Turn on thread page Beta

To lose fat or to gain muscle? watch

ReputationRep:
    Hey, I've been doing Starting Strength for a few weeks now, been eating healthy and doing a bit more cardio. My goals are to improve functional strength for sports such as Kickboxing and also to look and feel great (Quite muscular with definition in my biceps, legs, abs and chest) I'm getting a bit more defined but, I'm still a bit chubby so I was wondering if I should lose the layer of fat hiding my abs and then bulk up and gain muscle or should I bulk and become muscular before dieting and losing the fat.

Thoughts people? Cheers

ReputationRep:
    Are you doing kick boxing already or intending to do it?

If you're doing kickboxing a few times a week, over time you will reduce your bodyfat, especially with cardio and strength training on top. So it's just being patient really. Dirty bulking isn't a great idea with boxing, I'd just eat clean but try to eat a lot.

You might find as your squats get heavy 3 times a week is to much with kick boxing as well, but depends on the person and how commited they are.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 7777777)
    Are you doing kick boxing already or intending to do it?

If you're doing kickboxing a few times a week, over time you will reduce your bodyfat, especially with cardio and strength training on top. So it's just being patient really. Dirty bulking isn't a great idea with boxing, I'd just eat clean but try to eat a lot.

You might find as your squats get heavy 3 times a week is to much with kick boxing as well, but depends on the person and how commited they are.
    Been doing kickboxing for 4 years now and although I lost weight when I started I've never been able to get rid of the flab around my midsection hiding my abs

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by manwithaplan)
    Been doing kickboxing for 4 years now and although I lost weight when I started I've never been able to get rid of the flab around my midsection hiding my abs
    You need to push harder at what you're already doing, more cardio will just go against the strength training.

Clean up any problems in your diet and you should see progress.

ReputationRep:
    What are your current lifts, bodyweight and height?

Poll
Which accompaniment is best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.