Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tehforum)
    I doubt it,... it'd be an invasion of privacy, hence the word "private".
    I'm only assuming it's possible due to the post on exam discussion; go read it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Small123)
    I'm only assuming it's possible due to the post on exam discussion; go read it.
    Just because I only have <10 posts doesn't mean that I didn't lurk around for several weeks.

Anyone found to be discussing Edexcel/CIE/STEP exams via PM before sufficient time has passed will also receive a warning.
    Doesn't mention UKMT Maths Challenge, however as many other have mentioned waiting until tomorrow isn't such a difficult thing to do.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tehforum)
    Just because I only have <10 posts doesn't mean that I didn't lurk around for several weeks.

Doesn't mention UKMT Maths Challenge, however as many other have mentioned waiting until tomorrow isn't such a difficult thing to do.
    Where did you pick that up from? I was just saying that the exam discussion post talks about PMs, and that the infomation I said was pretty much regurgitated from there.
    However I'm sure UKMT is taken over the world.

ReputationRep:
    It's tomorrow now.... let's discuss!

I found it generally pretty easy, answered pretty much everything except a couple in the 'minus two' section and the supergran question.

ReputationRep:
    I did crap, doubt I've got into the Maclaurin. Which sucks because I had less time, and 4 questions I should have answered/ answered correctly.

ReputationRep:
    I answered everything. Im hoping for a good score - enough for maclaurin. Ideally I'll have a score over 120 but I think in the region of 100-110 is more likely

ReputationRep:
    EVERYONE : Was it easier or harder than last years?
    I'm trying to guess the cut-off for Hamilton Olympiad

thanks

ReputationRep:
    The Question Paper is now online here: http://www.mathcomp.leeds.ac.uk/b_file.php?id=254

...and the solutions are now here: http://www.mathcomp.leeds.ac.uk/b_file.php?id=255

Enjoy

ReputationRep:
    I found it easier but I made some really stupid mistakes .

Anyone know of any cut off scores from past years? I want to try and work out what the ones for this year are likely to be.
    • PS Helper

PS Helper
    Well I definitely didn't get into the Maclaurin. I doubt I even got Gold this year.

ReputationRep:
    I think I've got 86 after checking the solutions, made a very stupid mistake... anyone any idea what that score might get me?

ReputationRep:
    I got 84
    Made some really really stupid mistakes

ReputationRep:
    I didn't do well at all - I can't remember my exact answers, but I know I didn't get higher than 60 xD
    Ah, well. I reckon the other people from my school either did as badly, or worse, than I did - none of them read the front, so they didn't know you loose marks for wrong answers, and out of those I spoke to, all of them guessed around 10 answers :L

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cz100)
    I think I've got 86 after checking the solutions, made a very stupid mistake... anyone any idea what that score might get me?
    Depending on your year, perhaps the relevant Olympiad, but it's most likely that 86 would get you into the Pink Kangaroo and it's a pretty certain gold..

Well done

cf: last year's thresholds can be found near the bottom of this page: http://www.mathcomp.leeds.ac.uk/indi...ate-challenge/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mastermind_107)
    Depending on your year, perhaps the relevant Olympiad, but it's most likely that 86 would get you into the Pink Kangaroo and it's a pretty certain gold..

Well done

cf: last year's thresholds can be found near the bottom of this page: http://www.mathcomp.leeds.ac.uk/indi...ate-challenge/
    what do you think hamilton Olympiad cut-off might be?
    thanks a lot

ReputationRep:
    Woo, 98 and the cut off for MacLaurin last year was .... 99 -_-. Anyone think it was an easier/harder paper?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mastermind_107)

Well done

thanks, I'm in year 12 so I think I'll probably be getting the Kangaroo like last year
    • PS Helper

PS Helper
    It just shows how poor the questions can be on the Maths Challenge. Two years in a row I got top in my school, Gold, Olympiad Merit. Yet this year I barely got a gold (from my calculations). So inconsistent.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Groat)
    It just shows how poor the questions can be on the Maths Challenge. Two years in a row I got top in my school, Gold, Olympiad Merit. Yet this year I barely got a gold (from my calculations). So inconsistent.
    Does that mean lower boundaries possibly?
    • PS Helper

PS Helper
    (Original post by Small123)
    Does that mean lower boundaries possibly?
    I hope, but I doubt that will get me into the Olympiad.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: March 19, 2010
Poll
Do I go to The Streets tomorrow night?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.