Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

For what reason do universities vary their offers made to applicants? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I've noticed quite a lot of variation in the offers Warwick are making to students.

I've seen offers as low as ABB and as high as AAA+ C (as) (for the same course)

Does anyone know why they vary their offers?

ReputationRep:
    The individual - personal statements, in particular, can reveal a lot about a person, and can influence offers.

ReputationRep:
    They may just be getting really bored - and see how many combinations of offers they can do. thats what i'd do. Tbh, if people are getting AAA for this course, the people who are getting ABB offers will probably end up with AAA anyway.

ReputationRep:
    Lower grades may influence an applicant to accept an offer because it's easier, higher grades could be used to make a course seem more academically rigorous.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Indeed.)
    Lower grades may influence an applicant to accept an offer because it's easier, higher grades could be used to make a course seem more academically rigorous.
    Well yes but it still does not make sense as to why they would offer somebody a significantly easier route into the university.

Do you think they're taking into account peoples' social deprevation?

ReputationRep:
    I think it is similar to the legendary cambridge offer of EE
    if they want you, they will give you a lower offer, but if you meet all requirements and they have no reason to refuse you, but don't really want to, they may give a higher offer

ReputationRep:
    I think if they really like you you get a lower offer.

ReputationRep:
    Well if the typical offer for a particular course at university is AAB and there are 2 applicants will different offers , lets say ABB and AAA that is why because:

1.Person 1 is more suitable for the course and made a significant impression on the admission officer ,so the uni make it easier for him to enter by lowering the typical offer.
    2.On the other hand Person 2 could not persuade to the extent needed for a typical offer so the requirements were raised to AAA. If the student succeed in acquiring the amount of knowledge needed and completing the given offer he will prove he is suitable enough for the course.

...because not everyone is equal. They may ask higher offers of those they feel need to prove themselves further or give easier offers to those they really want to come to that university.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EierVonSatan)
    ...because not everyone is equal. They may ask higher offers of those they feel need to prove themselves further or give easier offers to those they really want to come to that university.
    Hmm yes.
    The typical offer as listed in the prospectus and online is
    AAA + C(as)
    I was confounded when I saw numerous offers of ABB for the couse, Warwick is a top university afterall.
    I was thinking maybe they were being lenient because of a persons' underpriviliged background perhaps, or maybe because their educational establishment was not on par with others....
    Or maybe it is solely down to the personal statement.

Just some thoughts...

(Original post by Jakko247)
    I was thinking maybe they were being lenient because of a persons' underpriviliged background perhaps, or maybe because their educational establishment was not on par with others...
    Although not impossible, I really doubt that.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    Or, conversely, give higher offers to someone they really want.

People usually pick their firm and insurance in grade order, so if a uni makes a high offer they are more likely to be the firm. Then if the applicant misses it, they might get the same as the standard offer, and the admissions tutor can choose to accept them anyway.

(Original post by Juno)

People usually pick their firm and insurance in grade order, so if a uni makes a high offer they are more likely to be the firm. Then if the applicant misses it, they might get the same as the standard offer, and the admissions tutor can choose to accept them anyway.
    True, it can be a bit of a mixed picture! In a subject such as law, offers would most likely all be AAA and so giving someone ABB who can get AAA is going to put them at a disadvantage with regards to putting the ABB dept. as firm.

ReputationRep:
    They want the extra money they get from International Students, so give them lower offers so they are guaranteed to get in.

If you weren't talking about Internationals, it's still relevant - they seem to be the most targetted when it comes to getting easy offers.

ReputationRep:
    Although not impossible, I really doubt that.
    Why so?
    I've seen somebody with an offer of BBB to study law at Newcastle; because they were from an underpriviliged background the grade requirements were reduced by a grade each from AAA to BBB

:rolleyes:

(Original post by riiight.)
    They want the extra money they get from International Students, so give them lower offers so they are guaranteed to get in.
    As far as I know, departments get as much money from international students as domestic ones - just the entire contribution comes from the international student (i.e. no funding from the UK government).

ReputationRep:
    They can't give you an offer more than what your predicted grades are.
    So if you had predicted grades of ABB, if the university really liked you, they can't give you an offer of AAB and hope that you get the grades, they'd have to give you and offer of ABB or lower, or no offer.
    At least, that was what I was told.

And for Warwick, my friend applied for psychology, and they said they'd give her an offer of ABB as she was doing biology and chemistry as well, which the university considered as "harder" A levels.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Juno)

I disagree, I don't think people prioritise their offers on the entry requirements at all. Imagine firming an AAA uni just because it's AAA and then HAVING to go there =\

For instance - L250 at Bath is AAA in comparison to AAB at the LSE.
    Now I doubt people are going to pick Bath over LSE for L250 because LSE is a world leader in the subject.

People pick based on where they want to go.

ReputationRep:
    It could also be the case of you having some of the grades from the previous year... At least in the case of Highers.

I got obtainable offers this year partly down to me having half the requirement grades (I'm sorry if I'm repeating something that's already been said, I didn't notice it being said).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jakko247)
    Why so?
    I've seen somebody with an offer of BBB to study law at Newcastle; because they were from an underpriviliged background the grade requirements were reduced by a grade each from AAA to BBB

:rolleyes:
    Did they do the partners scheme at Newcastle? That lowers your offer by one grade for each a level.

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.