Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    i would be really interested in doing a lot of dissection and be well versed about anatomy.
    i've heard not all uni's take anatomy seriously but which do?

ReputationRep:
    um all of them take anatomy seriously i expect because it is an important part of medicine

however not all disect, and it is a dying breed as it is so expensive. the ones that still do (that i know of ) are cardiff (big time!) sheffield, nottingham, leeds (though i heard it is stopping) and a few others that i dont really know of!

some do prosection (where the cadavers are allready disected) like southampton.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by blonde-beth)
    some do prosection (where the cadavers are allready disected) like southampton.
    Prosection, is that not where an instructor dissects the cadaver infront of you and shows you the relevant bits...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Single Malt)
    Prosection, is that not where an instructor dissects the cadaver infront of you and shows you the relevant bits...
    My understanding of the definitions is iffy but...

Prosections are sold from here and other places to medical schools which do not do any dissection, by nature of producing a prosection there is no more dissection to do, so you would be incorrect.

I may however be quite wrong, that is however my understanding of the situation.

Learning from prosections however is so much quicker, easier, and more interesting than pissing around with dissection.

And to the OP...

Anatomy probably makes up 40-50% of the learning here.

ReputationRep:
    Not here. They bits are already cut and the demonstartor will go through it with us.

ReputationRep:
    Im 2nd year at Cardiff- we did whole body dissection in year 1, with 2 whole days of dissection a week, where you do ALL the dissection and then prosection for the head and neck for year 2, so overall very big on anatomy. All the anatomy exams are done by looking at specimens too.

ReputationRep:
    We had two terms of solid anatomy, but that's now changed, and the newbies are forced to stink of formaldehyde for a whole three years. Can poke, but not cut.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sarky)
    Not here. They bits are already cut and the demonstartor will go through it with us.
    Wikipedia agrees with my def http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prosection

More so, during GCSE history of medicine we learnt about padua university and prosection, where vesalius and others would dissect while others watched. Maybe your uni has *******ised the term?

ReputationRep:
    Wikipedia agrees with my def http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prosection

More so, during GCSE history of medicine we learnt about padua university and prosection, where vesalius and others would dissect while others watched. Maybe your uni has *******ised the term?
    Well as long as wiki and your GCSE's tell you you're right, who is a fourth year medical student to judge :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Come to Leeds. We get to take out the lungs next week :coma:

you'll love the anatomy/dissection so much you'll begin to develop necrophilia.

ReputationRep:
    BSMS do dissection for our anatomy teaching.

We have a unit of anatomy each term to cover each system.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sarky)
    Well as long as wiki and your GCSE's tell you you're right, who is a fourth year medical student to judge :rolleyes:
    I see where you get your name from:rolleyes:

Is it not entirely possible that I am right? To add to my body of evidence, one of the sheffield people who took us on our tour before interview also described prosection in the way I do. Maybe we ought to stick a poll on a thread and see who believes what.

ReputationRep:
    I see where you get your name from:rolleyes:

Is it not entirely possible that I am right? To add to my body of evidence, one of the sheffield people who took us on our tour before interview also described prosection in the way I do. Maybe we ought to stick a poll on a thread and see who believes what.
    um i think we should conclude from the various evidence that prosection has two meanings. the overall meaning be that the cadaver is dissected by someone other than the students, but whether this is done while they are watching, or beforehand, i suppose it dosnt matter!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by blonde-beth)
    um i think we should conclude from the various evidence that prosection has two meanings. the overall meaning be that the cadaver is dissected by someone other than the students, but whether this is done while they are watching, or beforehand, i suppose it dosnt matter!
    I would never settle for the wrong answer...

ReputationRep:
    I would never settle for the wrong answer...
    Then I don't see how you will cope at university level where lecturers will freely admit that vast chunks of stuff is still 'not well understood'.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wangers)
    Then I don't see how you will cope at university level where lecturers will freely admit that vast chunks of stuff is still 'not well understood'.
    Thats different, thats a lack of knowledge, which is what makes science interesting, we have the potential to find out new information.

ReputationRep:
    Thats different, thats a lack of knowledge, which is what makes science interesting, we have the potential to find out new information.
    :rolleyes:
    • PS Helper

PS Helper
    I guess you can only really ask about each university and then decide what is more or less anatomy

Bristol, we spend 3ish hrs in the DR per week. we look at pro sections (we don't watch the prosection, but they are pro-sections none the less) and although we have a full body, we also have lots of random bits too. which makes it easier really to see all the muscle attachments + the layering etc.

We spend half the session in small groups (<10 people) with an anatomy demonstrator, who runs through the list of objectives and shows us where everything is on the body. We don't go into nearly as much detail as other med schools, our teaching is more focused on what is clinically relevant. I'm not sure if we go back into more detail for later years, its just feels fairly basic compared to other medschools.

We then spend the other half with a camera led session (guy with a camera at the front and several screens - this is done in a big group). There is then more specific 'out of body' specimens that we can split off into groups to look at and confirm we know what we are looking at.

We have 'spot' tests each week on the anatomy looked at the previous week, which is really helpful in making sure we have learnt the stuff, and it is examined that way too.

I love our anatomy, wouldn't want to do more because otherwise it would be so focused on learning body parts we'd forget the learning how to be good doctors parts, and the other scientific basis of stuff.

ReputationRep:
    Cambridge is supposed to have a very anatomy intensive first year with dissection.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by t3h_y0u553f)
    Cambridge are supposed to have a very intensive anatomy intensive first year with dissection.
    Meh, there's a fair bit of dissection, but it's only 2 sessions a week. Good for bonding with other medics though.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: February 3, 2010

University open days

1. University of Cambridge
    Christ's College Undergraduate
    Wed, 26 Sep '18
  2. Norwich University of the Arts
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Fri, 28 Sep '18
  3. Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 29 Sep '18
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.