Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

How to deal with vile/rude/insulting customers at work? watch

ReputationRep:
    smile politely keep good customer service then go to the staff area and totally ***** about them ...thats what i do keeps me sane id rather not get fired by being rude to them even thought its hard not to some times!!!!

(Original post by Anonymous)
    Err...yes you can get a pretty good idea of a persons character if they are willinging to openly insult a completely stranger, that hasn't said a word to them. That isn't exactly normal or rational to verbally lash out at someone that hasn't uttered a word to you, is it?

To me it is not harmless. I go out of my way to be polite about customers, so I don't expected to be approached and insulted for doing nothing.
    Is calling someone a useless 2 year old that hurtful? Maybe you girlies are just too sensitive...

Why don't you quit your job OP? Because you need the money right? Then you have to take the good with the bad, it's not a perfect world, there is such a thing as anger.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EmiPark)
    Lol...you see what I mean! Now who is rude and vile! You just called me an emotionless robot...for no reason!!! I didn't insult you...hahahahahahahahahahaha

I can see why she was upset...but not upset enough to make a thread about...there are worse things the woman could have done....
    ahh maybe it's just me being really sensitive (and therefore siding with another obviously sensitive person) but I can fully understand why she would be so upset :dontknow:

also, in front of her daughter she could have exercised a bit more restraint. It's a bad example.

sorry, I'm not normally so rude

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MrsShifty)
    Be intolerably sweet, pleasant and polite to them (if they give you the chance, of course). Address them as sir/madam. It will make them feel bad for being such *******s to you. I've worked part time in retail for 4 years now, so I guarantee this will work in 90% of cases. Even if they don't apolgise, it tends to make them feel sheepish.

As for the sexist customers, I suggest a response something along the lines of, 'I can assure you that despite my gender I am completely knowledgeable about the product in question. If however, you prefer the same assistance to be given to you in a male voice, I'll seek out a colleague for you right now'.

I almost wish I worked somewhere where sexist arses were commonplace, just so I could use that myself.

And don't let customers wreck your confidence. Remember 99.5% of them are complete retards just looking for some poor sod to vent the frustrations of the meaningless life upon.
    So what if someone wants to ask a man!
    Its a fact that in general men do understand technical things better and explain them in a logical way compared to women.
    This is why, people in general want to speak to a man.
    You will learn as you mature more.

Get over yourself you stupid woman crying sexism...go burn your bra and your tampon in protest.

ReputationRep:
    I'm really sick of this. I work in retail in an outdoor shop. I'm 21, female and and Uni student, working 9-5 at the weekends. More often then not I am on the recieving end of sexist comments aimed at me ("Sorry love/darlin', I'd rather speak to a man" is the most common one), but I had one rather vile customer really upset me today. A woman and her daughter marched up to our desk where I was doing some paper work. She shoved a product in front my face and asked how it worked (no 'excuse me'). I took it from her, paused to think for a second, when she snatched it back and said...I quote..."I bloody well knew it. You don't know. Useless girl. But what would I expect from asking a 2 year old". She then stormed off. I was speechless...I didn't say a word to this women, yet she insulted me by calling me a 2 year old and useless?

Dealing with these type of vile people is really knocking my confidence, which I have very little of anyway (due to being bullied relentlessly for 7 years throughout school and college). Should I continue to ignore customers that personally insult me? part of me wants to turn around and insult them, but I think that might not go down too well if they said that to my manager.
    Its a fact that in general men do understand technical things better and explain them in a logical way compared to women.

Get over yourself you stupid woman crying sexism...go burn your bra...
    And yes women are more ruder than men. They all have a complex.

ReputationRep:
    You just have to remember that some people really don't matter. There could be a really terrible pile up on the M6 while you're in the pub having a great time, and they could be in it. Or maybe fifty feet away from it if they aren't wearing a seatbelt.

Some people just don't know how to be a good customer; how not to be indignant; how not to be impatient; how to be polite; how to ensure that you don't spend three sodding minutes rooting around in their purse counting coppers to pay for a bloody coffee, with a grumpy queue behind them, before they eventually give you a fiver anyway.

It's just a bloody shame that the notion of customer service means that a lot of people who should be refused service aren't.

ReputationRep:
    i tell them to calm down and tell them there is no need to shout. If they carry on i will tell them i refuse to serve them and call the manager to serve them. That way they'll get pissed off and will have to wait longer to get served, hehe. Also if they are out of order then the manager had the authority to kick them out of the shop too

Is calling someone a useless 2 year old that hurtful? Maybe you girlies are just too sensitive...

Why don't you quit your job OP? Because you need the money right? Then you have to take the good with the bad, it's not a perfect world, there is such a thing as anger.
    Maybe you GUYS are not sensitive enough. Most men do not know what it is like to have sexist comments directed towards them. I know exactly as much as my male colleagues, so to be completely disregarded purely because of my gender IS insulting. Put yourself in those shoes and think about it...would you like to be told that you are useless, not good enough, can't possibly be knowledgeable enough, etc., just because you are a man? probably not. It isn't nice.

I like my job. Most people, believe it or not, are nice. It is the minority that truly are not pleasant individuals, but unfortunately those incidences do stick with you and knock your confidence...being called useless and having your intelligence compared to that of 2 year old isn't exactly confidence boosting when you have very little of that to begin with.

ReputationRep:
    Maybe you GUYS are not sensitive enough. Most men do not know what it is like to have sexist comments directed towards them. I know exactly as much as my male colleagues, so to be completely disregarded purely because of my gender IS insulting. Put yourself in those shoes and think about it...would you like to be told that you are useless, not good enough, can't possibly be knowledgeable enough, etc., just because you are a man? probably not. It isn't nice.

I like my job. Most people, believe it or not, are nice. It is the minority that truly are not pleasant individuals, but unfortunately those incidences do stick with you and knock your confidence...being called useless and having your intelligence compared to that of 2 year old isn't exactly confidence boosting when you have very little of that to begin with.
    :hugs:

(Original post by sksks1201)

Go away little boy.

ReputationRep:

Get over yourself you stupid woman crying sexism...go burn your bra and your tampon in protest.
    God you sound like an intelligent, mature person :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lattywatty)
    I just became more and more sweet and courteous the angrier they got. Sometimes resorting to patronising.

One hilarious one was this guy came in to buy something, couldn't find it, asked me, I said we didn't stock it.

"My wife came here yesterday and there was definitely stock here."
    "I can assure you sir we have not stocked that product for at least a few months now."
    "Are you calling my wife a liar?!?"
    "No, sir, perhaps she simply got confused at the product or perhaps you misunderstood her?"
    etc.

He stormed off at one point after me saying "it's easy to mistake shop names or products, I'm sure this is just a silly misunderstanding". My manager gave me a disapproving look, but he's a bit of a legend and just ignored it. The brilliant thing was the same guy came back an hour later apologising because he got the wrong shop afterall XD Have to admit, as much of a **** he was, it took a hell of a lot of balls to come back and say that.
    OMG! You don't know how often I get that. In fact I got it twice today!

"you got that milk..3ltr one for £1."

"sure your thinking of the right one mate? Our 4 pinters are £1, that's 2.27ltrs. The ones which are a bit over 3ltrs are £2.25..we've never had those at £1." (oh and before you ask, yes that's right 4 pints is £1, 6 is £2.25, go figure...)

"nah it was 3ltrs"

"...when did you buy it? was it recently?" (I knew either way they were wrong, if they say it was a while back I just pretend their right and the offer ended, makes em feel happy.)

"just a few weeks back"

"hmm..you sure it was from here? We haven't had the big 3ltrs at £1..ever."

(I'm half polite half not, I'll speak politely. If I can make them feel right I will, it's easier then way. But if their telling me something which is totally wrong and being a bit arsey, I'll just tell them straight to their face they must have it wrong. I can't be doing that badly, I'm the only one whose ever had a customer find out our number and ring us up to say how nice and helpful I was!)

other is...

"have you got any more X?"

"sorry we don't stock that, sure you didn't get it from Sainsburys(it's right near us)"

"no it was here, I got it last week!"

"...oooh those, yeah sorry mate, we stopped doing them." (total lie, makes em feel happy.)

one problem is we're a medium sized store, bigger branches of our stores stock more things, like more toiletries, pet food(we dont). People think no matter the shop size we all stock everything.

:eek3: I'm not a man!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1
    Well then it is a little worrying if you cannot see why someone might be offended by being disregarded for being female.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MrsShifty)
    Be intolerably sweet, pleasant and polite to them (if they give you the chance, of course). Address them as sir/madam. It will make them feel bad for being such *******s to you. I've worked part time in retail for 4 years now, so I guarantee this will work in 90% of cases. Even if they don't apolgise, it tends to make them feel sheepish.

As for the sexist customers, I suggest a response something along the lines of, 'I can assure you that despite my gender I am completely knowledgeable about the product in question. If however, you prefer the same assistance to be given to you in a male voice, I'll seek out a colleague for you right now'.

I almost wish I worked somewhere where sexist arses were commonplace, just so I could use that myself.

And don't let customers wreck your confidence. Remember 99.5% of them are complete retards just looking for some poor sod to vent the frustrations of the meaningless life upon.

this is exactly my technique too! as soon as someone starts being rude to me, i become ridiculously sweet and polite... another favourite trick of mine is to complete the transaction INCREDIBLY slowly... rude customers are often impatient, it amuses me to serve them as slowly as possible and making them aware that there's nothing they can do but wait

OP you really need to stand up for yourself. if you want to survive the soul-destroying world of retail, you need to learn to just take it with a pinch of salt. the general public are dicks. you are a decent person. if they are gonna be stupid enough to not take your advice because of your gender, then let them waste their time waiting for a man... and just smile sweetly at them and make them feel even more stupid than they already are.

and if they are offensively rude.. remember, you dont have to accept that behaviour. as long as you dont swear at the customers, you have the right to refuse to serve them as much as they have the right to discriminate against you... next time someone says something horrible about not wanting you to serve them, tell them that you are HAPPY not to serve THEM!
    as long as you dont outwardly say something offensive, you have every right to refuse to serve them if they treat you horribly.

its only a job OP, retail is the worstttt. just remember to not let it get to you.. people can be horrid when they are out shopping. just ignore them and leave them to their sad little lives.

ReputationRep:
    It sounds ridiculous, but when it comes to the point when a customer is being abusive there really is nothing you can do- they're basically just acting like a prick and taking it out on you for no apparent reason. Just talk in a low, calm voice, make it sound like you're listening and almost put up a barrier againt thier horrendous whingey voices and blind insults. I like to visualise stapling things to thier head whilst doing this

ReputationRep:

'More ruder' :teehee:

ReputationRep:
    I'm a barista at Starbucks and I have to deal with rude/angry/impatient customers every time I work a shift. It's crazy how some people seem to think that a good coffee can be made in less than ten seconds, especially when there are at least six people in front of them in line.

The way I deal with it is by being extra extra polite. I know it sounds weird, but the ruder they are, the politer you should be back, but OVERLY so - usually it makes them realise how ridiculous they're being.

If that doesn't work then spitting in their coffee can be nice payback.... kidding.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HDS)
    Ignore them

I worked in telemarketing for a few days (I stopped because I couldn't sleep at night and the script would repeat itself in my head continuously [I still know it to this day])
    I thought I was the only one that happened to! I used to wake myself up in the middle of the night reciting the sodding script.

It was then I knew I had to leave.

ReputationRep:
    thing is a lot of these people will moan about customers being arsey or awkward to them when their working....or where I work....a number of customers haven't had a hard days work in their life..(benefits).

Well then it is a little worrying if you cannot see why someone might be offended by being disregarded for being female.
    I wouldn't care...it's up to them who they want to see...their loss when they end up with someone who doesn't know what they're talking about :yep:

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 18, 2018
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.