Turn on thread page Beta

How do you make an espresso with a caffetiere? watch

ReputationRep:
    I have freshly ground coffee and a caffetiere.

Is it as simple as lots of coffee, small amount of water?

Thanks for any advice

ReputationRep:
    You don't. You make it with an espresso machine.

According to some website I saw with awful jokes, an espresso doesn't have any milk or foam, so I think you're right.

Found it!

ReputationRep:
    Sadly you can't make proper espresso without a coffee machine, but yeah, closest you can get is just using lots of coffee with not too much water. And make sure you buy strong coffee - there's usually a scale of 1-5, with 5 being the strongest.

Also, use water that's just off the boil - if it's boiling it's supposed to spoil the flavour.

ReputationRep:
    Espresso machines force the hot water through with 12 atmospheres of pressure and brew the coffee in a very short amount of time. That's how you get strong coffee that isn't bitter, and it just can't be done in a caffetiere.

I prefer good caffetiere coffee to espressos though. You get a clearer flavour.

ReputationRep:
    Damn, I want coffee now. Off to make some...

...mmm I have now achieved coffee.

ReputationRep:
    You can't, basically.

http://www.poshportage.com/home-espr...aker-1-cup.jpg

These things are supposed to make something approaching an espresso, but I've heard that the coffee they produce is not great.

ReputationRep:
    You don't. However, if you have a cafetiere, I suggest you take a more relaxed approach, and get yourself some nice beans grind them fairly coarsely, and enjoy a nice brew without the fuss of making a fancy espresso-based concoction.

Brewed cafetiere coffee is much more exciting than espresso. It all depends on the coffee you get - And I suggest that you get some Cuban coffee. It's really rather tasty out of a cafetiere, and if you grind it a little finer, it's not so bad as an espresso shot. The only downside is that it's illegal in America, (So don't buy if you live in the US) and about as unethical as coffee gets. (What with your purchase supporting communism and all.) That said, it's never stopped me.

ReputationRep:
    You can't, to put it simply. Easiest way to get something close to espresso is to get a stovetop Moka pot - I have one and they are great, though I generally make americano with it as a short shot of it is not the same as you would get from a proper machine. Other than that, splash out on a Nespresso unit or a baby gaggia.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 24, 2010
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.