Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I would say it was sex rather than masturbation - because from ones perspective one is still feeling the touch of someone else which they can't control. Not very philosophical mind.

For the second I would say suicide because you know full well if you kill your previous/ future self you will no longer exist at that time.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by there's too much love)
    If you could go back in time by say, 5 hours. Forget time space continuum. Forget real science saying you can't go back through time.
    Forget paradoxes...

If you got a hand-job from yourself, would that count as masturbation?

Now imagine if it was a pre-puberty you, and you got a hand-job, is that still masturbation?

If you were to kill a past you would that be murder or suicide (obviously you couldn't be held accountable as you'd stop existing).
    Having done this I can confirm I am pregnant. I am in my 40th hour of labour and I need an epidural. Someone get me an epidural.

ReputationRep:
    So the question arises, if you had a shared consciousness with them, would that count as masturbation?
    A shared consciousness? My head hurts. We are really getting deep here. But yes, it would count as masturbation because you are knowingly pleasuring yourself, and technically (somehow) you and your past self are the same entity therefore it would be performing an act to pleasure yourself.

But if you shared a consciousness how the hell are independent movements and actions possible?

ReputationRep:
    Erm...even after you're dead?

T-aged 5
    memories a, b, c
    T-aged 10
    memories b, c, d
    T-aged 15
    memories c, d, e
    T-aged 20 memories
    memories d, e, f

Is T the same person at the age of 5 and 20.
    T aged 5 doesn't have the same memories of T aged 20 or vice versa.
    Aaah, the old "Existence precedes essence" chestnut....:love:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Naffy)
    I am who I am, and will remain that way forever.
    No, people change and their personalities change. Therefore they are being perceived as new people compared to past judgements. I think you are referring more to identity within society in which case you do remain yourself - 'yourself' meaning information unique to you; DNA etc.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gingergooner)
    A shared consciousness? My head hurts. We are really getting deep here. But yes, it would count as masturbation because you are knowingly pleasuring yourself, and technically (somehow) you and your past self are the same entity therefore it would be performing an act to pleasure yourself.

But if you shared a consciousness how the hell are independent movements and actions possible?
    Well it depends, if the minds are linked, there is just one mind, so on so forth.
    Furthermore, who said anything about being independent:p: .

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bex285)
    Aaah, the old "Existence precedes essence" chestnut....:love:
    Briefly went through it last year, cant remember much on it

ReputationRep:
    Well it depends, if the minds are linked, there is just one mind, so on so forth.
    Furthermore, who said anything about being independent:p: .
    Well then there's no question, you are physically one and mentally one, of course its masturbation. Unless you sort of mean, every time one moves the other makes the exact same movement.

ReputationRep:
    If you could go back in time by say, 5 hours. Forget time space continuum. Forget real science saying you can't go back through time.
    Forget paradoxes...

If you got a hand-job from yourself, would that count as masturbation?

Now imagine if it was a pre-puberty you, and you got a hand-job, is that still masturbation?

If you were to kill a past you would that be murder or suicide (obviously you couldn't be held accountable as you'd stop existing).
    I'm sure Richard Herring did a stand up about this...

ReputationRep:
    Well then there's no question, you are physically one and mentally one, of course its masturbation. Unless you sort of mean, every time one moves the other makes the exact same movement.
    Two seperate bodies, one mind.

ReputationRep:
    Two seperate bodies, one mind.
    So, for example every move one body makes with his right hand will be exactly the same for the other body?
    Edit: plus, if they are the same person from different periods of time, how can the mind of a pre teen and the mind of a 20 year old fuse when clearly they have both had different experiences?

ReputationRep:
    So, for example every move one body makes with his right hand will be exactly the same for the other body?
    Not necessarily.
    It'd just be like, having two sets of sights. I guess this is where it gets really tricky, but for the sake of argument:
    a)no
    b)yes

ReputationRep:
    Btw, this is a weirdddd thread :p:

ReputationRep:
    Not necessarily.
    It'd just be like, having two sets of sights. I guess this is where it gets really tricky, but for the sake of argument:
    a)no
    b)yes
    Also, look at the edit to my last post. But what you are saying is we can only speculate?

ReputationRep:
    Also, look at the edit to my last post. But what you are saying is we can only speculate?
    I thought it was obvious that all of this i speculation. But I purposfully gave two scenarioes so that both can be taken into account.
    Like I said in my opening post, I'm not interested in the science behind it but the concepts.

ReputationRep:
    I thought it was obvious that all of this i speculation. But I purposfully gave two scenarioes so that both can be taken into account.
    Like I said in my opening post, I'm not interested in the science behind it but the concepts.
    I know its speculation, I was just asking if thats what you meant by giving yes or no options.
    Also what's scientific in what we've said? I've been trying to think philosophically here, its just its difficult to imagine a shared consciousness between people who potentially have completely different outlooks on life. If the consciousness was shared I'd imagine it would drive them insane. But anyway, if you count that as too scientific for this debate then you've already seen my opinions on the initial questions you asked.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Natasha_c)
    I would say it was sex rather than masturbation - because from ones perspective one is still feeling the touch of someone else which they can't control. Not very philosophical mind.

For the second I would say suicide because you know full well if you kill your previous/ future self you will no longer exist at that time.
    This! I agree with this.

ReputationRep:
    If an older me came back in time, they would talk, look and act different to the present me. We're the same person and we're different. If that older person cut themselves, I wouldn't bleed. And if the started fingering me, my fingers wouldn't be getting wet. It's not masturbation, it's sex with your future or past self. And it's a very very strange thought.

Why would I let some woman finger me when I could easily masturbate? Why would I want to finger another female? I'm not a lesbian, even if the person is me. :lolwut:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EskimoJo)
    If an older me came back in time, they would talk, look and act different to the present me. We're the same person and we're different. If that older person cut themselves, I wouldn't bleed. And if the started fingering me, my fingers wouldn't be getting wet. It's not masturbation, it's sex with your future or past self. And it's a very very strange thought.

Why would I let some woman finger me when I could easily masturbate? Why would I want to finger another female? I'm not a lesbian, even if the person is me. :lolwut:
    There could be all sorts of reasons. I never seize to be amazed by the way we categorise our sexuality. If we were to finger or be fingered by another female or male (gender respective) it is interesting that we say that it is homo, hetre, or bi sexual.
    But we don't do the same for other things?
    Shape of body?
    Height?
    Hair colour?
    Skin colour?
    Eye colour?

Anyway, that's perhaps another thread to make. What about the reason that they'd know what you'd like, and you could be thinking of someone or something else as it happens. They wouldn't necessarily seek gratification back. They may get it back automatically by the experience being added.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EskimoJo)
    lol you're completely missing the point. Its a theoretical thing, not a discussion on our sexual preferences/habits if you want to discuss that theres loads of other threads :o:.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 25, 2010
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.