Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    The Intermediate Maths Challenge is on Thursday 4th February (another 12 days, but oh well).

Anyone excited/nervous?

What are you hoping for?

Hopefully I'll get over 110, but as long as I get into the Maclaurin I'll be ecstatic.

What did you get in previous challenges?

I didn't do the IMC last year, the Junior didn't go so well because I had 30 minutes to do it . (but silver nonetheless)

I just hope I don't get to nervous such that it would affect my performance.:o:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DerBoy)
    The Intermediate Maths Challenge is on Thursday 4th February (another 12 days, but oh well).

Anyone excited/nervous?

What are you hoping for?

Hopefully I'll get over 110, but as long as I get into the Maclaurin I'll be ecstatic.

What did you get in previous challenges?

I didn't do the IMC last year, the Junior didn't go so well because I had 30 minutes to do it . (but silver nonetheless)

I just hope I don't get to nervous such that it would affect my performance.:o:
    Think I did it last year, but having done the Senior Maths Challenge this year and comparing it to the Intermediate Maths Challenge it seems quite a lot easier so I'll be confident in doing it.

ReputationRep:
    I got a gold in the Intermediate last year. It's not really worth worrying about too much though?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Small123)
    Think I did it last year, but having done the Senior Maths Challenge this year and comparing it to the Intermediate Maths Challenge it seems quite a lot easier so I'll be confident in doing it.
    I didn't get to sit the SMC, normally people in our year don't sit it. By the time I had sat my first SMC past paper and realised 'Hey, I could actually do it' it was too late to ask my maths teacher .

What did you get in the SMC this year? I did it (outside of school) and got 80 something I think. And that would translate to about 100 in the IMC (but I have improved a lot since then ) .

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by E13)
    I got a gold in the Intermediate last year. It's not really worth worrying about too much though?
    I am a worry-er.

ReputationRep:
    Are there any prizes?

ReputationRep:
    OH yeah, the website http://cemc.uwaterloo.ca/contests/past_contests.html is pretty good practice- it's the past 10 or so Canadian Maths Challenges, for free.

Normally, the first 20 questions are much easier than the UKMT ones, but the last 5 are quite harder. So I guess overall they have similar difficulty.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by goldsilvy)
    Are there any prizes?
    I got a key ring when I did this last year and got into the Mclaurin Olympiad (top 500). I think if I'd have gotten in the top something or another in that, there were some places on a summer school up for grabs or something.

ReputationRep:
    Aw cute, back in the day when i did these i really didnt worry about them at all. Theyre nothing...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by goldsilvy)
    Are there any prizes?
    Eh..... The top 40% in the UK get certificates (Gold, Silver and Bronze) in the ratio 1:2:3 i.e. the top 7 percent or so get Gold.

And if you get into the follow-on round (Cayley/Hamilton/Maclaurin) top performers (we're talking the top 50 people or so) get a book prize.

ReputationRep:
    I didn't get to sit the SMC, normally people in our year don't sit it. By the time I had sat my first SMC past paper and realised 'Hey, I could actually do it' it was too late to ask my maths teacher .

What did you get in the SMC this year? I did it (outside of school) and got 80 something I think. And that would translate to about 100 in the IMC (but I have improved a lot since then ) .
    Yeah, I asked my Maths Faculty the day before and they let me. I was the only person in my school to get a Gold and think I got 88 . But I think I got a few marks short of 100% in the IMC past paper. You should easily be fine. What's the total and cut off marks for the Olympiad btw?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Buster_Bunny)
    Aw cute, back in the day when i did these i really didnt worry about them at all. Theyre nothing...
    They are if you are a serious mathematician .

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Buster_Bunny)
    I think they're pretty fun and there's a few olympiads and prizes to win so what do you lose by doing your best?

ReputationRep:
    Gold in the Junior one :proud:

I'm not worried at all about it tbh, it's fun :p:.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, I asked my Maths Faculty the day before and they let me. I was the only person in my school to get a Gold and think I got 88 . But I think I got a few marks short of 100% in the IMC past paper. You should easily be fine. What's the total and cut off marks for the Olympiad btw?
    I think it was 99 out of 135 you needed for the Olympiad last year.

ReputationRep:
    Well on the website it says last year's cut-offs were Bronze 39+ Silver 51+ Gold 66+.

And for the Olympiads:
    Grey Kangaroo: 66
    Pink Kangaroo: 77

Cayley Olympiad: 83
    Hamilton Olympiad: 90
    Maclaurin Olympiad: 99

But maybe it is just me, but don't these sound a bit low (particularly for the bronze/silver/gold)? 99 is quite high, but the rest are odd .

By the way, Cayley is for Year 9/S2, Hamilton is for Year 10/S3 and Maclaurin is for Year 11/S4.

ReputationRep:
    Well on the website it says last year's cut-offs were Bronze 39+ Silver 51+ Gold 66+.

And for the Olympiads:
    Grey Kangaroo: 66
    Pink Kangaroo: 77

Cayley Olympiad: 83
    Hamilton Olympiad: 90
    Maclaurin Olympiad: 99

But maybe it is just me, but don't these sound a bit low (particularly for the bronze/silver/gold)? 99 is quite high, but the rest are odd .

By the way, Cayley is for Year 9/S2, Hamilton is for Year 10/S3 and Maclaurin is for Year 11/S4.
    But I suppose in comparison to SMC, a lot wider representation of people take the IMC, thus the ranges of ability will be greater meaning the boundaries should represent it so it's not in it's entirety so low, imo.
    They seem fine to me really. What is the Maclaurin Olympiad like compared to BMO1. Because I can't do BMO's .

ReputationRep:
    I think they're pretty fun and there's a few olympiads and prizes to win so what do you lose by doing your best?
    Yeah they were fun :grin:
    But they dont actually get you anything beneficial.

Do they? O:

ReputationRep:
    They are if you are a serious mathematician .
    Yeah but i mean, its not like they get you anywhere.
    They just, showed you can do math...

ReputationRep:
    But I suppose in comparison to SMC, a lot wider representation of people take the IMC, thus the ranges of ability will be greater meaning the boundaries should represent it so it's not in it's entirety so low, imo.
    Only the top 3 classes or so in my school actually sit it.

What is the Maclaurin Olympiad like compared to BMO1. Because I can't do BMO's .
    Maclaurin is much easier, granted. You can get last year's Maclaurin paper (and others) on their website http://www.mathcomp.leeds.ac.uk/.

Try it, see what you think. I did it and got 4 complete solutions, and a really dodgy answer for 6 and nothing for 3.
    I can only do a maximum of 2 questions on a BMO, an easy algebra (if there is one) and geometry problems. But practise makes perfect. I'll be doing loads of BMO past papers in preparation for the Maclaurin, and then the Maclaurin will seem a lot easier .

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: March 19, 2010
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.