Turn on thread page Beta

What would you miss most about the UK watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sabertooth)
    If you left (either voluntarily or forcibly)?
    I love how the UK doesn't take itself too seriously :o:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by heidigirl)
    And yeah, the NHS is something you miss. Nice not to have to think about what your health insurance covers before you go to the doctors.
    Yeah because the NHS is free right....

This NHS fetish is annoying, what sort of reason is that? Why is the NHS any better than the German, French, Singaporian, Australian or even insured American system?

ReputationRep:
    I don't know, but my sister hasn't lived in this country for any considerable period of times since she graduated five years ago, and she tells me she misses:
    - Classic British television - things like Midsomer Murders, Miss Marple, Blackadder. I can testify to this, because when she occasionally comes home, the only channel she watches is ITV3 :rolleyes:
    - Cadbury's - She's lived in a few countries, none of which sell Cadbury's (or at least not for a reasonable price). When I went out to see her in Colombia a couple of years ago, I tried their most popular chocolate brand, Jet. It was disgusting :o:
    - British tea - I can also agree with this. I've never had a cup of tea abroad that I particularly enjoyed. You can't beat the British teabag!
    - Fish & chips
    - British driving etiquette - apparently, we have the most civilised drivers in the world.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ~Viola~)
    Obviously family and friends, choice of vegetarian food and umm gonna sound wierd but carpet, I'd move someone hotter than here but of course most places have marble floors, I miss carpet!

THIS! I live abroad, and everytime I arrive at a British airport I get the overwhelming 'coseyness' of carpeted floors

I'll talk about what I love about England- its diversity, amazing countrysides, 'buzzing' cities (depending where you go), the west end, proper milk (seriously) and, at times, snow!

...cant wait til I go to England :/

ReputationRep:
    our dysfunctional society

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Seanisonfire)
    Muslims
    Just log onto TSR, it satisfies my daily mohammedan fix.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SpamBa)
    I have left the country temporarily and what I am really missing culturally-speaking is the kind of self-deprecating sarcastic humour that we have in England. In France they take themselves much more seriously, and its boring.
    :yes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xelarose)
    How polite we are as a whole
    I thought that. Then I came here and I changed my mind.

ReputationRep:
    british tv
    nhs
    our lovely currency
    people i left behind
    minstrels

ReputationRep:
    somalians.

ReputationRep:
    bread
    gravy and chips
    milk
    cereal

BBC breakfast
    Radio 1
    the buses

ReputationRep:
    High taxes and **** transport... I've grown used to complaining about them.

ReputationRep:
    Nothing!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by superwolf)
    If you've got a vpn thingmy for uni you can log in to that and watch iplayer abroad.
    No, I haven't cos I'm in an apartment which my work pays for. I was thinking of trying to go through a proxy but I've been watching the odd thing on You Tube for now.

ReputationRep:
    I've spent 4 years out of the UK for university (in Denmark and Iceland), and the only thing I missed was good, strong, English ale. Sadly England (dunno about Scotland, Wales and Ireland; never been) seems to be the only Northern European country to have kept alive the ancient beers, which is a sad thing that I'm sure many Vikings are currently turning in their graves about.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aphotic Cosmos)
    The rain and the light.

Britain's natural light is phenomenal - it may not be sunny, but our predominant overcast conditions in the mid-latitudes give Britain an incredible light that is hard to duplicate anywhere else in the world. I'm only speaking as a photographer on this one - I doubt many people notice or care about it.

The rain because I genuinely love it and find it soothing. Most places I would consider living in abroad either have less rain or simply have more precipitation in the form of snow, which I don't like.
    What.. England has **** light.. Medium light time in summer, bad light times in winter.. there are places that have like 18 hours sunlight in the summer.. it's like.. you know how calm and peaceful it is at around 11pm? Imagine that calmness but with light and heat.. just chilling on a patio with some friends at midnight with some drinks in the soothing summer warmth..

The rain in the UK is usually accompanied with lots of wind which means it is very rarely calming.. :p:

ReputationRep:
    I don't know. As I don't speak any foreign languages, or have stayed in another country for longer than a fortnight, I've never really taken in enough of a culture to work out what they do and don't have. That's probably as a result of holidaying with other Brits though.

I find going up north a cultural experience, so moving to another country would be :O

Probably the NHS, the idea of ambulance drivers asking you whether you have health insurance or not horrifies me.

ReputationRep:
    the country... its incredible, peaceful...still british too, not like the cities

ReputationRep:
    British chocolate, and the quirky randomness of my hometown (london)!
    Also the sarcasm and humour of the british people. :yes:

ReputationRep:
    british humour, chocolate, cider, the bbc, british telly as a whole, tea, people who know how to make a proper cuppa, and queues.

Poll
Who do you think it's more helpful to talk about mental health with?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.