Turn on thread page Beta
    • Thread Starter

    I applied for 2010 entry but am thinking about having a gap year. Just looking for advice (particularly from those who've done this before) on where to start and what the process is (is it just a simple e-mail? I'm worried about ucas, track, student finance and stuff. Does my offer change on track to start the year later, or do I forget about track completely and just deal with the uni in future.. and is my offer like 1000% guaranteed?). Thanks

    You will need to email all your choices ASAP so that they know what you intend to do. If you intend to cancel this year's application and reapply in 2010 for 2011 entry, you will need to cancel your present application on UCAS Track first.
    • PS Reviewer

    PS Reviewer
    Yes, universities could change your offer. For deferred entry you're competing against what they imagine the applicants will be like. Generally, the standard of applications gets higher each year, so they may expect you to be slightly better than the level of current applicants. Also, in some subjects they assume that you will forget things in your gap year (subjects like maths are notorious for this) so they will either want you to get some experience in the subject or may make you a higher offer to compensate the level you may forget.

    You would have to notify the university. It is just a simple e-mail, but try to make it formal. If you've got any plans for what you will be doing in your gap year then write about those. Even if they're not firm plans you should know whether you will want to be travelling, working, volunteering etc.

University open days

  1. University of Cambridge
    Christ's College Undergraduate
    Wed, 26 Sep '18
  2. Norwich University of the Arts
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Fri, 28 Sep '18
  3. Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 29 Sep '18
Which accompaniment is best?
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.