(Original post by Atomic Tundra)
    try it like this play them both together

the ginger guy bafta nominated version

This is LEGENDARY!
    YOU ARE DEFO GETTING SOME REP !!!
    :thumbsup:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Phalanges)
    I also love how he constantly refers to ginger as a racial slur.
    'Race' is primarily a social concept, not a scientific one; 'racial abuse' is motivated predominantly by ignorance, bigotry and reactionary xenophobia rather than by any legitimate ideology. As such, most instances of 'ginger' as a derogatory term are no less 'racist' than the overwhelming majority of cases where words such as 'paki', 'chink', 'spic' and 'n***er' are bandied about in order to reinforce stigma and promote alienation: they all seek to ostracise an individual or group of individuals on the basis of nothing more than a common phenotype.

I've been sworn-at, spat-on and physically assaulted by perfect strangers because of my complexion. Don't trivialise what you lack the sensitivity to comprehend.

ReputationRep:
    0.35 scared the crap out of me.. jumped out of my chair

Edit: I'm talking about the original gingers have souls video

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Profesh)
    'Race' is primarily a social concept, not a scientific one; 'racial abuse' is motivated predominantly by ignorance, bigotry and reactionary xenophobia rather than by any legitimate ideology. As such, most instances of 'ginger' as a derogatory term are no less 'racist' than the overwhelming majority of cases where words such as 'paki', 'chink', 'spic' and 'n***er' are bandied about in order to reinforce stigma and promote alienation: they all seek to ostracise an individual or group of individuals on the basis of nothing more than a common phenotype.

I've been sworn-at, spat-on and physically assaulted by perfect strangers because of my complexion. Don't trivialise what you lack the sensitivity to comprehend.

Race is entirely a scientific concept having ginger hair isn't. Although I can understand that it must get really tiring and annoing being abused because of the colour of your hair. People I know died it because it was so bad.

ReputationRep:

No it's not. Words such as chinks are slurs; words like chinese, pakistani, black are descriptive.

Ginger falls into the latter category.

ReputationRep:
    I lol'd so hard at Atomic's post.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Guy Secretan)
    Race is entirely a scientific concept having ginger hair isn't. Although I can understand that it must get really tiring and annoing being abused because of the colour of your hair. People I know died it because it was so bad.
    The sole reason 'black' people throughout Western society tend to identify with one another in a way that transcends creed, nationality or ideological persuasion is because systematic, frequently state-sponsored persecution, segregation and vilification on the basis of what are essentially cosmetic factors has galvanised these otherwise disparate swathes of civilisation into a state of (artificial) cohesion. 'Black culture' is predicated foremost on shared adversity, not shared ancestry, although it has since come into its own.

This notion of 'common plight' has unified certain phenotypes to the extent of evoking a sense of cultural identity where none would otherwise exist, but that is hardly the sine qua non of the racial concept. Really, the only difference between 'blacks' and 'gingers' (insofar as 'black' may refer to either Barack Obama or Beyoncé Knowles) is that we haven't yet been persecuted enough.

ReputationRep:
    No it's not. Words such as chinks are slurs; words like chinese, pakistani, black are descriptive.

Ginger falls into the latter category.
    So when a chav yells 'ginguhhhhhhhh' from the opposite side of a busy street, they're merely describing me? And when I'm denigrated as a 'ginger *******', the former adjective is simply for clarification? Well, gosh, that's a relief.

ReputationRep:
    So when a chav yells 'ginguhhhhhhhh' from the opposite side of a busy street, they're merely describing me? And when I'm denigrated as a 'ginger *******', the former adjective is simply for clarification? Well, gosh, that's a relief.
    No, they were slurs. The way he was saying it, which was my initial point before you started personalising it all towards yourself, was not.

ReputationRep:
    lmao sorry but when you put it like that, it sounds quite funny.

Describe them back, Im sure there are worse things about them if they're wasting times shouting at strangers.

ReputationRep:
    No, they were slurs. The way he was saying it, which was my initial point before you started personalising it all towards yourself, was not.
    My point is that 'ginger' (unlike, say, 'redhead') has both derogatory and descriptive connotations. However, if I misconstrued your original comment, I apologise.

ReputationRep:
    **** really, I had no idea gingers abuse went beyond light banter. What you have experienced is worse than anything I have experienced as a black male - due obviously to the marginalisation of racists, the Third Reich, successive anti-racist government policies .etc.

You're correct about ginger being the same as being black, it is simply a phenotypal feature over which you have no control and abusing somebody in such a way is equally as despicable as shouting racial slurs.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Atomic Tundra)
    try it like this play them both together

the ginger guy bafta nominated version

Oh so dramatic :daydreaming:

Gosh, this kid scared the hell out of me :cry2:

ReputationRep:
    The sole reason 'black' people throughout Western society tend to identify with one another in a way that transcends creed, nationality or ideological persuasion is because systematic, frequently state-sponsored persecution, segregation and vilification on the basis of what are essentially cosmetic factors has galvanised these otherwise disparate swathes of civilisation into a state of (artificial) cohesion. 'Black culture' is predicated foremost on shared adversity, not shared ancestry, although it has since come into its own.

This notion of 'common plight' has unified certain phenotypes to the extent of evoking a sense of cultural identity where none would otherwise exist, but that is hardly the sine qua non of the racial concept. Really, the only difference between 'blacks' and 'gingers' (insofar as 'black' may refer to either Barack Obama or Beyoncé Knowles) is that we haven't yet been persecuted enough.
    race is still a scientific concept based on evolution and goes much deeper than hair colour. A better comparison would be cauasian blondes being seen as dumb or as somone like stephen merchant being harassed for being really tall.

In modern-day UK, the words "ginger" or "ginga" are sometimes derogatorily used to describe red-headed people, with terms such as "gingerphobia" (fear of redheads)[50] or "gingerism" (prejudice against redheads) [51] used by the media. Some have speculated that the dislike of red-hair may derive from the historical English sentiment that people of Irish or Celtic background, with a greater prevalence of red hair, were ethnically inferior.[51] Redheads are also sometimes referred to disparagingly as "carrot tops" and "carrot heads". "Gingerism" has been compared to racism, although this is widely disputed, and bodies such as the UK Commission for Racial Equality do not monitor cases of discrimination and hate crimes against redheads.[51] A UK woman recently won an award from a tribunal after being sexually harassed and receiving abuse because of her red hair;[52] a family in Newcastle upon Tyne, England, was forced to move twice after being targeted for abuse and hate crime on account of their red hair;[53] and in 2003, a 20 year old was stabbed in the back for "being ginger."[54] In May 2009, a British schoolboy committed suicide after being bullied for having red hair.[55] The British singer Mick Hucknall, who believes that he has repeatedly faced prejudice or been described as ugly on account of his hair colour, argues that Gingerism should be described as a form of racism.[56][57] This prejudice has been satirised on a number of TV shows. The British comedian Catherine Tate (herself a redhead) appeared as a red haired character in a running sketch of her series The Catherine Tate Show. The sketch saw fictional character Sandra Kemp, who was forced to seek solace in a refuge for ginger people because they had been ostracised from society.[58] The British comedy Bo' Selecta! (starring redhead Leigh Francis) featured a spoof documentary which involved a caricature of Mick Hucknall presenting a show in which celebrities (played by themselves) dyed their hair red for a day and went about daily life being insulted by people. The pejorative use of the word "ginger" and related discrimination was used to illustrate a point about racism and prejudice in the "Ginger Kids", "Le Petit Tourette" and "Fatbeard" episodes of South Park.

Films and television programmes often portray school bullies as having red hair;[59] for example, Scut Farkus from A Christmas Story or the O'Doyle family in the movie Billy Madison. The bully character Caruso in Everybody Hates Chris is a redhead. However, children with red hair are often themselves targeted by bullies; "Somebody with ginger hair will stand out from the crowd," says anti-bullying expert Louise Burfitt-Dons.[60]

In November 2008 social networking website Facebook received criticism after a 'Kick a Ginger' group, which aimed to establish a "National Kick a Ginger Day" on November 20, acquired almost 5,000 members. A 14-year-old boy from Vancouver who ran the Facebook group was subjected to an investigation by the Royal Canadian Mounted Police for possible hate crimes.[61]

In December 2009 British supermarket chain Tesco was forced to withdraw a Christmas card which had the image of a child with ginger hair sitting on the lap of Santa Claus, and the words: "Santa loves all kids. Even ginger ones" after customers complained the card was too offensive

I agree with the comission for racial equality although i agree it must be quite **** being ginger in modern society.

ReputationRep:
    I <3 RayWilliamJohnson

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.