Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Is there anyone else who hasn't made any friends yet? Watch

Hey, not sure if this was supposed to go in H&R or Student Life but, I just put it here (also please don't de-anon as I know people who use TSR)

I go to a good Uni, doing a course I enjoy (although not that many contact hours), I do activities I like and I go out as much as I can yet, I've not made any friends yet and the loneliness is really starting to get to me. I feel really sad just randomly when I'm by myself and I'm starting to think that there must be something wrong with me because I have no mates.

With the course I'm doing people just tend to go home or do something else after lectures, I've asked people I know if they wanna hang out (Get a coffee or something) but, they always make excuses. I've joined quite a few societies but, I havn't made any friends there and no one there seems to be a fresher (not that there's anything wrong with that). In my halls we have a bar and I try to go down as much as possible but, not that many people go often (only like 20 people go down per night) and they all go in groups so it's difficult to approach them and when I do, it feels awkward like they don't want me there.
    Also my flatmates have made other friends and wherever they go or whatever they do they tend not to bother inviting me, even if I let them know I'm lonely and I want to go out they don't care, they only time I ever really go out clubbing or anywhere is when it's someones birthday and everyone is invited because no one ever invites me out. I've asked people if they're doing anything and I've tried organising stuff but, it never works.

Next week is refreshers week at my Uni so I'm going to go out with people from my halls everyday (except there's one day where my mates from home are coming over so I can't then) but, I'm afraid that after refreshers then I'll still have no mates . How do I make this week count and use it as an opportunity to meet people and become closer with people I already know? Also I have no idea about what I'm doing next year about accomodation and it seems that everyone else already has a house or has paid a deposit or something. Finally, is anyone else in this situation and do you have any advice as I'm having a **** time?

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    this sounds rubbish. You seem to be doing all the right things, could you actualy be coming on too strong though?

I don't really know what refreshers week is but if you're out loads it sounds like a good time to meet new people. Try joining a new club or changing one that you go to so you're meeting a new group? Maybe make cup cakes and share them with your flatmates, see if they want to make them too? If you're a guy this might make you look a big gay though lol.

Sorry if my suggestions are just rubbish

ReputationRep:
    be honest! tell people your having a hard time maybe they feel the same and you can help each other out!

ReputationRep:
    Treat re-freshers as another freshers week and simply go up to random people and introduce yourself and get talking. Also sign up to every societies mailing list so you know whats happening and go along to whatever socials etc they have.

Only advice i can give is just get out of your room as much as possible, meet new people and stay in touch with them.

ReputationRep:
    Hang in there bud. Your time will come.

ReputationRep:
    Chin up. Enjoy re-freshers week go out and do something different, well that is my advice.

But seriously, there are people out there like you at uni, the quiet types who want to make friends but are too shy too. What you should go and do is find them and talk to them. Be adventurous and do something different. Especially during refreshers week, that is defiantly the time to try something different.

Feel free to PM me what uni you are at? Might be able to help out more if it is a uni I am familiar with.

I was in a situation like this at 6th form. Life has it's high points and low points. It will be at a high point soon enough.

ReputationRep:
    Are you at Sheffield Uni by any chance?

(Original post by bloodlust)
    Chin up. Enjoy re-freshers week go out and do something different, well that is my advice.

But seriously, there are people out there like you at uni, the quiet types who want to make friends but are too shy too. What you should go and do is find them and talk to them. Be adventurous and do something different. Especially during refreshers week, that is defiantly the time to try something different.

Feel free to PM me what uni you are at? Might be able to help out more if it is a uni I am familiar with.

I was in a situation like this at 6th form. Life has it's high points and low points. It will be at a high point soon enough.
    Tbh I was having the time of my life up until Early November, then I realised I hadn't made any friends and I'd also ran out of money (didn't get student loan until recently) meaning I couldn't go out as often. Since then it's been a downhill spiral of emotions, things are looking up a bit but, I still have no mates

(Original post by mazza558)
    Are you at Sheffield Uni by any chance?
    No I'm not, tbh I'd rather not say what uni I'm at because there's people in my year on TSR

ReputationRep:
    When you meet people for the first time, make this face ===> :sexface:
    You'll definately make friends that way.

(Original post by LawIsBraw)
    Hang in there bud. Your time will come.
    Easy enough saying that but, why hasn't my time come already

I know you said you didn't want to say but are you at uni of Kent/Greenwich/Christ Church at Medway?

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 24, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.