Turn on thread page Beta

How to get A* in French GCSE~? watch

ReputationRep:
    How can one achieve it?

Learning lists of vocab? For reading,listening, speaking?

ReputationRep:
    I'm getting D's at the moment , would love to get a B though, so good topic

ReputationRep:
    Be French.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, if you're with AQA,there's a list somewhere which gives all of the vocab they'll use in their exams.

Also, remember to use past, present and future tenses in your writing (and paragraphs), otherwise you can't get above a C! :yep:

Anyway, if you've got any questions about French, I'd be happy to help.

ReputationRep:
    Hey. I got an A* at French GCSE last year, so I know how horrible the exams are (especially speaking.)
    There's not much you can really do for listening and reading - just make sure you know the key vocab for the different topics you've covered and the tenses, really. They're not hard - at least, the practise papers we did were way harder.
    With speaking, it's the same thing - make sure you've brushed up on vocab etc. (for the conversation part) and as for the questions, just make sure you learn your answers religiously. Some people prefer to learn them like a script, others are more laidback and try to remember the key points of a question - I was the former, even though we were told that's bad, haha.
    (Extra tip: make sure you know how to use the past, present and future for your writing exam! Incredibly important!)

ReputationRep:
    Make a long list of the grammatical concepts you need to learn thoroughly, and a list of all the topics which you need to be able to talk about in terms of vocab/phrases. Take one grammatical topic, and one vocab topic (i.e - forming the present tense & going to the doctors) each week, and spend 15-20 minutes each night going through it, and doing exercises for it. Solid grammar and decent vocab are all you need for the oral/reading/writing or cwk.
    In terms of the listening, obviously you'll need to know what you're listening for in terms of vocab and grammar, but exposure is quite important too. Get hold of as much ~ GCSE level listening material as you can, and listen as often and consistenly as possible. You could try asking your teacher to copy the textbook tape for you, or failing that, the BBC has a good intermediate level series called "ma france" which is well worth listening too. There's also things on about.com, and the journal en francais facile published daily by radio france international which can be heard on their website is good too. A bit of googling and some searches on iTunes will take you far

ReputationRep:
    I got an A* without being able to speak the language.

The reading paper is the easiest to get loads of marks on. For that learning vocab and a bit of common sense is the best idea.
    For the listening paper, listen to the tone of the voices as well as the words themselves. You can usually tell if it's a positive or negative answer from that.
    Writing - make sure you get at least three tenses in, and put as many opinions as you can. It's partially about ticking boxes. If you do those things, you should be ok.
    Speaking - again, opinions and tenses! Also try and get full marks on the role play, just do lots of practise ones and guess what the 'unknown' part is going to be. It's usually fairly easy to guess.

Practise papers are probably the other main thing you can do.

ReputationRep:
    I got an A*, but I have no idea how I did it. French was my easiest subject, so I guess I'm not of much help. Read a lot - even if it's your textbook. Try to converse in french, it'll help you get an 'ear' for what's right and wrong.

ReputationRep:
    Learn all your vocab. (I didn't).

ReputationRep:
    Make sure you nail your speaking exam,cos I didn't and it cost me an A*. Pretty much the rest of what everyone else said,use lots of different tenses and learn phrases off by heart so you can use them for back up on all the topics and in any of the exams.

ReputationRep:
    This reminds me:
    I'm doing AQA french and my stupid teacher has entered me for higher for all except listening so I can only achieve a A.

ReputationRep:
    With speaking, our teacher essentially gave us a list of about 10 questions each time we did a topic. We wrote answers to these, had them corrected and typed them up.
    Then, I memorised every single one. Must have been about 50 overall. Made sure my pronunciation was right. Then, when you have the conversation/discussion bit, you already have your answers. I'd say that's how I got my A*. Speaking (spontaneously, on an unknown topic and getting all the grammar right) is pretty much the hardest skill.

ReputationRep:
    With regards to speaking, while I know it's important, I wouldn't worry too much about it. With my Italian GCSE, I managed to get an A* despite completely messing up the oral. My presentation went well, but the questions were awful and the role play was passable. Overall, I can't have got above a low B for it, but I still managed to get an A* - basically, if you aren't very good at one of the sections, or have a bad day in the exam, it's not a disaster, provided the other sections go well.

ReputationRep:
    Do your oral (where you take notes with you) and make a secret code from the picture notes. That's what I did, and I turned my fail into a B. :awesome:

ReputationRep:
    mon francais est merdique

ReputationRep:
    I just learnt a ton of vocab.
    Do some listening/reading practise online as often as you can. We used http://www.zut.org.uk/index.html at gcse.

ReputationRep:
    Vocab and vocab.

Is there any specific information for listening?

E.g. where to get past papers from?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by im so academic)
    Is there any specific information for listening?

E.g. where to get past papers from?
    I have some! :proud:

http://www.freewebs.com/muppetykid/frenchfiles.htm

ReputationRep:
    Vocab, and make sure you learn your oral as well as possible, I got an A* in Italian GCSE but it's basically the same process... it wasn't hard. The reading paper was pretty easy too. Practise listening to French, just so you don't get completely thrown when it comes to the exam.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: April 1, 2010
Poll
Cats or dogs?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.