Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I have applied for Psychology at Glasgow uni. I was just wondering if anyone does this course and can tell me what it is like. I noticed on the website that from level 1 to level 2, the psychology students are cut by half. Why is this?

If anyone else has anything to say on Glasgow uni, please do. I am also quite worried that Glasgow is too rough, but I know all large cities have a higher crime rate. Is it really bad though?

ReputationRep:
    I am also quite worried that Glasgow is too rough, but I know all large cities have a higher crime rate. Is it really bad though? :rofl:

I honestly don't know where Glasgow gets it's bad rep from. The area where the university is very safe & it is actually rather posh, being in the west end and all.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BE2506)
    Hi, I have applied for Psychology at Glasgow uni. I was just wondering if anyone does this course and can tell me what it is like. I noticed on the website that from level 1 to level 2, the psychology students are cut by half. Why is this?

If anyone else has anything to say on Glasgow uni, please do. I am also quite worried that Glasgow is too rough, but I know all large cities have a higher crime rate. Is it really bad though?
    Psychology is possibly the most popular course at the university, and is almost always oversubscribed which is why only those who have applied through UCAS for it are guaranteed an honours place. Quite a lot of students are interested in the subject matter and so choose to take it as a second or third subject if they can.

The university is located in the affluent west end of the city. You really have no reason to venture to the rougher peripheral estates. Partick and Maryhill aren't very nice, but they're not too bad as long as you don't make trouble and don't go flashing your expensive belongings around.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheOneWho)
    Psychology is possibly the most popular course at the university, and is almost always oversubscribed which is why only those who have applied through UCAS for it are guaranteed an honours place. Quite a lot of students are interested in the subject matter and so choose to take it as a second or third subject if they can.

The university is located in the affluent west end of the city. You really have no reason to venture to the rougher peripheral estates. Partick and Maryhill aren't very nice, but they're not too bad as long as you don't make trouble and don't go flashing your expensive belongings around.
    Thank you , so just to clarify, the big reduction in students at level 2+ is because students take it as one of their extra 2 subjects in their first year?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pamelaa)
    I am also quite worried that Glasgow is too rough, but I know all large cities have a higher crime rate. Is it really bad though? :rofl:

I honestly don't know where Glasgow gets it's bad rep from. The area where the university is very safe & it is actually rather posh, being in the west end and all.
    You have made me feel a little bit more optimistic, thanks . However, your profile thing says you want to drop Psychology in your second year, why is this?

ReputationRep:
    You have made me feel a little bit more optimistic, thanks . However, your profile thing says you want to drop Psychology in your second year, why is this?
    I don't go to Glasgow University, my friend seems to enjoy it though who goes. I just don't like it :dontknow: much prefer history.

ReputationRep:
    Thank you , so just to clarify, the big reduction in students at level 2+ is because students take it as one of their extra 2 subjects in their first year?
    Yes, most probably, or some decide they want to change to another course. The system is quite flexible in allowing students to change course.

ReputationRep:
    Yes, most probably, or some decide they want to change to another course. The system is quite flexible in allowing students to change course.
    Cool, what do you study there?

Are they flexible with what extra subjects you take? I like the sound of Classics, Latin or some Neuroscience course.

Oh, and what do you think of the life there in general, and the night life?

Sorry for bombarding you with all these questions .

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pamelaa)
    I don't go to Glasgow University, my friend seems to enjoy it though who goes. I just don't like it :dontknow: much prefer history.
    Ah, I see. Well thank you for your information.
    • PS Helper
    • Peer Support Volunteers

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Peer Support Volunteers
    I live in Glasgow, go to School in the city centre. As a whole Glasgow is a good city, obviously there is some rough bits...but the main city centre is fine, 'cept from the occasional annoying drunkard or ned but you just ignore them.

ReputationRep:
    Cool, what do you study there?

Are they flexible with what extra subjects you take? I like the sound of Classics, Latin or some Neuroscience course.

Oh, and what do you think of the life there in general, and the night life?

Sorry for bombarding you with all these questions .
    I'm a fourth year geographer.

Yes, they are very flexible with what courses you can take. Basically you can choose anything from the course catalogue as long as you fulfill any pre-requisites (most don't have any) and there isn't a timetable clash. As for neuroscience, you wouldn't be able to do that. You would need to do biology. As a psychology student you will need to take the required statistics course in either first or second year, just so you know.

Glasgow is a pretty big place, so has something for everything. The night life will be able to suit any and all tastes. I like it.

ReputationRep:
    I'm a fourth year geographer.

Yes, they are very flexible with what courses you can take. Basically you can choose anything from the course catalogue as long as you fulfill any pre-requisites (most don't have any) and there isn't a timetable clash. As for neuroscience, you wouldn't be able to do that. You would need to do biology. As a psychology student you will need to take the required statistics course in either first or second year, just so you know.

Glasgow is a pretty big place, so has something for everything. The night life will be able to suit any and all tastes. I like it.
    Cool thank you.

What about the size...do you think the university still feels personal, or does it feel quite large with lots of students and tutors who don't care?

ReputationRep:
    Have you visited? Make sur you visit. I was set on glasgow uni then I visited and didn't like it lol, I thought it was too posh :p: So no, not rough at all

Actually that area is really safe. Just don't go wandering about on your own in the early hours lol

ReputationRep:
    Cool thank you.

What about the size...do you think the university still feels personal, or does it feel quite large with lots of students and tutors who don't care?
    Well, obviously it's a big place. When in first and second year you will find that classes are large and lecturers probably won't really get to know you. But once you progress through to honours you will get to know members of staff as well as other students much better.

ReputationRep:
    Well, obviously it's a big place. When in first and second year you will find that classes are large and lecturers probably won't really get to know you. But once you progress through to honours you will get to know members of staff as well as other students much better.
    Thank you for your time.

ReputationRep:
    I applied for Psychology at Glasgow and I went to the open day, the area is really nice and all the people I talked to were really friendly, I was also concerned that it was a big place but everyone I met was lovely =)

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.