Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

If slumdog India can do it, why can't we? watch

ReputationRep:
    Watch kevin Mcloud, it's wierd, he says in Dharavi they recycle 80% of plastic, and yet in Britain we only recycle about 20%.
    Why is this?
    Why are deprived Indian Slums more economically friendly than us?
    Discus.

ReputationRep:
    They're from a religion that cares more for the environment so recycling and other ecological acts will always be at the forefront of their mind?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jeester)
    Watch kevin Mcloud, it's wierd, he says in Dharavi they recycle 80% of plastic, and yet in Britain we only recycle about 20%.
    Why is this?
    Why are deprived Indian Slums more economically friendly than us?
    Discus.

I get the impression your either racist or dislike india/poor people..

What a pointless thread....!!!!!! :mad:

ReputationRep:
    I recycle plastic, do you?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheMeister)
    They're from a religion that cares more for the environment so recycling and other ecological acts will always be at the forefront of their mind?
    there are MANY religions in India (it's slightly on the big side, you know).. so your generalisation doesn't work here.

ReputationRep:
    My mother tells me that EVERYTHING they could possibly recycle would be, simply because wasting was not in their genes. The meal for the next day was never guaranteed and they were somewhat forced to value and appreciate every single thing they had in their lives.

Because of this they would recycle and reuse whatever they could. Nowadays who cares what happens to a plastic box? We can just buy a new one for 20p! Our wealth is also our curse!

Edit: my mum is from south asia btw, should've mentioned.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by oliver5084)

that's because you are a sensitive little pussy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by oliver5084)

I don't really see how you came to that conclusion?
    I am asking how come Indian slums recycle more than we do? 80% compared to 20%.

ReputationRep:
    Because they have people who work on their giant rubbish dumps collecting things they can sell, including recyclables.?? thats like a question i dunno really.

ReputationRep:
    I think I did something on this in geography: it's the lowest caste (dalit?) that does all the recycling, so it's their only income: it follows that they do as much of as possible in order to make enough money to survive.
    I don't think it's a government thing.

Don't quote me on this though, this is just what I remember from 3 units ago!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by seeker1)
    My mother tells me that EVERYTHING they could possibly recycle would be, simply because wasting was not in their genes. The meal for the next day was never guaranteed and they were somewhat forced to value and appreciate every single thing they had in their lives.

Because of this they would recycle and reuse whatever they could. Nowadays who cares what happens to a plastic box? We can just buy a new one for 20p! Our wealth is also our curse!

Edit: my mum is from south asia btw, should've mentioned.
    this is probably the most accurate answer you'll be getting.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LeChat)
    I think I did something on this in geography: it's the lowest caste (dalit?) that does all the recycling, so it's their only income: it follows that they do as much of as possible in order to make enough money to survive.
    I don't think it's a government thing.

Don't quote me on this though, this is just what I remember from 3 units ago!
    I think you're right, he just said that it is a largly illegal and unregulated thing.
    Crazy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by unamed)
    there are MANY religions in India (it's slightly on the big side, you know).. so your generalisation doesn't work here.
    Yes, but the general point being that religions in India (the main ones regardless) have teachings for the respect of others and the environment.

ReputationRep:
    He's just said it's become a middle class fasion to recycle. Very true.

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    Yes, but the general point being that religions in India (the main ones regardless) have teachings for the respect of others and the environment.
    Perhaps, but I doubt that that had much affect on their habits. They recycle a) because they see it as a means of survival (sell it, use as much as they can) and b) because of their religion. It won't be on the forefront of their minds - unless they're super-religious - which very few of those in the slums can be, given their living conditions. Or they would know only what they've been told, which may not include the respect for the environment in a major way. (if that made any sense whatsoever)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by unamed)
    Perhaps, but I doubt that that had much affect on their habits. They recycle a) because they see it as a means of survival (sell it, use as much as they can) and b) because of their religion. It won't be on the forefront of their minds - unless they're super-religious - which very few of those in the slums can be, given their living conditions. Or they would know only what they've been told, which may not include the respect for the environment in a major way. (if that made any sense whatsoever)
    It did make sense and was a much better statement of what I think, compared with what I wrote.

ReputationRep:
    In that film he goes on to look at countless examples of people living in appalling and demoralising conditions in order to collect and separate the materials for recycling. It's not possible to continue to have the high quality of life we enjoy here, and recycle that intensely.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MSB)
    I knew someone would pick me up on it at somepoint, surprised it took so long!

ReputationRep:
    It did make sense and was a much better statement of what I think, compared with what I wrote.
    And here I thought I was going to confuse you so much you'd just have to submit to my superior intelligence![/sarc] (by the way, completely off topic, but did you know of the new upcoming punctuation, the sarcmarck? Sounds very useful, don't you think?)

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.