Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Buster_Bunny)
    Yeah they were fun :grin:
    But they dont actually get you anything beneficial.

Do they? O:
    Book tokens and keyrings aren't beneficial? Say whhuuuut? :p:
    I don't really do it for material possessions or anything just for fun and getting through to something that's hard and not many people get to .

ReputationRep:
    Yeah but i mean, its not like they get you anywhere.
    They just, showed you can do math...
    Nonsense. The challenges actually are used also to select people for further training in various camps, all to pick out the IMO team, or for younger students, to pick out potential future members.
    Remember, I said a serious mathematician.

And they are interesting :yep: .

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Small123)
    Book tokens and keyrings aren't beneficial? Say whhuuuut? :p:
    I don't really do it for material possessions or anything just for fun and getting through to something that's hard and not many people get to .
    Oh, i didnt mean it as in material possessions, i mean they arent really recognised as anything 'amazing' so it doesnt make you stand out in any way. Do you see what i mean? Like, ive out my 3 of them on my cv but i dont think employers really care...

ReputationRep:
    Oh, i didnt mean it as in material possessions, i mean they arent really recognised as anything 'amazing' so it doesnt make you stand out in any way. Do you see what i mean? Like, ive out my 3 of them on my cv but i dont think employers really care...
    I do and I agree with you. And I agree with DerBoy in which BMO/IMO are for the serious mathmos and these Challenges are used to find said mathmos, of which I am not :p:.

ReputationRep:
    True, but, say, in Year 11, I got high enough to get into the Olympiad, and then sufficiently well in that to be taking part in a mentoring scheme with UKMT at the moment, which only a couple of hundred people are involved in, so that's all useful stuff that I can write about on my Personal Statement and whatnot.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DerBoy)
    Nonsense. The challenges actually are used also to select people for further training in various camps, all to pick out the IMO team, or for younger students, to pick out potential future members.
    Remember, I said a serious mathematician.

And they are interesting :yep: .
    Ooooh i didnt know that
    And fyi, maths was my best subject at school, but yes, i wasnt 'serious' about it. But only because i couldnt see an exciting future with a maths degree, i thought science would be alot more fun/interesting

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Revolution is my Name)
    True, but, say, in Year 11, I got high enough to get into the Olympiad, and then sufficiently well in that to be taking part in a mentoring scheme with UKMT at the moment, which only a couple of hundred people are involved in, so that's all useful stuff that I can write about on my Personal Statement and whatnot.
    This is where my school clearly failed as they never told us any of this. Just told set 1 maths that we would have to do them... I just accepted it :p:

Ive got no idea what Olympiad/UKMT are...

ReputationRep:
    Ooooh i didnt know that
    And fyi, maths was my best subject at school, but yes, i wasnt 'serious' about it. But only because i couldnt see an exciting future with a maths degree, i thought science would be alot more fun/interesting
    Something more interesting than maths?:eek:
    Impossible!

ReputationRep:
    Ive got no idea what Olympiad/UKMT are...
    In that case I'll just have to explain.
    Olympiads are follow-on rounds for people who did pretty well in the challenges (top 500 or so).
    The UKMT is the United Kingdom Mathematical Trust, which organises all the challenges/olympiads etc.
    The IMO is the International Mathematical Olympiad, an international (obv) event where the top 6 people from each country sit two 3-and-a-half-hour papers, with 3 questions on each. Although the problem is one of those questions is equal to a billion A-Level questions.

ReputationRep:
    Something more interesting than maths?:eek:
    Impossible!
    :mmm:

ReputationRep:
    In that case I'll just have to explain.
    Olympiads are follow-on rounds for people who did pretty well in the challenges (top 500 or so).
    The UKMT is the United Kingdom Mathematical Trust, which organises all the challenges/olympiads etc.
    The IMO is the International Mathematical Olympiad, an international (obv) event where the top 6 people from each country sit two 3-and-a-half-hour papers, with 3 questions on each. Although the problem is one of those questions is equal to a billion A-Level questions.
    :eek: Whyy was i never told about this?!
    Have you ever done one of these?

ReputationRep:
    International Mathematical Olympiad is the following few rounds from the SMC not the IMC (idk if u did the SMC) but once you get the necessary mark in SMC you go to BMO1 which is a 3 hour paper with 6 questions then about 100 people go to BMO2 which is a 3 hour paper with 4 questions then IMO which has been explained. It is so so so so so hard to even do BMO1, imo. BMO1 is probably harder than any A level module tbh.

ReputationRep:
    Olympiads- not officially, but perhaps (hopefully) the Maclaurin this year.
    IMO- :teehee: . Let's just say in 2 and a half years, I will hopefully be able to get a couple of the questions.

ReputationRep:
    i'm sure you can get the papers online somewhere.

alternatively, there is a youtube video of the USA team at some event describing how each of them tackled the 6 questions of some particular year.

EDIT:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3tpDqliD6Ss Part 1
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lOVK-R7H6xc Part 2

Like you, we were never told about any of this, and I only found out what BMO even *was* about 6 months ago (And I'm on a gap year, applying for maths! )

ReputationRep:
    I signed up to do it in maths yesterday, and I've really no idea what it is, but I've got nothing to lose I suppose xD

ReputationRep:
    I did the Mclaurin one; that you've got 2 hours to do 6 questions, rather than the one hour to do 25 questions in the IMC, gives some indication of the step up in difficulty.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Revolution is my Name)
    I did the Mclaurin one; that you've got 2 hours to do 6 questions, rather than the one hour to do 25 questions in the IMC, gives some indication of the step up in difficulty.
    Savage! How did you do?

ReputationRep:
    Olympiads- not officially, but perhaps (hopefully) the Maclaurin this year.
    IMO- :teehee: . Let's just say in 2 and a half years, I will hopefully be able to get a couple of the questions.
    Ooh well good luck to you! :awesome:

ReputationRep:
    Savage! How did you do?
    I think I got a Merit or something, which was top 50% of the people doing the Olympiad.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zdo0o)
    i'm sure you can get the papers online somewhere.

alternatively, there is a youtube video of the USA team at some event describing how each of them tackled the 6 questions of some particular year.

EDIT:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3tpDqliD6Ss Part 1
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lOVK-R7H6xc Part 2

Like you, we were never told about any of this, and I only found out what BMO even *was* about 6 months ago (And I'm on a gap year, applying for maths! )
    Same, I fortunately stumbled upon it on the holy internet. If I ever become a maths teacher (:teehee:) I will make sure all my students are aware of this competitive side of maths.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: March 19, 2010
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.