Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    i've been learning to drive in an automatic and i have my test on thursday. i have a few questions and i'd really appreciate any answers!!

1) at traffic lights is it ok to just cover the break and not put the car into neutral and not put the handbreak on?

2) when doing manoeuvres [particularly turn in the road] do i need to apply the hand break every time the car it stopped or again, is it ok to just cover the break and then switch it into reverse/drive when i need to.

3) i'm assuming i will not be asked to do a hill start as it is pointless.. am i right here?

also, any other tips or points i should be aware of before my test?!..

Thanks!!.

ReputationRep:
    1) Put the handbrake on if you expect a wait of more than a few seconds, and take your foot off the brake. The car can stay in D.

2) There's no need to apply the handbrake during manoeuvres, no, but it might be an idea if you're doing a turn in the road with dipped edges.

3) Well, they may ask you to pull over/start again on a hill, but yes, it's pointless. :p:

ReputationRep:
    erm, the hand brake is not necessary unless your parking that's why its sometimes called a parking brake? so no you generally don't need to apply it at traffic lights, although most instructors will advise you to if your going to be stopping for more than 5-10 seconds.

Doing manoeuvres you don't need to put the hand brake on, just make sure you do it in a reasonable amount of time and don't touch any curbs

i highly doubt you will be asked to do a hill start, i never was and i did a manual car test

P.S Dont Forget your Mirrors! especially in Manoeuvres etc and Good luck =]

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Elle.xo)
    i've been learning to drive in an automatic and i have my test on thursday. i have a few questions and i'd really appreciate any answers!!

1) at traffic lights is it ok to just cover the break and not put the car into neutral and not put the handbreak on?

2) when doing manoeuvres [particularly turn in the road] do i need to apply the hand break every time the car it stopped or again, is it ok to just cover the break and then switch it into reverse/drive when i need to.

3) i'm assuming i will not be asked to do a hill start as it is pointless.. am i right here?

Thanks!!.
    1. yep
    2. no handbrake required
    3. yep indeed. if you are, just do the same as always.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cpj1987)
    1) Put the handbrake on if you expect a wait of more than a few seconds, and take your foot off the brake. The car can stay in D.

2) There's no need to apply the handbrake during manoeuvres, no, but it might be an idea if you're doing a turn in the road with dipped edges.

3) Well, they may ask you to pull over/start again on a hill, but yes, it's pointless. :p:
    1. Wut? I'm not taking my test, but its a LOT more common to put the car into P at traffic then use the handbrake. Only reason to do it is in traffic jams when you cba to keep your foot on the pedal.

2. Wtf? The footbrake can't cope with dipped edges?

ReputationRep:

Thanks!!.
    1) Yeh
    2) You dont need to, that could get quite annoying lol!
    3) I was asked to do a hill-start in an automatic, you can still role backwards if the hill is steep enough.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by samba)
    1. Wut? I'm not taking my test, but its a LOT more common to put the car into P at traffic then use the handbrake. Only reason to do it is in traffic jams when you cba to keep your foot on the pedal.

2. Wtf? The footbrake can't cope with dipped edges?
    I was just telling the way I was taught. :yep:

ReputationRep:
    Put the car in park if you're waiting for more than a few seconds, otherwise you're just going to annoy the person behind you with your brake lights. It really pisses me off when people are waiting at things like level crossings with their foot on the brake.

(Original post by Elementric)
    Put the car in park if you're waiting for more than a few seconds, otherwise you're just going to annoy the person behind you with your brake lights. It really pisses me off when people are waiting at things like level crossings with their foot on the brake.

OMFG.
    NO

Do not:

1) Put the handbrake on unless you are parked
    2) Put it in park unless you are parked
    3) Use Neutral unless:
    a) you are being towed
    b) you are pushing the car
    c) youre one of those morons who does hypermilling

Do:

1) Keep it in drive
    2) Keep it in drive at traffic lights and just keep your foot on the brake
    3) Just use footbreak and switch between D & R during maneuvres (although this is personal choice really)

Jesus christ you people scare me. You should all be banned from driving automatics.

Experience: I lived & drove in canada, which is in north america, where they use predominately automatics.

ALSO FYI - Leaving it in D with handbrake on will completely **** your handbrake over time.

Seriously though you guys shouldn't be allowed near an automatic.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HDS)
    OMFG.
    NO

Do not:

1) Put the handbrake on unless you are parked
    2) Put it in park unless you are parked
    3) Use Neutral unless:
    a) you are being towed
    b) you are pushing the car
    c) youre one of those morons who does hypermilling

Do:

1) Keep it in drive
    2) Keep it in drive at traffic lights and just keep your foot on the brake
    3) Just use footbreak and switch between D & R during maneuvres (although this is personal choice really)

Jesus christ you people scare me. You should all be banned from driving automatics.

Experience: I lived & drove in canada, which is in north america, where they use predominately automatics.

ALSO FYI - Leaving it in D with handbrake on will completely **** your handbrake over time.

Seriously though you guys shouldn't be allowed near an automatic.
    Is this a joke? I'd rather not be dazzled while waiting for 5 minutes at a level crossing **** you very much.

oh, and the underlined bit made me LOL.

ReputationRep:
    thanks guys for all your help, but i just have a few more questions!

will they ask me to open the car bonnet?.. it's just i'm on crutches at the moment so this might be kinda tricky. if they do ask me can i just ask for a different show me/tell me question because i'm unable to open the bonnet..? or would they give me a minor? [seems a bit unfair if they would!]

also, probably a bit irrelevant.. but at the end of the test do they go through everything you did wrong first before telling you if you passed or not.. or do they say 'well done you've passed/sorry you've failed..' and then go through it?. sorry random question!!.

Is this a joke? I'd rather not be dazzled while waiting for 5 minutes at a level crossing **** you very much.

No it's not a joke.

Don't want to be 'dazzled' tough. Thats how automatics are driven. Go to America & Canada and see what happens you ass.

If you don't know **** don't open your mouth, the advice you gave is stupid and just based on your fickle tastes as opposed to reality.

Idiot.

Edit: I'm glad you lolled but scarily many brits have no clue how to drive an auto, I saw a cop try and drive a cadillac with one foot on the brake and one on the acellerator, I almost ******* cried.

thanks guys for all your help, but i just have a few more questions!

will they ask me to open the car bonnet?.. it's just i'm on crutches at the moment so this might be kinda tricky. if they do ask me can i just ask for a different show me/tell me question because i'm unable to open the bonnet..? or would they give me a minor? [seems a bit unfair if they would!]
    Ehm... Unsure on this one but I think you could be fine without opening it.

also, probably a bit irrelevant.. but at the end of the test do they go through everything you did wrong first before telling you if you passed or not.. or do they say 'well done you've passed/sorry you've failed..' and then go through it?. sorry random question!!.
    Discretion. I've known of examiners who have just said pass/fail and marking scheme and others who have gone through what they thought.

ReputationRep:
    I was always told to put the handbrake on at lights and stuff and even doing a turn in the road...seriously!! Maybe ask your instructor, he'll know best. Good luck!

(Original post by The Procrastinator)
    I was always told to put the handbrake on at lights and stuff and even doing a turn in the road...seriously!! Maybe ask your instructor, he'll know best. Good luck!

On a manual, yes.

On an automatic, no.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HDS)
    Totally irrelevant. In a driving test you do what you've been taught, if you don't, no matter how experienced you are, you won't pass it under the DSA criteria.

xxx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HDS)
    No it's not a joke.

Don't want to be 'dazzled' tough. Thats how automatics are driven. Go to America & Canada and see what happens you ass.

If you don't know **** don't open your mouth, the advice you gave is stupid and just based on your fickle tastes as opposed to reality.

Idiot.

Edit: I'm glad you lolled but scarily many brits have no clue how to drive an auto, I saw a cop try and drive a cadillac with one foot on the brake and one on the acellerator, I almost ******* cried.
    Wow. I don't know what the **** your problem is, but you sure are full of ****. I'm basing my argument on simple logic and consideration, yet you are basing yours on 'what people in America do'... hmm...

Besides, it's not just a silly personal preference; when driving at night having bright lights shining in your eyes for a long period of time is going to **** up your night vision and make it more difficult for you to see to the limits of your headlight illumination region.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HDS)
    On a manual, yes.

On an automatic, no.
    Good to know!

My Mum has driven automatics for years...I usually notice this kind of stuff...hmm. Maybe it's because I'm driving a manual....it messes with your head. :yep:

Wow. I don't know what the **** your problem is, but you sure are full of ****. I'm basing my argument on simple logic and consideration, yet you are basing yours on 'what people in America do'... hmm...

Besides, it's not just a silly personal preference; when driving at night having bright lights shining in your eyes for a long period of time is going to **** up your night vision and make it more difficult for you to see to the limits of your headlight illumination region.
    :rolleyes:

You are basing your argument on your own fickle tastes. I am basing my argument on accepted practice which is there for a ******* reason you dolt.

Want me to go into details as to WHY you proceed HOW I SAID with an AUTOMATIC?

(Original post by xXx_pUnK_pOp_pRiNcEsS_xXx)
    Totally irrelevant. In a driving test you do what you've been taught, if you don't, no matter how experienced you are, you won't pass it under the DSA criteria.

xxx

I have a license. I added that line because TSRians seem to think they know everything and especially in this case all they're doing is giving OP bad advice and advice which will lead to the total destruction of various parts of the car.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.