Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hello, guys,

I am thinking of applying to Oxford next year (2011/2012), so am starting to gather all info already. I have surfed some informative sites, such as studentfinance, oxford, etc. However, still got quite a few queries, which I hope you could advice on.

I am planning to apply for an unergraduate course - PPE (Philosophy, Politics and economics). I have been for an open event in september 2009, spoken to one of the advicers there. As far as I am aware, the application system is quite simple: TSA (thinking skills assessment) + interview. Is that correct? Or will I need to provide uni with my previous quals from school etc? The problem is, I am lithuanian, graduated from school there, currently living in UK. Will I have to transfer my quals to UK standart and provide it to the uni?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wirelesslife)
    Hello, guys,

I am thinking of applying to Oxford next year (2011/2012), so am starting to gather all info already. I have surfed some informative sites, such as studentfinance, oxford, etc. However, still got quite a few queries, which I hope you could advice on.

I am planning to apply for an unergraduate course - PPE (Philosophy, Politics and economics). I have been for an open event in september 2009, spoken to one of the advicers there. As far as I am aware, the application system is quite simple: TSA (thinking skills assessment) + interview. Is that correct? Or will I need to provide uni with my previous quals from school etc? The problem is, I am lithuanian, graduated from school there, currently living in UK. Will I have to transfer my quals to UK standart and provide it to the uni?
    Do you already have a degree? Else you'll get more info in the undergraduate oxford forum, as this topic is for postgraduate study only

ReputationRep:
    The application process is, sadly, slightly more than that. The first step is filling out your UCAS form online, which you'll have to send before October 15th. This'll have to include a personal statement (basically a letter of motivation, you can find excellent guides on this website), a reference from a teacher and the qualifications you've got. After that, you'll have to sit the TSA. Based on all that, Oxford decides if they want to invite you for an interview.
    As for qualifications, the Oxford site says for Lithuania:
    "Brandos Atestatas with an overall average of at least 9, with scores of at least 9 in the majority of subjects."
    So I'm gonna asume you have that. It'll probably be in the list of qualifications you can add on UCAS. If you already have your diploma, just enter your grades the way you got them, don't try to 'translate' them into the UK system. Admissions people will know or look up how your system works. If you get a place, you'll have to send them a photocopy of your diploma.

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys, im hoping to apply for an msc in modern chinese studies for 2011/ 2012 entry. Is anyone on this course or thinking about applying for it? thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by travellingthemap)
    Hi guys, im hoping to apply for an msc in modern chinese studies for 2011/ 2012 entry. Is anyone on this course or thinking about applying for it? thanks
    If I'm (likely) unsuccessful for undergrad, this would be a later option for me

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SPSMain)
    If I'm (likely) unsuccessful for undergrad, this would be a later option for me
    Im currently struggling to decide which course would be best for me. The msc or the mphil. The mphil is two years with part of it at peking university, which means my chinese would really improve. But then theres the tricky task of securing funding for two years. On the otherhand the msc is just one year. I looked at the stats and only 1 in 7 applicants were accepted on msc last year as opposed to 1 in 3 on the mphil... decisions decisions. Suppose i could apply for both but that means more harrassment for references and double the application fee!

Poll
Who is your favourite TV detective?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.