several hours. Hope that helps

ReputationRep:
    she called you a two year old? what kind of lame childish insult is that? :rolleyes:

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 18, 2018
Poll
Is the Big Bang theory correct?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.