Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Weight loss - losing motivation watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    For the new year, I promised myself it's time to lose weight and aim to be 'average' weight. I've always been overweight. I'm currently 5ft 7 and weight 13 stone (182 pounds) making me obese I believe (I'm a 19 year old male).

The problem is, I've been going to the gym 2/3 times a week for the last 3 weeks and have lost hardly anything (a pound). I've cut out a lot of the junk and haven't touched fizzy drinks. I must admit, I could have tried a lot harder with the diet, cutting a chocolate for some fruit etc.

I don't know why I'm posting this. I'm just a little demotivated at the moment. I went to the gym this morning and weighed myself and was quite annoyed with myself for losing nothing.

I feel like sitting here with a bottle of coke and a big bar of chocolate, but I'm determined to lose the weight and am just going to have to try harder.

ReputationRep:
    Imagine yourself naked. Or just look? :coma:
    Take a mental photograph of everything you hate about yourself. Then when you feel like giving up, imagine yourself again. This should help!

Your taking good steps to get there, it's just coming off slowly.
    Stick to it, cut out more junk food if you can but other than that don't give up

Oh and by the way, muscle weighs more than fat. Whilst your weight may remain the same or go up and down, this is not a true reflexion of what you weigh.
    Invest in some body fat scales, or use the ones at boots (50p a go i think) and monitor this. This is your fat and this is what you want to lose, obviously.
    Measure yourself now. Keep a food diary. Each week, at the same time i.e every monday morning - weight/measurements/body fat.
    You've come far just by cutting stuff out so don't give in now!

Let me know how you get on

ReputationRep:
    All I can say is, if you are really motivated, you'll lose weight. If you're not motivated enough, it doesn't mean enough to you. I am 6ft4, and at my heaviest I weighed 18 stone 12lbs. (Age 16.. dark times =P) I decided to cut the crap and lose some weight, lost 3.5 stone from September to December last year, and now weigh just over 15stone.

How I did it?

1) I'm vegetarian, no fatty meats, or the lifestyle choices that eating meat encourages (burgers, steaks, etc.)
    2) Skip lunch. Feeling hungry? Man the f*** up.
    3) Cut out dairy and sugar, I drink sparkling water (6p a litre from tesco = cheaper than piss) so, drop the coke.
    4) Dry cereal for breakfast.

I didn't even start going to the gym until I was 15st7.

Everytime you go to eat some *****, think to yourself, why am I doing this, how will it hinder my goal? The enjoyment will only be temporary, whereas the glory of beating your bodies metabolism... is eternal.

ReputationRep:
    Get a hobby to do on non-gym days. Nobody cares what it is - as long as it's active and demanding.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks!

I created a spreadsheet and every Saturday I'm recording my weight.

When I started at the gym 3 weeks ago, I couldn't run on a treadmill for more then a minute. Even over the last 3 weeks, the amount of time I can exercise for has improved. This has kept me going really, as it makes me feel that I am at least getting something out of it.

This week, I'm determined not to touch any chocolate/biscuits/bad food. I'm also going to replace toast in the morning for special K (or weetabix). Also, I haven't been drinking much water, instead lots of coffee and tea. I'll therefore try and drink a lot more water.

Hopefully I'll weight a little less then 13.00 stone next Saturday.

ReputationRep:
    Well good luck, seems like you're determined enough! Hope you enjoy the new thinner you!

ReputationRep:
    Healthy, balanced diet. Don't Skip lunch, eat meat, eat dairy, eat some fatty chemical crap sometimes it doesn't matter. You don't need to be 100% strict.

Cardio and HIIT when you have built up some endurnace from the cardio. You know what you need to do, so just get on with it. No one can do it for you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EastEffect)
    I don't know why I'm posting this. I'm just a little demotivated at the moment. I went to the gym this morning and weighed myself and was quite annoyed with myself for losing nothing.
    I know how you feel. Just push onwards, weight loss is a marathon, not a sprint, and it's very rewarding at the end of the road.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks!

When I started at the gym 3 weeks ago, I couldn't run on a treadmill for more then a minute. Even over the last 3 weeks, the amount of time I can exercise for has improved. This has kept me going really, as it makes me feel that I am at least getting something out of it.

This week, I'm determined not to touch any chocolate/biscuits/bad food. I'm also going to replace toast in the morning for special K (or weetabix). Also, I haven't been drinking much water, instead lots of coffee and tea. I'll therefore try and drink a lot more water.

Just get a hobby, the gym is bloody boring.

ReputationRep:
    Diary and Carbs are the poison I have quite carbs completely and the effects are astounding I've lost a stone in 3 weeks by burning 1000 cal and having 1500 cal instead, I'm a vegetrian so its easy, for example for lunch I have some miso noodles and a boiled egg and soy sauce sounds bland but its scrummy and only 200 calories

I know you can do it you just have to make alterations that MAKE you happy not the other way

ReputationRep:
    nothing wrong with carbs, nothing wrong with good carbs at all.

Mate, maybe your diet sucks? maybe your wasting your time at the gym?

What do you do at the gym?

ReputationRep:
    Thanks!

Make sure to do weights at the gym, otherwise you'll lose a significant amount of muscle alongside fat. (Which clearly isn't your goal)

I was quite similiar to you (well worse really). As of my 18th birthday last year (Feb 09) I weighed ~210lbs. I'm 5'8" tall. I decided something really needed to be done, started doing a proper weights routine and really looking at what I ate. I lost about 1-2lbs a week, I didn't eat particularly strictly, I just ate.. Well, less.. I stopped random things that I'd got into the habit of doing, like I drank pepsi max instead of coke, stopped having a pudding after every dinner, had a casein shake at school instead of a kitkat and bag of crisps.

I'm now about 168lbs (12 stone ish) and feel much, much better for it. I've maintained this weight since ~November and am going to start a final cut beginning of spring to get down to where I want to be. (~150-155lbs).. Best of luck though mate!

ReputationRep:
    Maybe you should mix it up...lift weights every other day...throw in some hiit in there...bang flab will start to shift and you'll build muscle and get stronger providing you're on a good weights routine and upping them every sesh to a substantial weight...

ReputationRep:
    Well it's been 3 weeks, and I'm now 12 stone 11 pounds, so 3 pounds in 3 weeks isn't bad.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: February 19, 2010
Poll
Do you like carrot cake?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.