Turn on thread page Beta

automatic driving test. watch

ReputationRep:
    How are you managing to work the pedals on crutches, but can't manage to open the bonnet, which requires less leg work?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HDS)
    :rolleyes:

You are basing your argument on your own fickle tastes. I am basing my argument on accepted practice which is there for a ******* reason you dolt.

Want me to go into details as to WHY you proceed HOW I SAID with an AUTOMATIC?
    Yes.

(Original post by HDS)
    I have a license. I added that line because TSRians seem to think they know everything and especially in this case all they're doing is giving OP bad advice and advice which will lead to the total destruction of various parts of the car.
    LOL

(Original post by The Procrastinator)
    Good to know!

My Mum has driven automatics for years...I usually notice this kind of stuff...hmm. Maybe it's because I'm driving a manual....it messes with your head. :yep:
    :yep:

Because I usually drive auto I have a bad tendency of ignoring the handbrake in manual cars. My instructor used to go mental over that lol.

To everyone else:

Using a handbrake on an auto while the car is in drive = putting the handbrake on on a manual when you're in first gear and revving it to a very very low speed. It will eventually **** your handbrake up. Not something which is reccomended.

WRT why not put it in park - Park locks your transmission an prevents your wheels from spinning, by applying force (uphill/downhill [gravity]) you are putting huge strain on the transmission, so putting it in park at stop lights is a good way to destroy your ******.

But you know, lights, and the opinion of the schmuck behind you matter FAR MORE than your transmission.:rolleyes:

Hanbrake on auto is to be used when you are parking the car or when it is in neutral and you want it to stick, but at no other times. And you don't put it in neutral when at a light or in traffic.

(Original post by Elementric)
    Yes.

LOL

See above. And I said various parts because I CBA to explain what a parking pawl is to you or transmission linkage.:rolleyes:

Don't act like an arrogant ass when you have no idea what you're talking about.

Park is only meant to be engaged with the parking brake on. And it's called 'park' for a reason, that's what you use it for, not for short stays in traffic or at lights. IRL when you're level you could stick it into neutral.

But on a test you keep your foot on the brake and you don't use Park.

ReputationRep:
    Come to think of it I never see my Mum and Dad put the handbrake on ever, except when parking.

Dad's a mechanic so I doubt he would do anything to destroy parts of the car like HDS said.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HDS)
    I saw a cop try and drive a cadillac with one foot on the brake and one on the acellerator, I almost ******* cried.
    What has this got to do with driving automatics and the british being bad at it? Basically that cop was stupid?

I never understood why ppl took their tests in automatics, gears are quite easy to get the hang of really...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PJ991)
    How are you managing to work the pedals on crutches, but can't manage to open the bonnet, which requires less leg work?
    i don't need my left leg for driving an auto..

and i know it doesn't require any leg work, but it would require both hands and then i'd have to balance one one leg with my crutches in the air.. i tried it earlier when my dad was showing me and i nearly fell over.

i guess i could ask the examiner to help me..?

ReputationRep:
    Automatics is for PPPPPPPUUUUUUSSSSSSYYYYYYSSSSSS! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

IMO its better to learn in a manual. Me and my friend agreed that its better to learn in a Manual then in an Auto as:
    A) you'll know how to drive a Manual without having to learn later as it will always be there with you and when you get shoved a manual you can drive it staright away where as Autos are easier to grasp then Manuals
    B) Autos are for lazy drivers lol

Dont be hating on me its just my opinion lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Elle.xo)
    i don't need my left leg for driving an auto..

and i know it doesn't require any leg work, but it would require both hands and then i'd have to balance one one leg with my crutches in the air.. i tried it earlier when my dad was showing me and i nearly fell over.

i guess i could ask the examiner to help me..?
    I suppose you could, but (s)he'll more likely give you a different combination of questions to keep it simpler for you and him/her.

I don't think there's more than 4 possible combinations for opening the bonnet. It actually might only be 3 combos. I think.

(Original post by Hanvyj)
    What has this got to do with driving automatics and the british being bad at it? Basically that cop was stupid?

I never understood why ppl took their tests in automatics, gears are quite easy to get the hang of really...

I've yet to see a single brit properly operate an automatic. Police was a good example because they are trained in driving so they of all people should know better. (beyond just the basic level that most people learn)

(Original post by Psycho_Biatch)

IMO its better to learn in a manual. Me and my friend agreed that its better to learn in a Manual then in an Auto as:
    A) you'll know how to drive a Manual without having to learn later as it will always be there with you and when you get shoved a manual you can drive it staright away where as Autos are easier to grasp then Manuals

While I tend to agree with you on this one, keep in mind OP is on crutches.

ReputationRep:
    Automatics. Bleh. :puppyeyes:

(Original post by Elementric)
    Yes.

LOL

With all due respect - It's embarrassing that you're an engineer, at Cambridge no less, and don't understand the basics of how an automatic works.

Don't be so arrogant next time.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HDS)
    :yep:

Because I usually drive auto I have a bad tendency of ignoring the handbrake in manual cars. My instructor used to go mental over that lol.
    I'm a bit like that....mainly because it's a pain to put the clutch in then put it in gear then release the handbrake gah! hehe I do use it for long stops though, eg wrecks after breaking for so long

I'm going to see if my Dad wil let me drive the auto....give my left leg a damn break! :p:

I'm a bit like that....mainly because it's a pain to put the clutch in then put it in gear then release the handbrake gah! hehe I do use it for long stops though, eg wrecks after breaking for so long

I'm going to see if my Dad wil let me drive the auto....give my left leg a damn break! :p:

Hahahaha :P

Tbh I far prefer Manuals but since I learned to drive initially in Canada (relearned in britain with british rules :rolleyes: stupid differences lol) it just so happened that the first idk....4 or 5 cars i had access to were all automatics and whenever I go back I drive automatics since they're cheaper to insure (in canada) and just more common. Only 3 or so people I know in Canada (their parents included) own manuals so it's understandable.

Manuals are imo far superior though + they will guaranteed keep you awake at the wheel better.:p: (important when you do 5 hours of driving at night with small breaks...[tag team toronto---->NYC])

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HDS)
    Hahahaha :P

Tbh I far prefer Manuals but since I learned to drive initially in Canada (relearned in britain with british rules :rolleyes: stupid differences lol) it just so happened that the first idk....4 or 5 cars i had access to were all automatics and whenever I go back I drive automatics since they're cheaper to insure (in canada) and just more common. Only 3 or so people I know in Canada (their parents included) own manuals so it's understandable.

Manuals are imo far superior though + they will guaranteed keep you awake at the wheel better.:p: (important when you do 5 hours of driving at night with small breaks...[tag team toronto---->NYC])
    Yeah manuals are great....well I think so, I need to drive an auto! Will let you know how THAT escapade goes :p:

I don't know about the keeping you awake thing. I've knackered driving before now...sort of day dreamy and before I know it I've changed gears without realising it. I now never drive when I am that tired....consideration FTW :yep: haha

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Psycho_Biatch)

i do kinda agree with you, but driving a manual is not an option for me..
    my brother always tells me that driving an automatic is like driving a go-cart. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    i do kinda agree with you, but driving a manual is not an option for me..
    my brother always tells me that driving an automatic is like driving a go-cart. :rolleyes:
    Go-carts are fun so go with it! :yep: Even better get a classic mini auto.....oh fun times ahead for you!

ReputationRep:
    Go-carts are fun so go with it! :yep: Even better get a classic mini auto.....oh fun times ahead for you!
    i have a mini cooper actually.. :p:

Yeah manuals are great....well I think so, I need to drive an auto! Will let you know how THAT escapade goes :p:

I don't know about the keeping you awake thing. I've knackered driving before now...sort of day dreamy and before I know it I've changed gears without realising it. I now never drive when I am that tired....consideration FTW :yep: haha

:p:
    :eek:

Thats pretty bad, but imagine it on an automatic....esp with cruise control (horrid invention imo) much caffeine and country music radio was needed.

+ Dont forget the long straight nature of american highways.

ReputationRep:
    i have a mini cooper actually.. :p:
    Oh you ****! hahahaha well done you :yep: To me an auto Mini is the ultimate go-kart for roads!!
    I had one once....never got to drive :sigh:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HDS)
    :p:
    :eek:

Thats pretty bad, but imagine it on an automatic....esp with cruise control (horrid invention imo) much caffeine and country music radio was needed.

+ Dont forget the long straight nature of american highways.
    Does Country music keep you awake?! I love that about American roads! the straightness!!! Can see for miles....but miles of the same thing...zzzzzzzz :p:

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.